List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Why, when they're being outperformed by players who have been on AFL lists previously? Bolton, Schloithe, Grigg, Partington and Colquhoun all carving up the WAFL and SANFL, all of whom have been passed over once at AFL level. Same for Sam Collins last year. Personally I would have signed Grigg last year and would definitely kick the tyres on Partington this year.
I've said it before but we should have drafted Pickett in the mid draft....and I agree Grigg should have been offered decent money to come. Bolton and Schloithe should also have been targeted. We will get nowhere continually topping up with kids who leave after 2-3 years of 'education'. We do need at least two experienced guys in and around the ball or down back - as well as a combination of youth (high draft picks), SANFL/WAFL/VFL players and some old AFL guys with grunt. I've also said we should throw the book at Hodge who seems to like Queensland to come on board as 'coach' with Leigh Matthews as Mentor. I know they are both at Brisbane but worth discussion in 2020 while Dew completes his term. Unless we find some really decent players this draft (Greenwood, Higgins, Betts, Ellis-Yoelman, Gibbs etc) 2020 will be a mirror image of this year and it should be bye bye Stewie. Frustrating as Hell but in hindsight Burgoyne may not have been the magic elixir we need. Be interesting to see if he plays every game next year, including finals to reach the 400 he desperately seeks.

We have very little in real experience recruiting wise OR they are not good at negotiating etc. When one didn't play and was only a stats guy for many years, it doesn't surprise me.
Just think we’ll always be recruiting with one arm tied - we’re bottom of the ladder, go no fans and have no salary cap space to offer big money..... who would want to come up here?

Brisbane managed to do it with the help of the media talking up how much they had improved, and were on the way up... we’re a dumpster fire.

Not trying to be negative but unless some of our young blokes become superstars next year, we’re not going anywhere but down.

Which I find so odd as Paul Roos constantly states if he was playing again he could not get up here quick enough.
I know as soon as l found out l could transfer with work fire was coming off the bottom of my feet heading North.
Everyone who comes up to visit our Family from down South is blown away by the place.
It’s big fish small pond syndrome.
Hobbits generally don’t venture out to see the world and those that do become different people. It’s just an upbringing thing, a lot of country Victorians never leave their towns.
It blows my mind...

Which I find so odd as Paul Roos constantly states if he was playing again he could not get up here quick enough.
I know as soon as l found out l could transfer with work fire was coming off the bottom of my feet heading North.
Everyone who comes up to visit our Family from down South is blown away by the place.
The players that aren’t at the club can only form an opinion from media reports and past players. As the media belt us at every opportunity and past players played in tin sheds it’s understandable. The only way it changes is winning and the AFL need to ensure it happens.

Start winning in NEAFL and then AFL. academy players are good experience for them but I rather they get a few GHS through Rookie list (Spp, mid season draft) and win rather than on senior list with long term contract. There are plenty GHS type in state league that don't mind on rookie list. Even Saad stayed for two years.

Last edited:
I agree.

With the bloke about Cotchin.

Only way to break the cycle is to offer someone like Cotchin or Joel Selwood max deals.

Cotchin is 30 early next year offer him 5 years

Selwood will be 32 early next year offer him 4 years.
He can play half back like a Luke hodge.

Once u have the king/leader in place.

All the jesters and jokers will follow suit

Need that one player piece to get players to stop and go wow.
He made a decision to go there.
If it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for me.

Surely there’s some AFL captains out there that want to see us thrive

I agree.

Only way to break the cycle is to offer someone like Cotchin or Joel Selwood max deals.

If they don't Come, the damage could be even worse than Shaun.

Problem is not about salary offer and draft pick, problem these players prefer to stayed rather than go to Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rory Sloan at Adelaide still has 4 years left on his contract turns 30 next year.

Maybe he wants out?
Adelaide want to rejuvenate there list.
Maybe pick 2 would get the deal done

Are we paying overs?

Probably for a 30yr old but if we want to break the cycle.

Brisbane started with hodge.. and ended up getting Neal and Charlie Cameron.

Could be the beginning for us

If we do end up with picks 1 and 2 this year, I don't see the point in trading one or both of them.

Just take Rowell and Anderson who want to play in the same team and pair them up and real quick give them a good deal to sign on for 2 extra years.

Everything else on the table, including our first rounder next year if we can get an older big fish to come.

Just thinking about it, but if we get to the end of May next year and we get two year extensions done for King, Lukosious, Rowell and Anderson to join with Rankine, suspect we will feel a whole whole lot better about the place. Very doable, so it is not all bad......until such time as we can't get those 2 year extensions done!

I agree.

Selwood would be the prize

If we do end up with picks 1 and 2 this year, I don't see the point in trading one or both of them.

Just take Rowell and Anderson who want to play in the same team and pair them up and real quick give them a good deal to sign on for 2 extra years.

Everything else on the table, including our first rounder next year if we can get an older big fish to come.

Just thinking about it, but if we get to the end of May next year and we get two year extensions done for King, Lukosious, Rowell and Anderson to join with Rankine, suspect we will feel a whole whole lot better about the place. Very doable, so it is not all bad......until such time as we can't get those 2 year extensions done!
Agree with a lot of this.
Brodie, Ainsworth, Bowes from 2016, Weller, Ballard & Powell 2017
King, Luko, Rankine, McLennan 2018
Anderson, Rowell, other first round picks used and Budarick.
The club knows this is the future and any A graders will come from drafting and not from trades.
Trades will be for quality people who train hard and will develop the kids. Whether they’re 35, C graders or what not, these players are short term only.
Rate what the club are doing after the train wreck left behind.
We identify 5-6 who we do everything possible to keep, like GWS, and just acknowledge we’ll lose some players. That’s why we won’t pay overs any longer for Martin & Ah Chee types.

Last edited:
Yes, as hell it's frustrating not to be able attract quality players or even old players for experience at the moment. But what did people expect? Wooden spoon, 18 losses in a row. No quality player will join us this year especially if AFL does not want to give us extra salary cap. What can list management do besides trying? We probably again get a couple of fringe players this year.

I personally would be happy if we get another Collins/Holman type player or another Burgess/Corbett who actually showed in their first AFL season that they will be good players for us and they don't cost us a lot. Build cap for next 1-2 years and then go after 24-26 old stars when we should be climbing the ladder.

The key is to limit injuries. Get another top quality draftees and extend them all. Our young core is approaching 50 games, we should see improvement from them again. Playing another year together, another preseason with bigger bodies, more synergy, better execution, healthier list - that's where improvement comes from.

Last edited:
Agree with a lot of this.
Brodie, Ainsworth, Bowes from 2016, Weller & Powell 2017
King, Luko, Rankine, McLennan 2018
Anderson, Rowell, other first round picks used and Budarick.
The club knows this is the future and any A graders will come from drafting and not from trades.
Trades will be for quality people who train hard and will develop the kids. Whether they’re 35, C graders or what not, these players are short term only.
Rate what the club are doing after the train wreck left behind.
We identify 5-6 who we do everything possible to keep, like GWS, and just acknowledge we’ll lose some players. That’s why we won’t pay overs any longer for Martin & Ah Chee types.

I’m in agreeing with a lot of all this.
But say over paying for a star this year could help get Lukosius or Ben King to sign on.
Just due to this 1 star player rather then performance next year.

Risk losing 2 future guns of the comp if we fail to make inroads in 2020

But say over paying for a star this year could help get Lukosius or Ben King to sign on.

If you get one star player and he had serious injuries it is back to square one anywhere, you need 4 top quality players to come in and also avoid injuries. Fyfe and Crotchin do miss a lot of matches due to injuries and the way the go into contest.

If Bowes, Fiorini, Ainsworth or Brodie take their games to another level, which the club believe, then Luko & King will sign on. It’s getting them to stay past the first year which is the key.

If you get one star player and he had serious injuries it is back to square one anywhere, you need 4 top quality players to come in and also avoid injuries. Fyfe and Crotchin do miss a lot of matches due to injuries and the way the go into contest.
Cotchin really doesnt miss alot , He had under developed achilles when drafted and played 25 games in the first 2 years and just this year he has had a hamstring issue. but still managed to play 232 games of a possible 260 in 12 years

Cotchin really doesnt miss alot , He had under developed achilles when drafted and played 25 games in the first 2 years and just this year he has had a hamstring issue. but still managed to play 232 games of a possible 260 in 12 years
How many times GCS get players that towards the end of their career and played well with their former club but miss a lot because of injuries for GCS- Ablett, Hanley, Brown,the workload playing with Richmond is a lot different than with GCS, as there is no dusty, Riedworlt, Rance, houli. Actually Ablett is at his peak when he joined GCS. You need to spread the load.

A lot of people here don't even knew who is M chol, but I already asked if GC can take him before his first AFL game with Richmond.

Last edited:
I believe we should target up and coming talent from other teams for example Ben kings brother or Sam Walsh. Offer overs if need be. Become the hunters not the hunted like the Bulldogs did to GWS. Time to break the cycle and start pushing back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back