List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Are they the next 3 games? Suns, Lions and Tigers all look winnable after this weekend!
TBH mate i cant tell you which ones we will win , By rights we should be a chance to beat , Blues , Dogs , Demons ,Suns , Lions , Dockers and North BUT
Which which of those teams turn up on the day will make a big difference
Suns wont be easy at home
Dogs up and down all over the place but have Beaten , Syd,Tigers and Lions at Marvel
Demons are one of our most likely victims , unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat we should beat them
Dockers will be tough , they have beaten GWS and Pies away , thats pretty good form , if we had done that people would be talking top 4
North will not be easy , in fact they will be tough to beat IMO
Lions , Super talented team who although are better at home will still be super tough to beat , they regularly kick 100 plus points a game , we cant
Blues , well we fell over the line against them last time so it wont be any different next time we play them
Tigers , They will get a few blokes back by the time we play them so i wouldnt be getting our hopes up of beating them

So to answer your question id say , Demons , Blues and then no idea

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
TBH mate i cant tell you which ones we will win , By rights we should be a chance to beat , Blues , Dogs , Demons ,Suns , Lions , Dockers and North BUT
Dogs up and down all over the place but have Beaten , Syd,Tigers and Lions at Marvel
Demons are one of our most likely victims , unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat we should beat them
Dockers will be tough , they have beaten GWS and Pies away , thats pretty good form , if we had done that people would be talking top 4
Lions , Super talented team who although are better at home will still be super tough to beat , they regularly kick 100 plus points a game , we cant
Blues , well we fell over the line against them last time so it wont be any different next time we play them
Tigers , They will get a few blokes back by the time we play them so i wouldnt be getting our hopes up of beating them

Seems a pretty reasonable analysis. Agree with most of what you say plus I think demons will be tough next time we play them too. They should have May and Lever in and with some match fitness.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It will be interesting to see what our draft strategy is because over the past two drafts we’ve brought in Clark, Coffield & Bytel. The club may see those three as filling a lot of our midfield needs along with our more mature mids Gresham, Billings, Dunstan, Ross, etc.

If we do go for a mid I hope we prioritise getting a Cripps / Fyfe big bull type. But is that Bytel or who is that type in this draft?

Human Person

Custom title
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
It will be interesting to see what our draft strategy is because over the past two drafts we’ve brought in Clark, Coffield & Bytel. The club may see those three as filling a lot of our midfield needs along with our more mature mids Gresham, Billings, Dunstan, Ross, etc.

If we do go for a mid I hope we prioritise getting a Cripps / Fyfe big bull type. But is that Bytel or who is that type in this draft?

I’d say Bytel is like a Clayton Oliver, he’s not so much of a bull, but rather jumps on the loose ball and fires a quick accurate handball out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

I just did the ladder predictor , and had us 14th at the end. We were only one win and percentage away from finishing 9th , and 3 games from 8th spot where I had Brisbane on only 12 wins.
All will probably come down to player availability. Hanners , Steven , Carlisle ...
Finishing 14th is Pick 5 , perhaps picking behind Carlton , Gold Coast , North and WBulldogs.
What do we do

I think the worst thing we can do is keep assuming we’ve got things that we don’t. For how many years did we hear “we don’t need any inside mids we’ve got Armo, Ross and Dunstan” and that hasn’t exactly worked out. Biggest reason why we can’t get out of the rebuilding phase IMO. Bytel is an 18 or 19 year old who hasn’t even played a VFL game since we drafted him we can’t be relying on him for anything.

Keep drafting mids until we’ve got too many of them has to be the strategy for mine.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the worst thing we can do is keep assuming we’ve got things that we don’t. For how many years did we hear “we don’t need any inside mids we’ve got Armo, Ross and Dunstan” and that hasn’t exactly worked out. Biggest reason why we can’t get out of the rebuilding phase IMO. Bytel is an 18 or 19 year old who hasn’t even played a VFL game since we drafted him we can’t be relying on him for anything.

Keep drafting mids until we’ve got too many of them has to be the strategy for mine.

I get what you are saying but if you want to go down that line then surely you just pick best available & dismiss the idea of only picking mids?

I get what you are saying but if you want to go down that line then surely you just pick best available & dismiss the idea of only picking mids?

Hasn't been great for us so far. We have a really unbalanced list. GWS find spots for mids in different spots. Greene was a gun mid and they made him a forward etc. We take best available and they aren't very good any way. Mids are much easier to rate at the draft too.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
With GC having Picks #1 and #2 this year (you work out how), and us having a pick in the 4-5 range per TB above, how does that change our approach to this draft?
If at all.
Assuming Gubby doesn’t get his hands on the pick first.

I did the ladder predictor & have us finishing 15th with 7 wins. The wins against GC & Carlton. I’m not confident enough to pick us against North x 2, Lions (home) Dogs or Dees. Scope is there to win a few more. But on current prediction I have us with pick 4 in the draft. Surely there’s guns around that pick?

Yeah, the chances of us making finals rely on us winning every game around our level, it's so unlikely that you'd be crazy to get your hopes up.

There are some good mids in around where we will be picking. Knightmare reckons that Ryan Byrnes plays like Jack Steven and is a Sandy boy, with them training at Moorabin, we should be able to monitor him well.

He has Brodie Kemp at 4 which he rates as Bont like in the way he plays. Now finals aren't seeming likely I've moved on to the draft.

With GC having Picks #1 and #2 this year (you work out how), and us having a pick in the 4-5 range per TB above, how does that change our approach to this draft?
If at all.
Assuming Gubby doesn’t get his hands on the pick first.

Why do GC have the first 2 picks? Carlton will s**t the bed and finish last for Adelaide for sure.

Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep , to twist Ron Barassi's words somewhat ... "give me some mids and I'll shut up."

If we had pick 4 or 5 I’d look at trading it along with 2020 first round pick for pick 1 & adelaides 2nd round pick. It’s a massive gamble but it sounds like Rowell is worth it.

I reckon it's a huge risk, I think I'd rather 2 picks and hope. How many good players went between 3 and 10 compared with pick 1. It seems pick 1 has a lower percentage chance of being the best player in their draft year to me.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon it's a huge risk, I think I'd rather 2 picks and hope. How many good players went between 3 and 10 compared with pick 1. It seems pick 1 has a lower percentage chance of being the best player in their draft year to me.

I would’ve done that deal for Walsh & that isn’t hindsight. He just looked bullet proof & someone that would slot straight in as a 25 possession player. Already looks better than any mid currently in our 22.

I haven’t followed this year’s draft so not too sure about Rowell but if he’s seen as a safe pick like Walsh I’d pull the trigger.

I would’ve done that deal for Walsh & that isn’t hindsight. He just looked bullet proof & someone that would slot straight in as a 25 possession player. Already looks better than any mid currently in our 22.

I haven’t followed this year’s draft so not too sure about Rowell but if he’s seen as a safe pick like Walsh I’d pull the trigger.

He's probably more De Goey or Dusty in his forward mid thing but the worst of the types are Petracca or a kind of worst of both worlds situation.
I'm not across it either in reality but he'd want to be the best player by a long way to make that call on him.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's probably more De Goey or Dusty in his forward mid thing but the worst of the types are Petracca or a kind of worst of both worlds situation.
I'm not across it either in reality but he'd want to be the best player by a long way to make that call on him.

I’ve read the Joel Selwood comparison floating around & that he’s more an inside-outside well balanced mid more than a medium fwd-mid prototype but like I said I haven’t followed it much.

I called him wrong, he looked beige as and his disposal wasn't awesome. His ability to just rack up possessions is incredible though. It's been a good draft so far and with a couple of Kings and Rankine to come will only get better you imagine.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I called him wrong, he looked beige as and his disposal wasn't awesome. His ability to just rack up possessions is incredible though. It's been a good draft so far and with a couple of Kings and Rankine to come will only get better you imagine.

Last year I said Walsh & Max will be the best two from the draft. It’s early days & I’m going to stick with that prediction. Rozee looks brilliant as well & plenty of others will come on.

Last edited:
Back