List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Early start I know. But not completely irrelevant with a spot on our list open for the supplementary pick. We have till mid March to use that, otherwise we can use it in the mid season draft.

Also after watching the Dogs we really lack that all star midfielder. Should be looking at picking up some good to great midfielders this year. Lauchie Hunter is OOC according to Footywire, he is an example of the kind of people we should be asking the question of.

Write down your hopes and dreams.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After reading Thurls’ post in the other thread looks like we’ll get a pick at #70 odd when we give up Brodie for next to nothing. God I hope that is not true. At least try for a pick in the twenties or thirties in return.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Brodie situation is interesting, it is early enough in the season that if he sorts out his attitude he can get a role in this team that is crying out for imposing midfielders.

However, constantly questioning the coach and choices, is not the way to go about it. The thing I love about the team at the moment, they all seem to be on the same page. Introducing others that may disrupt this is not something we should look to be doing.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You can take thurls posts to the bank. So we have a massive problem here.
Not a massive problem Bods. We have more than enough boys willing to give 100% to the team to keep Brodie out anyway. No shortage of players looking for the opportunity come to the Gold Coast or draft currency either.

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't see us having anything like the "exodus" issues this year and into trade period, I also think we should attract more experienced but opportunity starved players of good character this trade period ………………..if we fall off a cliff of course this could change but think we will be better this year

Might lose Jack M and trade Will but not the end of the world, I think jack will stay if we head north in results

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
If players can see how the likes of Miles, Murdoch and Horlin-Smith can get their careers going if they have a good year. I can see a few similar type of characters wanting to make their way in. Also wouldn't be against us pushing the boat out and trying to lure up some A-B Grade talents if they are available.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If players can see how the likes of Miles, Murdoch and Horlin-Smith can get their careers going if they have a good year. I can see a few similar type of characters wanting to make their way in. Also wouldn't be against us pushing the boat out and trying to lure up some A-B Grade talents if they are available.
Pretty sure I remember Evans or someone from the club saying a while ago that we’ll have some money to go after a good player or two this year.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Fremantle has tall forward overload

Hogan / Lobb / Cox / Taberner / McCarthy

Can only see max 3 playing in one team. Hogan and Lobb walk up starts
Cox immensely talented but troubled. There was some talk that Fremantle was going to play him in defence, played forward in JLT-1 and kicked 3 goals.
McCarthy probably an odd one out and definitely not of high character

Suspect that Taberner misses out
- Could be someone to look at, 26 at the end of the year, played 60-70 games. Good contested mark - believe it or not actually lead the competition in contested marks / game in 2017 (2.8), 2.2 in 2018. Last year boosted his possession numbers significantly. Had developed pretty slowly before that.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fremantle has tall forward overload

Hogan / Lobb / Cox / Taberner / McCarthy

Can only see max 3 playing in one team. Hogan and Lobb walk up starts
Cox immensely talented but troubled. There was some talk that Fremantle was going to play him in defence, played forward in JLT-1 and kicked 3 goals.
McCarthy probably an odd one out and definitely not of high character

Suspect that Taberner misses out
- Could be someone to look at, 26 at the end of the year, played 60-70 games. Good contested mark - believe it or not actually lead the competition in contested marks / game in 2017 (2.8), 2.2 in 2018. Last year boosted his possession numbers significantly. Had developed pretty slowly before that.
Like your thinking - wouldnt be against giving Tabs a tour of the club.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Darcy Cameron seems like he will never get a gig in Sydney
Even when he was the only fit ruckman Horse didn't play him. Eventually played him as a forward with Sinclair in the team for a single game when we beat them in Sydney.
Has been the dominant ruckman in NEAFL. Would be good depth for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Billy Stretch another
Fast winger starved of opportunity in Melbournes midfield
Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 6.38.30 PM.png

Played a few games in his first few seasons but only 11 games last 2 years - averaged 20 possessions in just 2 games last year
The Melbourne website says "one of the most professional players at Melbourne, a favourite of coaching staff, when given senior opportunities provides plenty of drive and has some tricks
Sounds like a guy that may suit the new rules. 23 at the end of the year so could add to our core age group.
Although his father played for Melbourne so may be inclined to stick around.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Apparently Darcy Macpherson has a younger brother Ewan
Excellent 2020 draft player

This from
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/tag/ewan-macpherson/

#6 Ewan Macpherson

The Diamond Creek product led from the front and did everything in his power to make his side’s performance more respectable. His burst from the clearances early was a highlight, and he showed good agility to keep some nippy would-be tacklers at bay. The younger brother of Gold Coast’s Darcy, Macpherson has the same willingness to push the ball forward at all costs and break through whoever may be in his way. An overarching theme of his game was leadership, and he can hold his head up high for that.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Our midfield was the weakest part of our list at the end of last year, and then we cut Lyons and then the top of the last draft was filled with non-mids (especially once BSmith was not available to us). So still the weakest even though we did add some mid depth.

The bottom line is that we just don't have anyone playing like a top 40 or top 50 mid. Every single week the oppo will have 1 or 2 mids that are flat out better than any of our mids atm.

Given that we are not that efficient with the ball yet, and our midfield is not that great yet, and the centre square clearance will lead to more scoring chances this year, I think we were always going to struggle to win many games.

Got to be patient this year, keep rotating the young guys in there and wait for some growth and development from Fiorini, Bowes et al. Hope the top of this draft has some quality mids.

Pretty optimistic about the rest of the list, but can't fix everything in one off-season.

Would like to respond to this post and not get banned, so have copied and pasted here to reply.

I believe you’re scouting and recruiting team did a good job last trade and draft period. You filled some long term needs at the draft with Lukosius and King. They’re traditionally positions where it takes a while for kids to develop. While you used your supplemental picks to bring in players who can “do a job” while the younger draftees develop. Once King and Lukosius develop, the likes of Collins and Corbett can move in to a third tall role, which both are probably better suited to.

You also have two potential top 5 or a top 5 and top 10 pick in a draft where the top 10 is going to be predominantly mids, this year.

This years draft does look to be a bit thin on top quality KPP’s at this stage.

You also have a number of mids in your academy this year that look to be draftable at the end of the year.

There may not be a Sam Walsh or Clayton Oliver in this years draft, but there sure is going to be a couple of kids as good as Bailey Smith, Jye Caldwell and Chayce Jones. Maybe with another years development, a couple of these kids make the step up to the next level and are in the same conversation as Walsh or Oliver.

And boy will I be pissed if you draft Sam Flanders from Gippsland with that Brisbane pick.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
GOLD Coast is eyeing former NAB AFL Academy member Sam Fletcher as it looks to bolster its midfield stocks just two days before Friday's selection deadline.

Source: afl website

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like the look of him! Reads the ball well from the tap, 187cm midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back