List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to be realistic looking at the options for us. We aren't bringing in a Gaff level type player. We need these players now to become more competitive, then the Gaff types may come.

The Greenwoods and Ellis' of the world are the best we can hope for at the moment.

Hope that Ainsworth, Fiorini etc also take the next step.

I just can't shake what I saw of Ellis at the Gabba last week. But as TSG said, let's worry about how he plays in finals once we GET to finals. :p

Journos are always rounding up with their salaries anyway. I would be surprised if it's as much as being reported. Even if so hopefully some 'ambassador' money that was reserved for Burgoyne is going there.

If we are spending $600 plus on Ellis we have honestly lost the plot.
You spend that sort of money on top end players not average players.
Please do not compare to Hill or Gaff --they are stars.
Don't waste money just for the sake of it.
Our record recruiting players from other clubs is simply woeful. Witts is an exception.

Top end players simply won’t come to us while we aren’t winning games. No matter how much we offer. They will prefer to take less cash at a stronger club.

We reportedly have the best offer on the table for a B-grader like Greenwood and his preference is still to stay at the Crows if they can up their offer.

We unfortunately are the last resort club at the moment. If no one else will pony up the cash or contract length they are chasing, they might entertain us.

We can’t continue next season with our current list and just hope the kids will stick around for the next few years while we continue to get smashed every week. We have no option but to overpay players to join the club in hope they will improve our list. We have to keep trying things to break this cycle we are in.

Hopefully this years AFL assistance package will also help speed up the process?

If we are spending $600 plus on Ellis we have honestly lost the plot.
You spend that sort of money on top end players not average players.
Please do not compare to Hill or Gaff --they are stars.
Don't waste money just for the sake of it.
Our record recruiting players from other clubs is simply woeful. Witts is an exception.
600,000 is not that much these days. When you are paying for a free agent you have to pay up to get them out of their club. On one hand we want to attract players but on the other we don't want to waste money. We have to try things. There won't be many premiership players wanting to come.

$600k for a free agent is not alot in this climate , The top end players like Gaff are being offered $1mil-$1.2 mil (kelly,Gaff,Coniglio,Dusty,Shiel)
The 600k -$750k range get you players like Ellis , Polec , Martin etc

But when considering value for money based upon their age and body of work so far in their career's being 24-27

Ellis v Polec ....... Ellis beats Polec in just about every stat in the comparison Polec $750k x 5 years and cost a 1st round pick down grade to a 3rd

Ellis v Martin ......Ellis beats Martin in all the stats but they are different types but used in similar roles at times Martin $700kx5 years and prob 1st round pick

Ellis v Salem ........ I used Salem as an example as he is probably the most like for like player i can think of and both players are 1st round selection
If Salem was to ask for a trade to GC today and the trade was to get done it would probably be around Pick #15-#20 and Salem would demand $700k

But this comparison is the one that would probably be the best comparison for you guys
Ellis v Weller ....... Weller cost GC #2 and im thinking closer to the $850k-$900k range a year

$600k for a free agent is not alot in this climate , The top end players like Gaff are being offered $1mil-$1.2 mil (kelly,Gaff,Coniglio,Dusty,Shiel)

But when considering value for money based upon their age and body of work so far in their career's being 24-27

Ellis v Polec ....... Ellis beats Polec in just about every stat in the comparison Polec $750k x 5 years and cost a 1st round pick down grade to a 3rd

Ellis v Martin ......Ellis beats Martin in all the stats but they are different types but used in similar roles at times Martin $700kx5 years and prob 1st round pick

Ellis v Salem ........ I used Salem as an example as he is probably the most like for like player i can think of and both players are 1st round selection
If Salem was to ask for a trade to GC today and the trade was to get done it would probably be around Pick #15-#20 and Salem would demand $700k

But this comparison is the one that would probably be the best comparison for you guys
Ellis v Weller ....... Weller cost GC #2 and im thinking closer to the $850k-$900k range a year

I think Weller deal is front load, also he is still young if he perform well and want to go to another club he got resell value this does not include Ballard who is part of the deal too, the reason I don't mind Ellis is because GCS don't need to negotiate draft pick,, as much I want a top 10 for Martin I am happy if GCS talent recruiters able to spot a Saad or Tim Kelly in state league if it happen to be second Rd, third Rd pick.

Last edited:
So do GCS have unlimited access for NT Thunder Players playing in NEAFL not on GCS list.

You can't compare individual stats unless you weight them by team performance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I woudn't hold your breath
The Suns average 50 disposals less per game on average than other teams
Start with that
50 possessions a game is just 2 touches per player but thats expected which where the suns are at the moment

Ellis has always been able to accumulate possessions even when Richmond were crap

2016 we finished 13th and Ellis averaged 24 touches a game at 75% De

50 possessions a game is just 2 touches per player but thats expected which where the suns are at the moment

Ellis has always been able to accumulate possessions even when Richmond were crap

2016 we finished 13th and Ellis averaged 24 touches a game at 75% De
Check out what Pearce Hanley and Nick Malcescki were doing a couple of seasons before they joined us
AA type seasons
I'll go on record and say we already have the better Ellis at half the price and without the 5 year contract

Check out what Pearce Hanley and Nick Malcescki were doing a couple of seasons before they joined us
AA type seasons
I'll go on record and say we already have the better Ellis at half the price and without the 5 year contract
Mate im not arguing with you on that and if you read back a few pages you will see i already posted i dont believe he is a good fit for the Suns but its your list management that think he is suitable and want to pay him $600k for 5 years - Lets see if they are correct or if i am a good judge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back