List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why would Greene cost 2 first rounders at the draft with him being academy? Ami missing something?
Coz so far he's rated top 3. If gws are forced to bid on him within that range it will suck their 2 top picks dry of points. It would be advantageous for other clubs to force them into it, even to call him at p1.
But if they have p4/5 then he'll likely slide to that point, they'll get the next best kid then snaffle Green with their later picks. Or they'll minimize the damage if he's bid on in the top 3. It's a win win for them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's with the circle jerk about Bonar?

Because one poster goes on about him.
I think it makes sense chasing those types. Plenty of potenti but can't crack the senior side. May look for more opportunity and might not cost the world due to him mostly playing NEAFL. Similar to how we got Steele.

Coz so far he's rated top 3. If gws are forced to bid on him within that range it will suck their 2 top picks dry of points. It would be advantageous for other clubs to force them into it, even to call him at p1.
But if they have p4/5 then he'll likely slide to that point, they'll get the next best kid then snaffle Green with their later picks. Or they'll minimize the damage if he's bid on in the top 3. It's a win win for them.

I still don't get it. Don't they only have to use their next available pick so even if they win the Premiership and get pick 18 they can use that even if he's bid on at 1 or 2. I'm no expert but that's what I thought was the way they do it. If they don't have a first round pick they can make it up with points so a second and third maybe as an example.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I still don't get it. Don't they only have to use their next available pick so even if they win the Premiership and get pick 18 they can use that even if he's bid on at 1 or 2. I'm no expert but that's what I thought was the way they do it. If they don't have a first round pick they can make it up with points so a second and third maybe as an example.
Their first pick is Methondon's. Their p18 will become a 4th round if they have to match a high bid. I thought...

Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

Let's say they have pick 11 (Essendon's) and pick 18.

Green gets bid on at pick 3, which they can match with 1787 points (2234 minus discount). Pick 11 is 1329 points, so it disappears. Pick 18 is is 985 points, so they have 527 points left. So pick 18 turns into pick 35.

So an early bid for Green would destroy GWS's two first rounders, hence why they would be keen to get into the top 5.

*edited, used wrong points*

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think it makes sense chasing those types. Plenty of potenti but can't crack the senior side. May look for more opportunity and might not cost the world due to him mostly playing NEAFL. Similar to how we got Steele.
If he's as highly rated at GWS they wont let him go IMO.

If they do, you'd have to question our interest if any.

Let's say they have pick 11 (Essendon's) and pick 18.

Green gets bid on at pick 3, which they can match with 1787 points (2234 minus discount). Pick 11 is 1329 points, so it disappears. Pick 18 is is 985 points, so they have 527 points left. So pick 18 turns into pick 35.

So an early bid for Green would destroy GWS's two first rounders, hence why they would be keen to get into the top 5.

*edited, used wrong points*

I thought that points was only if you didn't have a first round pick you could still get a higher rated player from other rounds by making up points?

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I saw most of the 2nd half at Coburg. Really liked the look of Doulton.

Hope he gets an opportunity before the season is out... has size, pace and uses the pill nicely.
One of his problems is that he is a bit like Hind - runs so hard that disposal is a bit of a rerratic. Needed to steady before he kicked.

Had read somewhere that it was something Dingley had been working on and had improved a fair bit.

Will be surprised if he's named tonight but I'd expect he will get a run shortly.

Back