List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Thread

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Still lack a bit of top end talent though. If we play finals it doesn't look like we'd give it much of a shake. Probably our bests are Gresham, Billings, Ross, Marshall, Hanners and Hill. Not a super star amongst them yet, although 2016 Hanners was a star. We really need Hunter, King and Battle types to become stars to step up into a more dominant side.
Agree pretty much completely with all that, but you don't need to be terribly amazing to make the 8.

We won 9 games this year, with what was arguably the worst injury run of any team (Champion Data rated it the worst by games missed by best 22, as of about R20) and to the team we generally had on the park this year, we could potentially add Hill, Hannebery, Roberton, Jones, Geary, Ryder, Howard, King, Webster, Butler and Bytel (at the expense of just Bruce, Newnes and Acres from our general team this year, at this stage), so I wouldn't have thought that winning as few as 3 extra games would be out of the question.

Especially with 3 extra games on our home ground next season, and with another preseason into the likes of Gresham, Roma, Hunter, Battle and Coffield, who are the ones who we need to take us to that next level.

Last edited:

cooperg

All Australian
Oct 3, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
WRONG

Pretty sure you can’t just leave spots open. I am pretty sure that window and mid season is purely for injury replacement and can only use those selections if we place someone on injury list .. I’m
Probably wrong but I was pretty sure you had to fill your list by the deadline and those periods were open for injury replacement .

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I appreciate the constructive feedback here.

The club has been very public in saying that finals are the expectation now so I dont see any reason why we fans shouldn't be as demanding.

Yes, guys like Billings and Gresh and RoMa will continue to evolve their games but this isn't a squad of kids anymore. We are in a position to push for finals. We wont be pumping games into guys like Coff, Bytel, Byrnes and Paton if they aren't earning it.

Jun 4, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree pretty much completely with all that, but you don't need to be terribly amazing to make the 8.

We won 9 games this year, with what was arguably the worst injury run of any team (Champion Data rated it the worst by games missed by best 22, as of about R20) and to the team we generally had on the park this year, we could potentially add Hill, Hannebery, Roberton, Jones, Geary, Ryder, Howard, King, Webster, Butler and Bytel (at the expense of just Bruce, Newnes and Acres from our general team this year, at this stage), so I wouldn't have thought that winning as few as 3 extra games would be out of the question.

Especially with 3 extra games on our home ground next season, and with another preseason into the likes of Gresham, Roma, Hunter, Battle and Coffield, who are the ones who we need to take us to that next level.
holy moly can't lose if we field a 30 man squad!

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon we are 12 months off finals at least. King is going to have to be better than his brother at 17 goals for the year to really carry the forward line. Membrey had his worst year when bruce was missing and can't do it all. We will need mass improvement to step up and our fixture isn't as good as last year. I have us in the 9th to 15th zone still. A really big step up across the board and we could play finals but I don't think we'll do a Brisbane or Melbourne 2018.

So many list changes will make a pretty unsettled side as well.
Agreed , Miracles can happen but you dont expect them you pray for them! somewhere between 8 to 13 wins max IMO. more likey 9 to 11 wins.

Last edited:
I reckon we are 12 months off finals at least. King is going to have to be better than his brother at 17 goals for the year to really carry the forward line. Membrey had his worst year when bruce was missing and can't do it all. We will need mass improvement to step up and our fixture isn't as good as last year. I have us in the 9th to 15th zone still. A really big step up across the board and we could play finals but I don't think we'll do a Brisbane or Melbourne 2018.

I can't see us swapping a direct structure of Bruce and Membrey for King and Membrey and improving our goal scoring.
To me it will have to be :
King/Battle + Membrey + Effective Fwd Ruck ( Ryder or Marshall ) + More forward time for Billings and Gresham.

I'm really hoping that Jones and Clark ( and maybe later, Bytel ) can play an inside mid role so that Gresham gets free'd up for this.

Oct 19, 2012
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
From ESPN:
St Kilda
St Kilda selected arguably the bargain of the draft first up in Ryan Byrnes. Byrnes is one of the best ball winning midfielders in the draft and combines that with explosive pace, agility and a damaging kick. St Kilda's second selection was however a surprising one selecting Leo Connolly as a speedy outside midfielder. With Connolly winning a low percentage of 27% his ball in contested situations, Connolly looks more suitable for selection as a rookie. What was disappointing from St Kilda was that they did not match Richmond's bid on talented Next-Generation Academy key defender Bigoa Nyuon.
Grade: A

Oct 19, 2012
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's cool Knightmare at Byrnes inside his top 20...
18. Ryan Byrnes
Best position:
Inside midfield
Height, weight: 182cm, 84kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 20-50
Plays like: Jake Steven
October Rankings: 18
Rationale: On performance in the NAB League, Byrnes has been one of the most damaging midfielders by winning the ball and hurting the opposition with his acceleration and hurt-factor by foot.
Strengths: Wins first possession at stoppages, wins ground ball on the move, use of speed with ball in hand around stoppages, line-breaking pace, agility, evasion in traffic, impact per possession, hurt factor by foot, places kicks out in front of targets to lead onto, vision to find targets inside 50m
Weaknesses: Scoreboard impact, unclear versatility

Many more highlights available from State league competitions which are broadcast on FTA in their states than there is of u18 nab league football.
There’s 15 videos of Byrnes on the NAB league app with all but one being at least 8 minutes long. There’s plenty of footage available.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
I can't see us swapping a direct structure of Bruce and Membrey for King and Membrey and improving our goal scoring.
To me it will have to be :
King/Battle + Membrey + Effective Fwd Ruck ( Ryder or Marshall ) + More forward time for Billings and Gresham.

I'm really hoping that Jones and Clark ( and maybe later, Bytel ) can play an inside mid role so that Gresham gets free'd up for this.
I think the forgotten piece of that puzzle is Acres.

He effectively played that 3rd-tall marking target role in most of his games, yet kicked just 6 goals, from his 19 games.

So between the two of them, Bruce and Acres played 41 games- mostly forward- for 42 goals.

They, all-things-being-equal, presumably get replaced by King/Battle and Ryder/Marshall/Battle, and I don't think it's any great stretch to suggest that that group would likewise be able to contribute that couple of goals a game we got from Bruce and Goat. If not more.

Ryder for instance averaged almost a goal a game this year- despite still doing lots of rucking- which was much better than Blake's 0.3 goals per game.

(He also got 381 hitouts, from 17 games, compared to Bruce and Acres (our two main back-up rucking options) combined 42 hitouts, from 41 games! :oops:)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Membrey's underwhelming 2018 had little to do with no Bruce in the forward line and more to do with him playing through a knee injury and him forgetting how to kick for a good 6 week period.

Membrey's underwhelming 2018 had little to do with no Bruce in the forward line and more to do with him playing through a knee injury and him forgetting how to kick for a good 6 week period.

He kicked 34 in 98, 44 this year.
Those ten goals were a difference , but not a huge difference.
Bruce kicked 36 this year.
Ben King kicked 19.
Its been 5 years since Ryder kicked 20.

I was forever waiting for Acres to kill a game. Waiting waiting.
Brucey was ok when he felt
Like it. Ho hum
Newnes felt like he was filling a spot until someone else came along. Not at the level.
Richo was always gonna come good “next year “. Catholic priest.

I was forever waiting for Acres to kill a game. Waiting waiting.
Brucey was ok when he felt
Like it. Ho hum
Newnes felt like he was filling a spot until someone else came along. Not at the level.
Richo was always gonna come good “next year “. Catholic priest.
Bruce's work up and down the ground and making a contest to bring the ball to ground is very underrated

But also understand why the club moved him on

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben King kicked 19.
Ryder 15 goals from 17 games this year (alternating between the forward line and ruck) Acres 6 goals from 19 games, (playing mostly forward and some time in the midfield).

Cancels out a lot of the likely difference between the 36 goals we got from Bruce and whatever we're going to get from King/Battle.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ben King kicked 19.
Membrey is a good example of what kicking straight can do.
Despite missing some games in 2018, he had one more scoring shot than this year. But he just kicked much straighter in 2019.

If our smalls like Lonie (13.19), Kent (12.14), Sinclair (4.11) could fix their conversion rate to a decent standard of about 60-70%, then those goals can be replaced.

I think its the smaller things that will a make a difference next season.

Ryder 15 goals from 17 games this year (alternating between the forward line and ruck) Acres 6 goals from 19 games, (playing mostly forward and some time in the midfield).

Cancels out a lot of the likely difference between the 36 goals we got from Bruce and whatever we're going to get from King/Battle.

Port also have a pretty multi dimensional forward line. I think it was easier to get off the chain. He'll take the best tall defender at the Saints.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
suprising Lethers wasnt in the draft Room?, (he mite of been but footage i seen he wasnt)

He was there getting his creep on just out of screen shot

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Port also have a pretty multi dimensional forward line. I think it was easier to get off the chain. He'll take the best tall defender at the Saints.
If Paddy plays forward and takes the best tall defender that’s a massive win for us in my eyes.. Ryder’s main focus is simply providing a contest and bringing the ball to ground for our smalls.

If we somehow have the luxury of Winx or Skunk copping a 3rd KPD we will have quite a potent attack. I know Ratten rates Membrey as a marking target coming out of defence so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him up the ground more next season.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Might be right, but we didn’t kick nearly enough goals last year so we need to find a way to improve not stay the same.

Back