List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

“Parity” Picks. What they gave GWS in comparison to us is a rort.

I wish my Sun brethren would seethis rather than making love to the AFL House establishment.
I'm not sure whether picks would be the solution for you guys at this late stage. Looking from afar you need some experienced bodies. Like how Hodge, Neale and Cameron have turned Brisbane around.

Not only do they lead the kids on field, they give them confidence, help them develop their games and take the pressure off them too. Too many kids can end up with a bit of a 'blind leading the blind' type scenario.

Maybe some targeted salary concessions to take advantage of free agency/trades might help more in the longer term?

Either way something needs to be done. It's a joke the way the AFL left you guys out in the rain once shiny new GWS baby came along.

So are you suggesting trading multiple second Rd /third Rd pick to Brisbane for your second Rd and pick up two 19 years old injuries prone players in Spp and mid season draft make GCS stronger because mature age players don't want to come help GCS

Is like Brisbane have 3 pick in 20- 40+ and gave it up for 1 pick in 20+ and later go went to Spp and mid season draft taking two left over players and GCS poster went to your board and said mature age don't want to come to Brisbane help your argument . A bad deal is a a bad deal, Weller deal is still more reasonable at least GCS tried their luck in 40+ Pick for Ballard and nothing stop GCS using those pick on Fletcher /Riordan type too.
I'm not suggesting anything of the sort.

In fact you can't infer anything from what i've said in regards to your pick trades, etc.

Plus you're totally off base in regards to the SSP and Mid Season Draft.

Both are tools to fill the rookie list due to long term injuries that might occur during the preseason or first half of the season.

In regards to drafting mature age prospects during the midseason draft, David Noble has discussed the issues of potentially drafting mature prospects on multiple Lions podcasts. It's quite simple, you can't draft a prospect from the VFL or SANFL if they're not willing to uproot their life to move north.

I'm not suggesting anything of the sort.

In fact you can't infer anything from what i've said in regards to your pick trades, etc.

Plus you're totally off base in regards to the SSP and Mid Season Draft.

Both are tools to fill the rookie list due to long term injuries that might occur during the preseason or first half of the season.

In regards to drafting mature age prospects during the midseason draft, David Noble has discussed the issues of potentially drafting mature prospects on multiple Lions podcasts. It's quite simple, you can't draft a prospect from the VFL or SANFL if they're not willing to uproot their life to move north.
I don't see Eagles and Fremantle Fan helping each other out nor Port vd Adelaide or sydney VS GWS, what make you a Brisbane poster coming in here want to help out GCS. Who care what noble said he is with Brisbane not GCS. He don't draft or trade players for GCS. Everything Noble did is for Brisbane benefits not GCS.

Last edited:

Currently retention is the number one issue with appalling injury list and health management a close second. ...and then there's our choice of draft targets during mid season. I believe Richmond showed us how to play the market - they clearly chose Marlion Pickett (broken thumb and all) NOT for this year but for 2020. The Suns could have done the same thing with Pick 2 and got themselves a ready made wrecking ball for next year - this year's done and dusted anyway. But we again pick a young kid who hasn't even played a game yet in the NEAFL? The retention issue really worries me: If we don't sign King, Luko and Rankine within the next couple of months or so, we will be drifting towards that old scenario - "I won't be making a decision until the end of the season (2020) and see how I'm going and the club etc". Toss in uncertainty about Martin, Brodie, Ah Chee, Day and I'm sure a few more then we have an issue that the club is not talking about. There needs to be some transparency regarding contract extensions or issues - we deserve at least some carrot of information. I'm also reliably told that Leslie wanted out last year but was persuaded to stay as a rookie insurance for another year. Probably no big loss but it's an indication of a much bigger problem. Rischa will retire and there will be a culling of players at NEAFL level as well. If the worse happens, we again see a mass migration from the club and back to rebuild 301! We must beat STK this week and at least one more to end up with 5 to give even a glimmer of hope to players and what supporters will be left with another 17 or 18 ladder finish. Get the three future champs locked in as a priority and then add some age and talent, experience to the mix. We have enough young kids who are 'showing improvement'.
You do see the conflict in your own posting right?

I can't see Eagles and Fremantle Fan helping each other out nor Port vd Adelaide or sydney VS GWS, what make you a Brisbane poster coming in here want to help out GCS. Who care what noble said he is with Brisbane not GCS.
I'm on a discussion board talking to other fans. I'm not talking to Suns management on how to run their team.

And you're totally missing the points of my posts.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I disagree with a lot of your posts because they often do not include all the information, or take in the big picture.

I'm on a discussion board talking to other fans. I'm not talking to Suns management on how to run their team.

And you're totally missing the points of my posts.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I disagree with a lot of your posts because they often do not include all the information, or take in the big picture.
Then don't reply to my post. I just point out you coming here not for discussion, but always tell GCS fan how great Brisbane is - especially after a loss to Carlton. GCS fan don't want you to tell how crap the team is, they knew about it. How is using pick 80 for academy players like Graham better than drafting tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Noah answeth, using second and third Rd pick.

Last edited:
Then don't reply to my post. I just point out you coming here not for discussion, but always tell GCS fan how great Brisbane is - especially after a loss to Carlton. GCS fan don't want you to tell how crap the team is, they knew about it. How is using pick 80 for academy players like Graham better than drafting tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Noah answeth, using second and third Rd pick.
Yeah, except I haven't mentioned how great Brisbane in this discussion. Or many discussions for that matter. But you'll often mention it anyway.

I might refer to something Brisbane related in discussions, but it's not referring how great we are.

In this most recent discussion you introduced the Gold Coast and Brisbane pick swaps, then incorrectly said we drafted 4 of our draftees with those picks. I mentioned that was incorrect.

Otherwise I have tried explaining to you why GC might not have picked up a mature age prospect with their mid season pick.

It's quite simple why your NEAFL is being smashed, other GC posters have mentioned why, but you keep referring back to the NEAFL teams weakness like one or two mature age draftees would have made a difference.

Good player
29 years old
Very injury prone last few years
18,13,0 games last 3 years

If we could get 18 games a year out of him, that would be a win.

Yeah - brings something we need.
I reckon it is a Pearce Hanley but another year later than that type of move.
Depends on the cost though.

Rather Brad Hill!

Yeah - brings something we need.
I reckon it is a Pearce Hanley but another year later than that type of move.
Depends on the cost though.

Rather Brad Hill!
Free agent, would only give up cap space, which we reportedly have a bunch of.

Outside run with experience would happily take him on. Could be a good mentor to Powell as an aspiring wingman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agent, would only give up cap space, which we reportedly have a bunch of.

Outside run with experience would happily take him on. Could be a good mentor to Powell as an aspiring wingman.

There is an opportunity cost to giving our cap space to someone unless they contribute.
Not against the move. Would definitely add some class and run.
Needs to play games though!
I'd be more ok with a higher value but shorter contract i.e. 650k for 2 years than 500k over 3 for instance.

There is an opportunity cost to giving our cap space to someone unless they contribute.
Not against the move. Would definitely add some class and run.
Needs to play games though!
I'd be more ok with a higher value but shorter contract i.e. 650k for 2 years than 500k over 3 for instance.
Yeah I would want to see him play out the season and get a good medical going over before we committed anything.

At his age 29yo it doesn't matter if he's free. He has to get on the park.
He's in his 11th season and only 2 of those has he played every game...2009 and 2011......8yrs ago.

In the last 2 1/2 seasons, 2017-18-19 he's managed 31 games out of 55.....meaning he's missed a full season there. Our injury record isn't the best. I know he has plenty of experience but I really don't think we need an injury prone 29yo taking up a list spot, even if he is free.

I'd much prefer someone like 27yo Hugh Greenwood (a Tassie boy) from the Crows, who I believe is out of contract and on the edge of best 22. He's 191cm 92kgs inside mid who can go forward take a contested mark and kick goals and played every game last season but seems to be on the edge of best 22 this year....he might be looking for greener pastures.

He is not totally free GC2015
Giving him salary comes at an opportunity cost - ie. the inability to give it to someone else.

It's fine if he plays 20 games a season for a couple of years.
But if we give it to him, it means we give up the opportunity to spend that cap on other players - that may work out better - Jordan Cunico or Tom PHiliips or Brandon Ellis (just random examples of other outside mids)

At his age 29yo it doesn't matter if he's free. He has to get on the park.
He's in his 11th season and only 2 of those has he played every game...2009 and 2011......8yrs ago.

In the last 2 1/2 seasons, 2017-18-19 he's managed 31 games out of 55.....meaning he's missed a full season there. Our injury record isn't the best. I know he has plenty of experience but I really don't think we need an injury prone 29yo taking up a list spot, even if he is free.

I'd much prefer someone like 27yo Hugh Greenwood (a Tassie boy) from the Crows, who I believe is out of contract and on the edge of best 22. He's 191cm 92kgs inside mid who can go forward take a contested mark and kick goals and played every game last season but seems to be on the edge of best 22 this year....he might be looking for greener pastures.
The difference is though, Greenwood requires a trade, Hill doesn't, also we already have a bunch of inside mids and no outside class.

However, this isnt going to happen anyway, so no use worrying too much over it.

Don't really mind Hill if that is part of the plan to get Langdon and Blakely to come over . Sam Day and possibly Brodie are gone if report from here are true that Dew dislike Brodie . Martin is another player that earn at least more than 400K a year that look like going. i am more interested in getting deal done especially now that Langdon, Blakely,Nyhuis and Hill are all out of contract . Maybe it is Part of the plan to hike their price up in order to get somebody decent here . If you are too picky on injuries nobody will come . Habrow and Hanley are not getting any younger either .

*Dont know it will happen or not but definitely tighten other team salary cap for them to get 2020 free agent or able to offer better to retained their own players to extend their contract .

Last edited:
You do see the conflict in your own posting right?
No conflict at all. I believe it would have been smarter to have drafted Pickett (broken thumb and all), sit the year out with maybe a couple of games at the end if he's fit and set up for 2020 rather than draft yet another kid who will almost certainly play out the year in NEAFL and no guarantee to make the big boys team in 2020.

The difference is though, Greenwood requires a trade, Hill doesn't, also we already have a bunch of inside mids and no outside class.

However, this isnt going to happen anyway, so no use worrying too much over it.
I think we have more genuine outside mids than inside. Swallow and Brodie are insiders but the rest (Miller, Bowes, Fiorini etc) are not bulls and never will be - Bowes excepted if he gets bigger. Greenwood vs Hill - I'll take Greenwood but he's a fringe player for the Crows. We need two very good and very strong inside champions to get enough of the ball in the centre. Trade period will be interesting and assumes of course we keep the unsigned new kids from this year.

What do we do with Pearce Hanley
Contracted to 2019
Seems like a decent fellow but no amount of spin can hide the fact he's been a bust for us
Malceski Mk2- given Nick did manage 34 games in his 2 seasons
Brisbane hasn't missed him one little bit
Has averaged less than 8 games a season with us
31yo this year
Maybe rookie list if lucky
Would not surprise to see him hang'em up tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back