List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he has to nominate his salary for the entire deal.

My understanding is that he may need to nominate the first 2 years salary and then presumably he gives the Blues the cheap sweetheart deal for years 3-5 that he doesn't have to give us.

I believe he has to give his exact terms and he’s done that.

Its a fun thought, but I don't think it will happen. I think in the end, they'll respect his right to be somewhere else, and just move on.
At the end of the day, you don't want players who don't want to be at your club.
Yeah, that would be the general consensus but I'm not sure The Suns have the luxury of just allowing talent to walk
The Club has been fairly vocal about every decision improving the list
If we had bags of A graders lining up to play for us and knocking them back might be different
Airy fairy motherhood statements like "Team over money " worked in 1970 not 2020

Jack Martin will be paid about $2 million over the first two years of his massively front-loaded five-year deal as a result of a deal struck between Martin and the exiting Gold Coast player's preferred destination club, Carlton.

Martin's terms – nominated in a bid to assure him of safe passage to Carlton in the pre-season draft – guarantee him more than a $1 million next year, and then close to that amount in year two of a five-year deal that pays him an aggregate of about $3.1 million, with incentives that could stretch that to about $3.5 million if he performs well.

Jack Martin will be paid about $2 million over the first two years of his massively front-loaded five-year deal as a result of a deal struck between Martin and the exiting Gold Coast player's preferred destination club, Carlton.

Martin's terms – nominated in a bid to assure him of safe passage to Carlton in the pre-season draft – guarantee him more than a $1 million next year, and then close to that amount in year two of a five-year deal that pays him an aggregate of about $3.1 million, with incentives that could stretch that to about $3.5 million if he performs well.
Jesus Christ talk about over payed

I believe he has to give his exact terms and he’s done that.

For a limited period. He can promise extensions beyond those terms after the draft to bring down his average salary of he has prearranges with the Blues

I'm not a salary cap expert but I just can't see that being possible. The contracts are signed and recorded with the league, I don't reckon U can alter their arrangement depending on your cap situation every year.

I'm not a salary cap expert but I just can't see that being possible. The contracts are signed and recorded with the league, I don't reckon U can alter their arrangement depending on your cap situation every year.

I beg to differ. There have been plenty of stories in the past where a club up against the salary cap were able to get existing players to take pay cuts to bring in another player and restructure their contracts.

Richmond players done it for Lynch.

I beg to differ. There have been plenty of stories in the past where a club up against the salary cap were able to get existing players to take pay cuts to bring in another player and restructure their contracts.
Fair enough, I reckon the AFL is a fuc*'n mess with all these weird rules.

The exact rules are : for a RFA or a player taken in the PSD who has nominated his terms, the contract is lodged with the AFL and cannot be altered in money, years or any other way. This is to stop a player putting in terms that only one club can match and once getting to that club signing new terms that other clubs could have matched. So if Carlton draft him they must pay him and include in their TPP the exact amounts stipulated across the five years.

So these are the only two types of player contracts that are set in stone.

Other players not recruited as RFA or PSD with terms, can and often do move their $ around to other years to assist their club in meeting the TPP.

So if you recruit Martin in the PSD (please do it just for the melts!) you are bound to pay him the exact amounts in the contract each year unless you trade him out.

The exact rules are : for a RFA or a player taken in the PSD who has nominated his terms, the contract is lodged with the AFL and cannot be altered in money, years or any other way. This is to stop a player putting in terms that only one club can match and once getting to that club signing new terms that other clubs could have matched. So if Carlton draft him they must pay him and include in their TPP the exact amounts stipulated across the five years.

So these are the only two types of player contracts that are set in stone.

Other players not recruited as RFA or PSD with terms, can and often do move their $ around to other years to assist their club in meeting the TPP.

So if you recruit Martin in the PSD (please do it just for the melts!) you are bound to pay him the exact amounts in the contract each year unless you trade him out.

Yes, but what is to stop a player nominating terms for 2 years on big money and then soon after adding additional years at a much reduced rate?

So basically the reason for picking up Martin again is Free Agency. Martin gets picked as a million dollar player , stays on the list for a year. He then leaves as a free agent and the Suns get band one (first round compensation) as he is the highest paid player. Brilliant but ???
I don’t think he’d be a free agent at the end of 2020, because he’d have a contract. Therefore our options would be to trade him or keep him. Not free agent compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless its actually said from someone that knows, salaries are very hard to know the full amount given they aren't public.

agree. And Caroline Wilson didnt
So he’s going to get a million in year one and then after that he’s much cheaper as it’s front ended.
Well we aren’t going to add anymore players for 2020 other than drafted rookies and kids so if we have the money we get him and pay him.

Then either of two things happens
A-he plays well and is rejuvenated and we have him on the cheap for the remaining 4 years
B-he’s still a pain and we trade him and get something for him at the end of this year rather than the current situation which is zero.

I’m in for re-drafting him.

I Tend to disagree. If I’m another player negotiating a contract and know that Martin got 5 years deal and a mil yr 1 & 2 and didn’t even want to be there.... I’d be pissed particularly if the contract offered to me felt like unders.

His attitude around the club potentially drags down others too.

If you let martin go you can front load the likes of witts and swallow in 2020, obviously also making extending guys easier in the next year or 2 ( young list salary squeeze on its way as they mature)

in my view in this situation with uncontracted players some sort of mediation /arbitration situation should happen, as

2 million over 2 years to ensure he gets to Carlton

Yet offered future 2nd and 3rd Rd picks.

Has surely got to be draft tampering

2 million over 2 years to ensure he gets to Carlton

Yet offered future 2nd and 3rd Rd picks.

Has surely got to be draft tampering
Spot on Ben.
Jacob Weltering (pick 1) also shows potential but hasn't delivered anything yet. Would Carlton accept 2nd round & 3rd round in a compromised draft??

Fair enough, I reckon the AFL is a fuc*'n mess with all these weird rules.

I heard Mackenzie Willis has submitted a highlights tape playing against the Broadbeach u16 team and it looks spectacular.

Look for him to be a smokey in the rookie draft 😎

Not for SOS it’s not lol. If he doesn’t salvage Martin from the trade / draft period, it’s game over for him.
I think SOS is out of there regardless which is a shame. He has done such a great job consolidating Carlton as a bottom 4 club by picking up endless GWS rejects.

It’s 5 atm without Holman , they haven’t even announced Martins departure

That’s telling.

I’ve been saying this in the general Martin thread but I don’t think you guys are bluffing this time on re-drafting him. From a player retention perspective you simply have to stop the blood flow and put your flag in the ground. Keeping Martin is as much about retaining Lukosius, Anderson, Rankine, Rowell and so on into the future.

Once the decision is made on PSD day you will publicly throw your arms around Martin and he’ll just have to get on with the job of being a professional footballer on the Gold Coast. We’re seeing a shift in policy from your club, with AFL backing. The softly, softly approach hasn’t worked. “Stick fat or you’ll be walked into the minefield of the draft” is the new dictum.

Good on you I say. A much harder line was required to ward off raiding clubs.

I'm not sure The Suns have the luxury of just allowing talent to walk.

Absolutely you do not. You’ve been down that road and look where it’s gotten you. On life support.

Player retention at all costs now for the Suns. That means re-drafting Martin and sending a message to all of your players, their managers and raiding interstate clubs.

A few noses are going to be put out of joint but it’ll be worth it for the new tone being set for your club.

You won’t survive into the future if you fail to take a hard line now.

Last edited:
Absolutely you do not. You’ve been down that road and look where it’s gotten you.

Player retention at all costs now for the Suns. That means re-drafting Martin and sending a message to all of your players, their managers and raiding interstate clubs.

A few noses are going to be put out if joint but it’ll be worth it for the new tone being set for your club.

You won’t survive into the future if you fail to take a hard line now.

Bet you wouldn't be having this strong/passionate stance if Martin had agreed to join Melbourne, instead of him bluntly telling The Dees to go forth and multiply (IE refusing to meet with any Dees official)

I am as much a supporter of Gold Coast being a successful, strong club going forwards as anyone here (I was a big advocate for them to get their pre first 1 round PP and happy for their rescue package) and I can live with them taking Martin in the PSD, that is their right to do so, but as I say, I highly doubt you would be championing this cause for GC if Martin agreed to play for Melbourne.

Can not possibly take Martin in the PSD, on again, off again relationships end in tears.. We were gifted draft picks, academy zones, we have been given Noah Anderson, Rosas, picks 15, 20 and 11 next year on a silver platter, the only reason we were in a position to knock back carlton's offer is because we were gifted so many concessions by the afl so that Carlton's offer wasn't of value to us. It is time to cut ties loose. We made our point, move on.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can not possibly take Martin in the PSD, on again, off again relationships end in tears.. We were gifted draft picks, academy zones, we have been given Noah Anderson, Rosas, picks 15, 20 and 11 next year on a silver platter, the only reason we were in a position to knock back carlton's offer is because we were gifted so many concessions by the afl so that Carlton's offer wasn't of value to us. It is time to cut ties loose. We made our point, move on.

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you let Martin walk for nothing you have made no point at all. You will merely be repeating past behaviours.

Martin goes. Lukosius will follow. And so on.

Most long term relationships go through rocky periods. Chucking in the towel every time the going gets tough will end you up alone, down and eventually out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back