List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

There is something to say for whether we are permitted to draft him if he has essentially requested a trade 2 years in a row

I don't know the answer to that.. we'll have to see what happens.
Last year doesn’t count as he was a contracted player.
We also put a very nice offer in front of him late in the season. The club values him and it’s not like we’re being vindictive. I would’ve been livid if we accepted the deal Carlton offered.

Last year doesn’t count as he was a contracted player.
We also put a very nice offer in front of him late in the season. The club values him and it’s not like we’re being vindictive. I would’ve been livid if we accepted the deal Carlton offered.
Exactly
As a Club we can't say
"Thanks Jack.Best wishes!Bon Voyage!have a nice life.We'll just carry on and don't you worry a jot about the fact we got nothing for you.We'll be fine"

That would literally be the darkest time line.

Don't re-draft a player who wants out.
Awful list management.

Don’t reject a fair offer under the assumption that because they’re out of contract they’ll waltz to you in the draft. Martin will be weighing his options. Staying at the Suns is now an option. Hope whoever the Blues take at 9 is a grade above whoever they would’ve taken at 15. Martin is all class.

Don’t reject a fair offer under the assumption that because they’re out of contract they’ll waltz to you in the draft. Martin will be weighing his options. Staying at the Suns is now an option. Hope whoever the Blues take at 9 is a grade above whoever they would’ve taken at 15. Martin is all class.
I've watched him play every match and I can assure you he us not all class.
Shows flashes of brilliance but he needs a rocket. You do see these types turn it around. Maybe this is the catylist for him to say Carlton doesn't value me.. I've got to put my head down and be the best player I can be for the team that has as stuck by me.
But I wouldn't count on it.

We're trying to win games of footy not a popularity contest
If he doesn't want to sign a contract he'll know he can be redrafted by us on a much worse contract
He is then a restricted free agent next year which brings compo into play if he still wants to leave at the end of next year
If he comes back to us via either method and then we can get some compensation - best case scenario.
Will it be ticked off by the league essentially redrafting someone against their will?

If he comes back to us via either method and then we can get some compensation - best case scenario.
Will it be ticked off by the league essentially redrafting someone against their will?

The other option is we delist him and allow Carlton to pick him up that way as we can still swap picks just not players. This is far from over

What a bizarre statement
There is no free "will" once someone elects to nominate for the draft
I am not aware players get a choice of who drafts them- or maybe the AFL will insert a special Jack Martin clause?
If he doesn't want to sign a sweet contract he knows the deal- we will redraft you
It's a tough business
Of course he then has the choice of "retiring" which would mean we lose a draft pick and a player
And he loses $5-600,000 dollars of income
It's Jack's choice to leave, it's not our job to give him away for nothing
Can you can come up with a scenario that involves decent compensation for one of the most skilled players in the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How sucked in? We will get him in the PSD for nothing now.
That's weird, last I checked we had a pick before you? Last I checked we said we would redraft him?

Enjoy Papley at lea... Oh wait.

Enjoy... Pittonet? Wait, what's a Pittonet?

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

He can re-sign for 1 year and he can be a free agent next year and go wherever he wants and we can get some FA compo.
If we can convince Jack to re-sign for one year, does he become a restricted free agent? If he does then it's probably worth trying to make it happen knowing we have the security of a compensation pick coming back our way this time next year should he choose to leave.
Wouldn't be surprised if offered Jack 1 year to see him through till free agency and then he will be motivated to play well to put himself on the radar of some top quality clubs.

Whether he takes that or not is another question.

This would appear to be the best outcome for both Martin and the Suns

Promise him that if he signs for another year and plays ti his best ability then if he again selects to leave to which ever club then the Suns wont stand in his way and he can leave as a FA to which ever team he decides to go to and will probably get more money as no picks would be requred.

Would be time for the Suns to get around him and show love

This would appear to be the best outcome for both Martin and the Suns

Promise him that if he signs for another year and plays ti his best ability then if he again selects to leave to which ever club then the Suns wont stand in his way and he can leave as a FA to which ever team he decides to go to and will probably get more money as no picks would be requred.

Would be time for the Suns to get around him and show love
I'm happy to get around him and have him play for another year with the Suns. He's a pro athlete.

He's gonna be a hell of a NEAFL player too if he decides to not train hard enough to be best 22. Doesn't phase me either way.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

The AFL and the AFLPA will never let the Suns redraft Jack Martin in the PSD. he will get to Carlton.
So you are saying they will change the rules of the draft for Carlton? I find that unlikely but I love your optimism.

They only change the draft for us.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Very interesting on trade radio just now

Carlton offered future 2nd and future 3rd - we said no.

We wanted 9 and a future second for Martin and 15.. hmm not so straight forward.

Cameron said they put forward quite a number of pick slides - ie 9 to us, and us giving Carlton back other picks which weren't accepted.

You were never getting pick 9, nor a future first for Martin. I mentioned that here weeks ago. No way was SOS ever going to pay a first round pick for an OOC player. That said, I kind of like that the Suns weren't bending over in this trade period like previous years.

The AFL and the AFLPA will never let the Suns redraft Jack Martin in the PSD. he will get to Carlton.
Oh,okay
So now players can choose where to go if they elect to enter the draft
That kind of makes the draft not a draft
I really think the lack of critical thinking is a genetic thing with Carlton supporters after today-all that inbreeding
Probably too many viewings of The Castle because they all seem to think it's about The Vibe

You were never getting pick 9, nor a future first for Martin. I mentioned that here weeks ago. No way was SOS ever going to pay a first round pick for an OOC player. That said, I kind of like that the Suns weren't bending over in this trade period like previous years.

Let you are claiming that you guys will get Martin now for nothing in the PSD? Question were you dropped on your head as a child? Your argument has holes throughout

Well it's up to Jack
He can run around in the NEAFL on minimum contract next year and go to trade again or sit out or take a nice 3 year deal from us and start playing some footy again like we know he can

He gets to nominate his price in the PSD. What you're suggesting isn't how it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back