List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

No one expected Lukosius and King to perform right away.

From last years draft Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith were the two expected to perform straight away.

There was genuine excitement to see Rankine play AFL, but he plays a different game than Walsh and Smith.

Rozee and Duursma have exceeded everyone’s expectations.

That’s why I brought up the discussion yesterday about players in this years draft ready to play from round one, and mentioned Rowell and Gould.
Plenty of people including media experts said Lukosius was game ready

Plenty of people including media experts said Lukosius was game ready
To be far he played extremely well in the SANFL ones so he looked 100% game ready, he has struggled early with the speed of the game, Has looked better in defence the last few weeks though. Needs some more weight and a bit more aggression but his field kicking and vision is already A grade

To be far he played extremely well in the SANFL ones so he looked 100% game ready, he has struggled early with the speed of the game, Has looked better in defence the last few weeks though. Needs some more weight and a bit more aggression but his field kicking and vision is already A grade
His top age year in the SANFL was a bit hit and miss, compared to his debut in the finals the year before.

He absolutely tore up the U18 Championships, play back and forward.

8 Marks, 16 Disposals for the weekend is a fair game of footy for a first year player. Give him a few years to bulk up with some more talent around him he will get better.
Yep, really should be played off half back or wing until he adds some weight, but I believe he's never gone to be a big body.

Tom Cutler from Brisbane OOC, Avgs over 21 touches over the 3 games he has played this season. Outside run and pace that our team may need. Would defiantly get a bunch of game time with us.

I still hold out some feint hope we have put a bucket of money towards Harry Cunningham as well as he is a RFA, would be a good bolster to our midfield as well.
There's been some quiet talk about him heading back to Melbourne.

He appears to be in Fagan's dog house. He has all the tools to be a gun wing or HBF, but won't go in to a contest. He can win his one on ones, but won't put his body on the line for the sacrifice play.

Cutler is genuinely talented. But he's not a leader. And he needs to be managed if he's not in the first team. He's not the type that will bust his guts in the two's to get back in to the first team unless he receives one on one coaching from the bench.

Honestly I'm not sure I'd recommend any of our out of contract players.

I'd love to see Ben Keays, Corey Lyons, Mitchell Hinge and Josh Walker get a shot elsewhere. Hinge possibly has the highest upside, as a HBF or winger who offers pace, skills and defence. Walker offers something as a tall defender, can play forward and chop out in the ruck.

Nic Roberston is hard and tough, not so skilled, works his tail off, can play as a medium tall defender, and possibly as a big bodied mid. We've mostly played him as a defender. He is a good decision maker in open play, but a momentum killer if it's a congested field and there's no obvious choice to kick to. Even takes his time when the obvious choice is to kick it down the line. Will asses every other option, then kick down the line, when it was the obvious choice all along, but by then the opposition has flooded what was originally a one on one or two on two contest.

What about targeting JPK - 31 years old
Is 4 years older than the rest of the Swans key players (Franklin 32, Rampe 29, Sinclair 29 the exceptions)
Feel like he doesn't fit their timeline rebuild and they wouldn't mind getting a younger asset for him. Another player / pick to fit in with the Heeney, Mills, Hayward, Blakely, Florent, Papley, Hewett, Dawson, Allir, Lloyd group would be win/win I feel.

Still playing very well. Could we look to give him a big value 2 year contract?

What about targeting JPK - 31 years old
Is 4 years older than the rest of the Swans key players (Franklin 32, Rampe 29, Sinclair 29 the exceptions)
Feel like he doesn't fit their timeline rebuild and they wouldn't mind getting a younger asset for him. Another player / pick to fit in with the Heeney, Mills, Hayward, Blakely, Florent, Papley, Hewett, Dawson, Allir, Lloyd group would be win/win I feel.

Still playing very well. Could we look to give him a big value 2 year contract?
Yep, I've thought he'd be the type that would be a good get for us. Would have a Dew relationship too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things.

One. Getting a priority pick you have to trade is just silly, given where we are. I mean, what are we going to trade it for? To be blunt, we will end up trading it for more picks. We have tried multiple times to get A/B grade established players to come and be well paid, why will it be different this time? The Giants went through this early doors, the Lions tried as well. The best deals will be pick deals until such time as you are good or close to good already.

The 'have to trade' crowd are just trying to have it both ways. Yes we are giving the Suns a pick, but they don't get to use it and any club can get pick 1 so it is not that bad.

The better 'half baked' option would be to give us the option of an upgrade. That is, give away the Lions pick plus future 2nd and 3rd rounders to get #1 this year. In effect, allow us to trade picks for #1 this year. I would do that this year if we wooden spoon it since we can add best mates who are both mids. A double bonus.

Two. If we are ever going to get a good PP it should be this year or next. The establishment picks we got were largely wasted for a few reasons, but in hindsight it was deadset madness to plop a bunch of young kids together and THEN have the smallest footy department spending in the comp during the crucial establishment years. Sink or swim boys, and by the way there are a lot of bull sharks in that there river.

If we are ever going to get an extra high pick we have to do it when we top the table on player welfare and development, which we finally did this year and we also plan to keep increasing the spending on that. If we are not top 3 on that we are kidding ourselves (with the other two being GWS and Brisbane).

So get stuck in Tony. Ask for pick 1, might end up with trading the Lions pick for pick 1.

If we finish last we will get the first pick in the pre season draft which I think means we can effectively sign any out of contracted player for nothing

Coasters, I come in peace seeking knowledge and understanding.
Wondering whether Michael Hurley is a player your club would be interested in / your backline requires, and what it would take to extricate Peter Wright...

Coasters, I come in peace seeking knowledge and understanding.
Wondering whether Michael Hurley is a player your club would be interested in / your backline requires, and what it would take to extricate Peter Wright...

Peter Wright leaving would take an act of god. Sam Day would be gettable if you are looking for a tall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back