List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
No priority picks. No more handouts please.
No more priority picks. We have had enough chances at the draft. Constantly putting 18 year olds out on the field will not help us get any better. We now need more players around that 50-100 game mark that have played enough AFL to step in and be a leader to our young players. The talent is there we just need experience around it

Cannot believe this !!

If any team needs / deserves a PP its the suns and if i was in charge i would be very vocal and demanding the AFL give the suns a priority pick #1
Its about time the afl got serious and help the suns get off the bottom of the ladder and with the 2 boys in Rowell & Anderson being best mates it should be a priority to get both to the suns for player retention as well as quality kids coming into the club.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Cannot believe this !!

If any team needs / deserves a PP its the suns and if i was in charge i would be very vocal and demanding the AFL give the suns a priority pick #1
Its about time the afl got serious and help the suns get off the bottom of the ladder and with the 2 boys in Rowell & Anderson being best mates it should be a priority to get both to the suns for player retention as well as quality kids coming into the club.

“Parity” Picks. What they gave GWS in comparison to us is a rort.

I wish my Sun brethren would seethis rather than making love to the AFL House establishment.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I think you’ll find by the end of the season draft watchers will be talking about possibly 4 or 5 players in that top group.

Right now I believe Hayden Young is up there already. Lachlan Ash is pushing up as well.

Then there’s Vic Country’s captain, Caleb Serong. He’s been compared by Cal Twomey to Ben Ainsworth, but already midfield ready. He’s been dominating the midfield for Vic Country at the U18 Championships.

If you could get Hayden Young and Serong, by trading pick 1 or 2, you’re probably coming out ahead.

But..... and it’s a big but. You need a team who has two high first round picks to make the trade.

Can't see anyone of the club's with top 5 picks somehow being able to get another top 5 pick.

I think there is a path for us getting an extra top pick for Martin + your 1st rd pick.

If only Martin was a FA and wanted to leave we would get some decent 1st rd compensation.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

I wish my Sun brethren would seethis rather than making love to the AFL House establishment.

It's a bit unprecedented - a club that has never has success

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool

I am with you but I am tired, GCS management is a joke. Ask for two extra rookie A and went to draft 19 years old injured in U 18 last year.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I am with you but I am tired, GCS management is a joke. Ask for two extra rookie A and went to draft 19 years old injured in U 18 last year.

I actually think we have the right management in place now and it’s just a matter of time before we see success. Any priority pick would be the end of the first round and even then I don’t think it would be forecoming for the Suns. The blues would demand the same as us regardless if they finish above or below and were stupid enough to trade pick 1 for Stocker

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I actually think we have the right management in place now and it’s just a matter of time before we see success. Any priority pick would be the end of the first round and even then I don’t think it would be forecoming for the Suns. The blues would demand the same as us regardless if they finish above or below and were stupid enough to trade pick 1 for Stocker
I don't even think right now , just look at last season and compare this season , nothing changes . NEAFL team without Barlow , Lyons and replace with Risca and other actually getting worse . Last season at least NEAFL team win more matches . Team like Hawthorn. Bulldog and Richmond in afl getting worse but at least their development team in VFL know how to win matches. If you compare Carlton and St Kilda reserves they had the same problem in VFL winning matches .

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
We’ve had this discussion on the Lions board, and it’s been discussed on many podcasts.

Not every mature age prospect is going to be willing to uproot their life and move to QLD.

And I don’t blame them when they’re on a minimum contract, and having to pay their way when relocating.

AFL contracts are not like overseas sports. The minimum contract in the NBA is US$1mil. Heck, a 10 day contract is US$55k. That’s US$55k for 10 days for a minor league player to try make the team during the season.

I bet the Suns had many meetings with potential mature age prospects before the suplamental draft, to gage who was willing to move north and who wasn’t.

Same with the SSP and mid-season draft. No point drafting a player who doesn’t have long term potential to stay on the list.

Sloane13

Debutant
Apr 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know the Crows have never had a number 1 pick. But geez Grotto, two future stars picked at 2 and 3 for pick 1, cmon mate that’s robbery :)
We will get Rankine and or lacosious. Just a question of when ! This year best chance get fair compensation for one of them bookmark it sorry but appears that was always Adelaide’s gameplay if they missed out on them

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
We will get Rankine and or lacosious. Just a question of when ! This year best chance get fair compensation for one of them bookmark it sorry but appears that was always Adelaide’s gameplay if they missed out on them
Here is the bait...

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
We’ve had this discussion on the Lions board, and it’s been discussed on many podcasts.

Not every mature age prospect is going to be willing to uproot their life and move to QLD.

And I don’t blame them when they’re on a minimum contract, and having to pay their way when relocating.

AFL contracts are not like overseas sports. The minimum contract in the NBA is US$1mil. Heck, a 10 day contract is US$55k. That’s US$55k for 10 days for a minor league player to try make the team during the season.

I bet the Suns had many meetings with potential mature age prospects before the suplamental draft, to gage who was willing to move north and who wasn’t.

Same with the SSP and mid-season draft. No point drafting a player who doesn’t have long term potential to stay on the list.
If you Cant even take risk in Rookie draft for one year contract, ND draft will become more difficult, I don't think GCS should duplicate what tbe lion do but at least look at how GWS and Sydney team do in neafl, how Richmond, hawthorn set their VFL team, Fagan do have experience how box Hill set up their team.

* I mention is a mistake to trade multiple second Rd and third Rd to Brisbane last year for your second Rd pick in ND draft - you disagree. Noah answeth, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry all from GCS pick in ND draft.
Basically Sam fletcher and Riordan are the left over from last year pick after all those second and third Rd pick trade to Brisbane.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

That may well be Adelaide's plan, but are you aware we have 12 SA players on our list right now, and we've had a few in the past too, and not one has asked to go back to Adelaide. Not to say it won't happen in the future but in the last 10 yrs, not one has asked to go back. I'll back our management in over yours. And if you're desperate to get Jack back, the least you could do is spell his name correctly.

Sloane13

Debutant
Apr 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
That may well be Adelaide's plan, but are you aware we have 12 SA players on our list right now, and we've had a few in the past too, and not one has asked to go back to Adelaide. Not to say it won't happen in the future but in the last 10 yrs, not one has asked to go back. I'll back our management in over yours. And if you're desperate to get Jack back, the least you could do is spell his name correctly.
True but issue is we don’t want any of other sa boys just Izac and jack please. You can have the rest 😁

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Utter BS. A lot of people had Carlton improving and finishing 12-15. We wouldn't even trade you Rankines sweaty jocks for pick 5.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
If you Cant even take risk in Rookie draft for one year contract, ND draft will become more difficult, I don't think GCS should duplicate what tbe lion do but at least look at how GWS and Sydney team do in neafl, how Richmond, hawthorn set their VFL team, Fagan do have experience how box Hill set up their team.

* I mention is a mistake to trade multiple second Rd and third Rd to Brisbane last year for your second Rd pick in ND draft - you disagree. Noah answeth, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry all from GCS pick in ND draft.
Basically Sam fletcher and Riordan are the left over from last year pick after all those second and third Rd pick trade to Brisbane.

We only took two of the four picks to the draft.

One we used to draft Berry, the other, pick 74 we didn’t use.

The other two picks, 41 and 44 were traded to Collingwood in the Beams trade.

Noah Answerth we traded a future 4th round pick for.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Would be great if we had people that could remove that stuff mate.
Just to busy baiting their own people

So now you are going down that path again? I will only warn you for this post, but please be aware, extremely thin ice

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
We only took two of the four picks to the draft.

One we used to draft Berry, the other, pick 74 we didn’t use.

The other two picks, 41 and 44 were traded to Collingwood in the Beams trade.

Noah Answerth we traded a future 4th round pick for.
So are you suggesting trading multiple second Rd /third Rd pick to Brisbane for your second Rd and pick up two 19 years old injuries prone players in Spp and mid season draft make GCS stronger because mature age players don't want to come help GCS

Is like Brisbane have 3 pick in 20- 40+ and gave it up for 1 pick in 20+ and later go went to Spp and mid season draft taking two left over players and GCS poster went to your board and said mature age don't want to come to Brisbane help your argument . A bad deal is a a bad deal, Weller deal is still more reasonable at least GCS tried their luck in 40+ Pick for Ballard and nothing stop GCS using those pick on Fletcher /Riordan type too.

Last edited:

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Currently retention is the number one issue with appalling injury list and health management a close second. ...and then there's our choice of draft targets during mid season. I believe Richmond showed us how to play the market - they clearly chose Marlion Pickett (broken thumb and all) NOT for this year but for 2020. The Suns could have done the same thing with Pick 2 and got themselves a ready made wrecking ball for next year - this year's done and dusted anyway. But we again pick a young kid who hasn't even played a game yet in the NEAFL? The retention issue really worries me: If we don't sign King, Luko and Rankine within the next couple of months or so, we will be drifting towards that old scenario - "I won't be making a decision until the end of the season (2020) and see how I'm going and the club etc". Toss in uncertainty about Martin, Brodie, Ah Chee, Day and I'm sure a few more then we have an issue that the club is not talking about. There needs to be some transparency regarding contract extensions or issues - we deserve at least some carrot of information. I'm also reliably told that Leslie wanted out last year but was persuaded to stay as a rookie insurance for another year. Probably no big loss but it's an indication of a much bigger problem. Rischa will retire and there will be a culling of players at NEAFL level as well. If the worse happens, we again see a mass migration from the club and back to rebuild 301! We must beat STK this week and at least one more to end up with 5 to give even a glimmer of hope to players and what supporters will be left with another 17 or 18 ladder finish. Get the three future champs locked in as a priority and then add some age and talent, experience to the mix. We have enough young kids who are 'showing improvement'.

Back