List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

First time post. Just need to vent after hearing those wombats. They are against the Suns priority pick due to miss management. Wonder if they shared that view when the Bombers get handed 1st pick in the draft when their poor players were sat out for a season during the drug scandal. Typical Vic media. But we all know the completion needs a strong Essedon. (Not my view).
Absolutely with you on that. What an alarmist, negative load of rubbish. Sounds like the sooks when we first came in. “They’ve been given too much, all the best players blah blah blah!!”. Brayshaw, no conflicting interests there lol. Happy to take a great young player in Tarryn Thomas from Tasmania as part of their academy (what has Tassie got to do with NM?). Reward for being poorly run, inept? Evidence please. Bet none of them have set foot in the club. The priority pick is meant as an equalisation measure. How is moving one place back in the draft going to damage every other club when the draft is meant to be extremely even after the first two players? We are in our position due to a poor initial setup and some bad management and luck in the early years. Without some continued assistance to move out of the bottom rungs we’re likely to continue to lose players to raids from other clubs. There’s a suggestion, instead of a priority pick, how about all the other clubs agree to stop stealing our best players for awhile? Fulcrum me, so sick of this spew. A priority pick isn’t the sole answer, we need additional equalisation measures as an expansion club in a non-AFL state, otherwise this cycle will likely continue. These ********s already doubt we can “not ruin” these young kids (name some we have ruined please?), so obviously we’re going to need more than a PP to get this inept, poorly managed club to work. I mean NM, the epitomy of success. They’ve won premierships and had some of the greatest players of all time but still struggle to find a home and be a relevant club. These w***ers really don’t get it within their the safety of their Victorian castle do they? The only way the Suns are going to succeed on the coast / in Queensland in general, is to have a sustained period of success. That means winning games. That means help until we get to that point. Then they can cut back on the assistance as they did with the Lions, Swans, Giants, Melbourne etc. before us.

is this the same peanut that said we may as well close our doors and send the players to Tasmania. God damn pencil neck!
Yes the same pencil neck. Do you actually think AFL going to move GCS to Tasmania. Why you so St***. Are you the same pencil neck that said change coach? Portman go back and support you Melbourne demon.

Last edited:
We have zero depth
That's why Heron gets a game
We need a PP to start developing depth
We're competitive enough with a full list but a few injuries and we fall right off a cliff
I agree with you, but I don't think AFL give priority pick 1. Maybe after top 10 pick. Nutting and Heron type need to go. A lot of former GWS and Sydney academy are playing for Canberra and Sydney university who are better skill than them and would love to get opportunities on AFL rookie list.

I agree with you, but I don't think AFL give priority pick 1. Maybe after top 10 pick. Nutting and Heron type need to go. A lot of former GWS and Sydney academy are playing for Canberra and Sydney university who are better skill than them and would love to get opportunities on AFL rookie list.

We have not used our rookie spots efficiently and just recycle crappy players... we have had some gold on picking up rookies Holman, McPherson Saad to name a few... Love the academy but Nutting and Heron need to be dumped to NEAFL on a permanent basis

We have not used our rookie spots efficiently and just recycle crappy players... we have had some gold on picking up rookies Holman, McPherson Saad to name a few... Love the academy but Nutting and Heron need to be dumped to NEAFL on a permanent basis
Should not be on AFL list at all, waste of list sport. Not all rookie list going to be McPherson, Saad, Holman. but keeping Nutting and shoenfield on the list going to denied the chance to pick somebody like them.

Should not be on AFL list at all, waste of list sport. Not all rookie list going to be McPherson, Saad, Holman. but keeping Nutting and shoenfield on the list going to denied the chance to pick somebody like them.

I agree Schoenfeld, Nutting, Young are all goodbye in my opinion. Then clear the rookie list with the exception of Dawson and Scheer

There will always be some hit and miss with late picks and rookie spots. We got some right and we got a lot wrong, which is the same for most clubs.

The bigger crime was not getting enough $ from the AFL (or mismanaging our cap) and not using all our list spots every year. Rocket complained a couple of times iirc. That was madness and was part of the problem with depth.

I think the northern clubs also have to use the rookie list a bit differently. We all get promising young players from the academy so a lot of rookie spots go to 18 year olds who are not good enough to get drafted. A lot more hit and miss there than a 22 year mature player from the state leagues.

But we also should support the academy for long term purposes. If it is 50/50 we are taking the local kid every time. If we are choosing between taking a flyer on Heron or adding mature depth with Gibbons, we are probably taking the flyer on Heron. And part of that flyer is showing the 16 and 17 year olds still in the academy that there is a pathway if you are good enough. And maybe one of them turns into a best 22 player in a finals quality team (fingers crossed).

For the PP you can't appeal to the AFL in terms of having vision and providing equalisation measures to allow for more 'fairness' in the competition.

The AFL executive and commission have one main focus and that is bringing in as much cash as possible for the clubs. The decision makers from the AFL are remunerated based on how much cash they bring in. The major source of that revenue is TV rights. As a result you are then able to understand their base motivation and know how you need to proposition our case/proposal for greater equalisation measures for the Suns - that being making the Sun's competitive quicker puts more dollars into the competition from TV rights.

Given that Foxtel has to show nearly all our games they are actually the stakeholder that the Suns need to appeal to as they are the puppet masters that control the AFL.

Given that the TV rights are up in 2022 they only have 12 months to show Foxtel that they have a competition where all 18 teams are competitive and worth watching for a legitimate contest week in week out.

For the PP you can't appeal to the AFL in terms of having vision and providing equalisation measures to allow for more 'fairness' in the competition.

The AFL executive and commission have one main focus and that is bringing in as much cash as possible for the clubs. The decision makers from the AFL are remunerated based on how much cash they bring in. The major source of that revenue is TV rights. As a result you are then able to understand their base motivation and know how you need to proposition our case/proposal for greater equalisation measures for the Suns - that being making the Sun's competitive quicker puts more dollars into the competition from TV rights.

Given that Foxtel has to show nearly all our games they are actually the stakeholder that the Suns need to appeal to as they are the puppet masters that control the AFL.

Given that the TV rights are up in 2022 they only have 12 months to show Foxtel that they have a competition where all 18 teams are competitive and worth watching for a legitimate contest week in week out.
Spot on. Having to deal with CEO and COOs, it’s $$$ that they understand. If we can put forward the case as the $$$ benefit, you immediately have their attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Martin is considered a stronger chance to stay at the club than he was at the beginning of this season, but he remains undecided.”

If he still remains undecided how can he be considered a stronger chance to stay at the SUNS as compared to the start of the season? Wow these AFL journos are clutching at straws.

“Martin is considered a stronger chance to stay at the club than he was at the beginning of this season, but he remains undecided.”

If he still remains undecided how can he be considered a stronger chance to stay at the SUNS as compared to the start of the season? Wow these AFL journos are clutching at straws.
Poor wording but I assume he is now geniunly undecided as opposed to leaning heavily towards leaving most of the year.

Maybe the deals have dried up from other clubs as they get around to.watching his games this year.
They're probably asking themselves what does he actually do, what's his position- and that's down to us for sure
He's never had the opportunity to grow into a position, always being used as an emergency plug for leaks

They're probably asking themselves what does he actually do, what's his position- and that's down to us for sure
He's never had the opportunity to grow into a position, always being used as an emergency plug for leaks
Maybe is GCS way to make him stayed. Lynch and May hardly great last year based on form. I just can't see lower end first round get you a decent player from other club that want to come. Getting another kids at that range don't help either.

If Martin stays it's because he has tested the market and found that his value isn't as high as he thought it was. He's just shipping off to wherever will pay him the most. Meaning if he stays we are probably offering him more than most. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Will see what happens with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back