List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

This highlights package! I don't wanna get carried away guys, but we could have someone as good as Mackenzie Willis, of not better!
Holy s**t I need to lie down now.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

What do you make of Gore not being drafted ?
There was only 65 picks (lowest of all time) so a much bigger rookie draft and suns have three rookie spots so I am sure he will go somewhere. Mitch O’Neill missed out who last year was an underage all Australian

Please excuse the incursion, but I am excited for you guys.

With Rowel and Anderson being recruited you guys had already won the draft. Getting Flanders put an exclamation point on it. But when you got Sharp ... damn!! He could be anything. I would have been happy if the Hawks took him at pick 13. Giving up pick 11 in next years draft would have been, for me, a laughably easy decision.

The AFL handed you guys a golden ticket and you did not waste it on blueberry chewing gum, you won the whole chocolate factory.

This group of recruits, combined with the talent already on your list, means the Suns have most talented list of youngsters in the league.

Stewart Dew’s 3 minutes in the 2008 grand final will probably be his best footy memory. But I am guessing that this draft will have him feeling immensely pleased with what his future will bring and possibly a memory to top 2008.

Exciting times are ahead for the GCS

I am happy to be criticised, I don’t pretend I am perfect and am as wrong as often as I am right but I don’t see many other clubs constantly giving up overs like we do. 11 for 27, 2 for Weller, Martin for zip, Harley given away for some magic beans

Lions 23 to 22 (throwing away a future 2nd?) and Blues 22 & 27 into 20 I think it was.... both those trades are very one sided.

Lions 23 to 22 (throwing away a future 2nd?) and Blues 22 & 27 into 20 I think it was.... both those trades are very one sided.
Both club get those pick from generous GCS. Lion 23 from Gold Coast last year and Blues 22 from Gold Coast. Not wrong to move up, the next job is keep those players. Getting players you want is one thing retain them is another.

I am OK with trading out pick 11 next year for a player the club rates this year, especially knowing that pick 11 could move back 3-5 slots after bids.
I am OK with bundling up 17 and 22 to go get Flanders.

If you rate a player you have seen play a lot (and Flanders has played a lot this year, and Sharp has played in the big junior games for 2 years now), go get them.
Pay the lowest price you can, but get the player you rate.

Otherwise, what is the point or doing your own research?
Would be cheaper and easier to just put all the phantom drafts together and go from that.

I don't see these types of trades as one-sided. The club would have done a lot, a lot, a lot of research on who they want/need and who might be available at where they are picking and what it might cost to move picks around.

Strongly suspect that the list does need a power player like Flanders, and it surely needs more players with the speed+endurance+long kicking combo that Sharp has (just don't ask him to win his own footy or tackle).

Also strongly suspect we offered that future pick 11 to all the clubs using picks 22-26 and they turned us down. So those clubs all wanted the player over a future pick.

Just re-watched that. I was very conflicted on that day at the game. lol They had a good first quarter, but couldn't keep up for the 2nd, which probably where it changed. There was some good signs, even that late in the season.
Jen you have been such a wonderful addition to our board!You have a way of making things sound so much better than they actually are!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm repeating myself but here goes:
We now have what I hope will be a good supply of mids, wingers and forwards of all types and sizes - maybe toss in B Crouch next year BUT we are taking a major Hallelujah moment with defence. I'm confident we can start of with what looks like a strong backline - Hanley / Collins / Ellis and Harbrow / Thompson / Ballard but if we get hit hard and early with injury, there's not much in true defensive experience to call on. Hombsch and then we start using young kids again to plug holes - Powell, Lukosius etc. I can't see anyone we've drafted that can come in and hold a position down back. Maybe Day will be the pinch hitter moving up and back as required. Would have liked to see at least one strong defender selected - maybe it'll be in the last draft before the season starts.
Great effort in selecting what should be the core of the attacking side of things and let's hope Collins establishes himself as a rock at CHB with Rory locking down some of the dangerous Franklin types. Roll on 2020. P.S. Good luck in selecting the starting 22 - will be a few disappointed players I think.

We now have what I hope will be a good supply of mids, wingers and forwards of all types and sizes - maybe toss in B Crouch next year BUT we are taking a major Hallelujah moment with defence. I'm confident we can start of with what looks like a strong backline - Hanley / Collins / Ellis and Harbrow / Thompson / Ballard but if we get hit hard and early with injury, there's not much in true defensive experience to call on. Hombsch and then we start using young kids again to plug holes - Powell, Lukosius etc. I can't see anyone we've drafted that can come in and hold a position down back. Maybe Day will be the pinch hitter moving up and back as required. Would have liked to see at least one strong defender selected - maybe it'll be in the last draft before the season starts.
Great effort in selecting what should be the core of the attacking side of things and let's hope Collins establishes himself as a rock at CHB with Rory locking down some of the dangerous Franklin types. Roll on 2020. P.S. Good luck in selecting the starting 22 - will be a few disappointed players I think.

I guess you pick your poison as the midfield sucked last year and had to be addressed first. If you are not using a top 30 pick on a defender you can't expect them to be able to make a difference to our current back line. I think you did a good job at identifying the options. It is thin but manageable.

Mitch O'Neill not drafted wowee!

Undersized but classy and we should be looking at him in the rookie draft

Has Ben King got a brother who might want to play down back for us?

Gee Carlton fans are so ******* salty. I don’t know where their arrogance comes from, they have been bottom feeders for close to 20 years

What are they salty about?? They are certain to get Martin now.
They have got their way.

They just look like dicks though because they behaved without honour in their dealings.

Agree with this.

But glass half full, we had a rather defensive game plan that stood up well this year until our midfield became overpowered and tired/injured and the floodgates opened.

With our midfield now stacked with talent and depth, we should start winning more of the ball in the middle and hopefully hold onto it with more skilled players coming in.
That should slow down the ease and regularity of the ball entering defensive 50 and slow the counterattacks that kill us.
Between Ballard and Collins we have 2 great intercept players. We just have to give them the chance to fly and not let teams pick out players inside 50 at will

Agree with this.

But glass half full, we had a rather defensive game plan that stood up well this year until our midfield became overpowered and tired/injured and the floodgates opened.

With our midfield now stacked with talent and depth, we should start winning more of the ball in the middle and hopefully hold onto it with more skilled players coming in.
That should slow down the ease and regularity of the ball entering defensive 50 and slow the counterattacks that kill us.
Between Ballard and Collins we have 2 great intercept players. We just have to give them the chance to fly and not let teams pick out players inside 50 at will
Ballard may just be the hidden gem! He could be our Sicily if we can reduce the panic attacks coming in all match from upfield and give him and Collins time to fly - as you say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back