List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

You do wonder what the club actually is thinking....

Quality midfielders is the only thing they should be concentrating on, I'm the same in thinking if they can somehow grab a few quality midfielders the teams peformances will improve dramatically. This is where a boost in salary cap / exemptions from the AFL will come in handy.

Would a Tim Kelly, Clayton Oliver or Brad Hill come for $1.5mil a year?

The backline and forward lines are actually pretty decent when fit. Maybe a small quick goalsneak would be handy.
We'd certainly need an increased salary cap in order to pay a $1.5 mil a year midfielder. Burgoyne seems more gettable at this stage & may help with retention of our young, indigenous players, including Ah Chee who could grow into a pretty handy midfielder anyway.

I thought the Hilarious part of this is where they think jarryd lyons is the perfect fit for gold coast. He clearly wasn't suiting our needs last year and whispers that he was unhappy were backed up by looking disinterested on field.
I thought the Hilarious part of this is where they think jarryd lyons is the perfect fit for gold coast. He clearly wasn't suiting our needs last year and whispers that he was unhappy were backed up by looking disinterested on field.
wasn't there a bit of a black cloud about him off the field around his treatment of his wife/fiancé and other women?

wasn't there a bit of a black cloud about him off the field around his treatment of his wife/fiancé and other women?
something was going on with his attitude but hadn't heard it was that bad. I had heard stuff along those line of may but that was all.

Hey Guys, I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I genuinely like thinking through different strategies for footy lists.

Interestingly I think this is what GC should do if they get the Priority pick at pick #1

Out Pick #1 and Lukosious
In: Crouch brothers from Adelaide

You may need to do some pick swapping later to finalise it, but I think it's actually an reasonable option.

GC get the Crouch brothers who are hitting their prime, proven ball winners both inside and out to support Swallow as well as provide leadership to protect all these kids you have there.

Adelaide will get Pick #1 to go along with either pick #2 or #3 that they get with the Carlton deal, get a kid that went pick #2 last year that they were desperately trying to trade up the draft for whilst still having the core of the existing group. They would still have inside ball winner like Sloan, Douglas and CEY

If you do the deal I suggested, then get a Burgoyne for a packet of chips like Hawks did with Mitchell and Hodge, and potentially throw in McVeigh from Sydney for nothing also, they would be in a much better position both playing wise and culturally (experience and standards wise, not saying its a poor culture overall).

While the kid Lukosious could turn into a pretty good footballer, I reckon for the better long term future of the club, giving up someone like him to get in established players like the Crouch brothers would have an immediate impact on the on field performance, and help all the young kids you have there now develop with good senior players looking after them.

Effectively you give up a priority pick to and a kid to get 4 established players all while still keeping pick #2 (if your ladder position doesn't change) in the draft.

Hey Guys, I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I genuinely like thinking through different strategies for footy lists.

Interestingly I think this is what GC should do if they get the Priority pick at pick #1

You may need to do some pick swapping later to finalise it, but I think it's actually an reasonable option.

GC get the Crouch brothers who are hitting their prime, proven ball winners both inside and out to support Swallow as well as provide leadership to protect all these kids you have there.

Adelaide will get Pick #1 to go along with either pick #2 or #3 that they get with the Carlton deal, get a kid that went pick #2 last year that they were desperately trying to trade up the draft for whilst still having the core of the existing group. They would still have inside ball winner like Sloan, Douglas and CEY

If you do the deal I suggested, then get a Burgoyne for a packet of chips like Hawks did with Mitchell and Hodge, and potentially throw in McVeigh from Sydney for nothing also, they would be in a much better position both playing wise and culturally (experience and standards wise, not saying its a poor culture overall).

While the kid Lukosious could turn into a pretty good footballer, I reckon for the better long term future of the club, giving up someone like him to get in established players like the Crouch brothers would have an immediate impact on the on field performance, and help all the young kids you have there now develop with good senior players looking after them.

Effectively you give up a priority pick to and a kid to get 4 established players all while still keeping pick #2 (if your ladder position doesn't change) in the draft.
Appreciate the input but I don’t see how the Crouch brothers are worth pick 1 and last years pick 2 in Lukosius. We need some quality big bodied no doubt but selling our elite youth would see us crash and burn in 5 years time.

I wouldn't be as crushed with something like that.

Would pretty much fix our midfield issues and would see us automatically become more competitive, win some more games and be a better environment to let kids develop. Yeah, we would lose out on a couple of talented kids, but at this point I have seen 9 years of talented kids and no end product.

Good idea, but I doubt crouch brother want to come. If I am not mistaken one of them are pretty injuries prone too. As long GC medical team do their due diligence and confident that they are better than Adelaide in getting both up and running for a few full season I don't have problem. You don't want to get SOMEBODY let lever and park in rehab.

Like Dixon said you need to sit both the players down that have not committed and have an honest conversation. They should know after a season at the club what their plans are.

From there the preference is to get seasoned midfield talent if that is a viable option and the club to use the currency they have to make that happen.

Yeah sorry, I just meant if I were GC, I'd be looking at those two as senior players on the EFC list who could be getable.

I also think one of Wright or King would benefit our list. Looking again at what I've written, maybe Wright and a 3rd or King and a 2nd. It's conjecture though. Does that sound equitable to you?
Hm, I don't know. I don't like that for us still. I wouldn't be trading Wright or King unless they said "i am going to leave"
Would you trade Andrew McGrath for Isaac Smith and Liam Shiels?.. I see that as a somewhat comparable trade to what you're suggesting.

He was never unhappy, he was having a ball to be honest, he was just about to buy a home when the rug was pulled out. He was just lazy and didn’t set the greatest example in that respect, not to mention, loved a gamble here and there. He’s now happily married and thriving.

The
se articles shot me to tears. They think our issue is our younger players. Perhaps it may play a role, but I would say it’s our ******* injuries. We have no tall interceptors ffs. Missing like 8-10 of our starting lineup. We were hot out of the gates at the start of the year when everyone said we would be at the bottom all year. It’s not a coincidence that as we lost more players we slid down the ladder.

The

se articles shot me to tears. They think our issue is our younger players. Perhaps it may play a role, but I would say it’s our ******* injuries. We have no tall interceptors ffs. Missing like 8-10 of our starting lineup. We were hot out of the gates at the start of the year when everyone said we would be at the bottom all year. It’s not a coincidence that as we lost more players we slid down the ladder.
The high intensity gameplay is directly responsible for the injury toll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting take.
Dixon’s on the drugs. Trade all our talent for a dozen senior players? Where are they going to come from? We had to give up a pick 5 for Jarred Brennan and a pick 2 for Weller FFS. Maybe there’s an NAB Draft credit card the club can apply for? Pick morally sound players with leadership and then suggests Sicily for Pick 1? Then we have to find the players who are willing to move here. :drunk:

He was never unhappy, he was having a ball to be honest, he was just about to buy a home when the rug was pulled out. He was just lazy and didn’t set the greatest example in that respect, not to mention, loved a gamble here and there. He’s now happily married and thriving.
Funny you say that. My mate saw him and Corey having a pint and punt two or three days before a game last year...

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

The high intensity gameplay is directly responsible for the injury toll
We've had injury issues almost every single year, You can't blame the game plan for that.

Contact sports are supposed to be played at a high intensity, Even "non contact" sports are played with a degree of desperation.

IMO the injury issue is tied to the lack of depth forcing players to play through minor issues that create larger ones throughout the season.

We've had injury issues almost every single year, You can't blame the game plan for that.

Contact sports are supposed to be played at a high intensity, Even "non contact" sports are played with a degree of desperation.

IMO the injury issue is tied to the lack of depth forcing players to play through minor issues that create larger ones throughout the season.
We don't handle pain well! Compare Pendles with Martin - Pendles operated on last Saturday and named to play this week. Martin operated a couple of weeks ago and still no sign he'll play again this year. We are just not strong enough mentally or physically when compared against the rest.

We don't handle pain well! Compare Pendles with Martin - Pendles operated on last Saturday and named to play this week. Martin operated a couple of weeks ago and still no sign he'll play again this year. We are just not strong enough mentally or physically when compared against the rest.

Was the injury the same in every single way? From the exact break to the severity of it? If not, what a stupid comparison to make without facts.

To have good injuries management you need depth and good game plan, if you knew that you're not going to play final footy for some time why not rotate players, I am all for pressure based and zoning but you need to build your skill up. Pressure based footy is for final series, you can get away a bit with home and away series without it.
Long bomb, pressure based.
Possesion, counter attack.
Mixture of both.

Last edited:

Don't think we want Martin playing anyway. Every game he played he was depreciating his trade value.

Appreciate the input but I don’t see how the Crouch brothers are worth pick 1 and last years pick 2 in Lukosius. We need some quality big bodied no doubt but selling our elite youth would see us crash and burn in 5 years time.
I see your point, but Devils advocate would say just keeping your kids has seen you crash and burn the last 5 years already.
I'm not sure selling one kids would be that bad to be honest (and my assumption is based on getting a priority pick here as well). So if you take the point of view the PP is a freebie, you are giving up 1 kid, for two established midfielders with plenty of time on the clock.

I wouldn't be as crushed with something like that.

Would pretty much fix our midfield issues and would see us automatically become more competitive, win some more games and be a better environment to let kids develop. Yeah, we would lose out on a couple of talented kids, but at this point I have seen 9 years of talented kids and no end product.

I kind of us Richmond from around the time both you and GWS came into the comp through to 2014ish, where were the sh!ttest team by a mile and had poor first round picks due to the compromised draft with new teams (which I have no issue with), so we got blokes like Houli, Grigg, Chaplin, Pettard, A Edwards amongst others to take some of the weight off Jack, Cotch, Dusty, and let them develop. At look whilst it wasn't pretty all the time, it was better than sitting in the bottom couple, and I think, whilst 5-10 years later, we are seeing the rewards for doing that.

Good idea, but I doubt crouch brother want to come. If I am not mistaken one of them are pretty injuries prone too. As long GC medical team do their due diligence and confident that they are better than Adelaide in getting both up and running for a few full season I don't have problem. You don't want to get SOMEBODY let lever and park in rehab.

Of course the hardest part in any hypothetical trade is the question would the players being mentioned want to come in the first place. But if you don't ask the question, you will never get the answer you want.

so we got blokes like Houli, Grigg, Chaplin, Pettard, A Edwards amongst others to take some of the weight off Jack, Cotch, Dusty, and let them develop.
None of those players were A graders like the Crouches. They were just serviceable guys that you didn't need to trade all the talented youth for. That's all Gold Coast need, players who can hold the fort for a couple of years and impart some good standards and practises. They don't need to sell the farm or anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back