briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
GC should pick at least two of their own academy kids this year . Who do rate of this years GC draft crop
Ok, we'll see if I have time to get this all down.

Sorry, it's long, and looks at more than just the question asked. I love talking draft, and list management and strategy. It's why I comment here, that and I prefer to watch a fellow QLD team and follow there progress, than a team from another State.

Finally, and this was a point first made by a GWS poster. The Northern teams shouldn't prioritise our own academy kids in the National Draft, unless the are best available at that pick, or it's close and much of a muchness. At the end of the day, we can sign the academy kids on as U19 academy kids and put an extra year of development in to them, before having to make a decision on them.

Can some one do a quick run down of what they believe Gold Coast might do at the end of the season in terms or de-listing, upgrading rookies, moving a player from the señor list to the rookie list to open up a senior list spot. And possible trade requests (Jack Martin is the obvious one from discussions here)

One thing to keep a note on, is if the Suns plan on keeping Sam Fletcher and Mitch Riordan. Both players will need to be re-rookied at the end of the season if the Suns plan on keeping them. So that's 2 Cat A rookie spots tied up.

Also, why only 39 players on the Senior list? Do you have a Cat B rookie playing senior football?

So, how many picks you take to the draft obviously depends on how many players are de-listed and traded out, and how many players are traded in. Do the Suns decide to place an equal emphasis on the draft and trade period. Or will they prioritise one over the other.

At this stage the Suns have 4 picks in the national draft worth points, and typically that's what I look at when we don't know how many lists spots are going to be available at the draft.

So, if I'm the Suns;

I'm hoping a bid comes in after pick 35 for Budarick. Gold Coasts current pick 49 is good enough to match a bid at pick 37. Seeing that pick is tied to Richmond, there is some variance as to it's likely finishing position. Any where from pick 45 to pick 54.

I'm taking Rowell at pick 1. You need a kid who can step in and contribute right away.

If you keep the Lions pick, Unless Will Gould slides to that pick, I'm taking the kid who projects to have the highest potential and upside, not a kid who is ready to play now. I'm going to stress, this is not a great draft for mids. If he's HFF who might develop in to a winger down the track, the great. If he's a HBF who might develop in to a mid, awesome. Best Talent Available.

Schoenberg and Robertson can potentially play from early on in the season, but the only thing they have over Brodie is their running capacity, and neither is the tall inside bull Brodie is. You've also drafted a short inside mid with your first pick, I'm not inclined to draft a lesser version of the same with my next first round pick.

If you trade the Lions pick, I'd be inclined to want to get a pick back around the pick 25 mark. If you're going to prioritise mids, I'd strongly consider Cooper Stephens from Geelong Falcons. He's a tall, inside contested mid who was regarded as a late first round talent at the beginning of the year, but broke his leg early in the NAB League season.

Finally pick 73. You can match a bid from pick 55 and back. So if the Suns want to prioritise an academy kid, and another team bids on him, you can match.

One thing to keep in mind, if a kid slides that the recruiting staff really likes, they can trade a future pick for him, only if the team has a first round pick. Doesn't have to be your own first round pick. You can trade that out, as long as you trade in another first round pick.

In which case, you pick up your academy kids in the rookie draft, if you have any spots for them.

Lastly, it's interesting looking at Draft Centrals rankings of the kids that performed at the championships. Of the Gold Coast kids, it goes:
Budarick
Crossley
Oea
Gore

GenYBlue

Seeking #17
May 31, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Well no.. didn't say that, or that Silvangis' been horrible.
The *idea* getting players for less than they should be valued? That's anyone evers strategy.
They are a testament to Carltons mediocrity for sure. The players you didn't selectively mention are another reason that what Carlton have been doing has fu** all to do with Gold Coasts path from here.
You certainly implied it.

It's either that or you were being unnecessarily condescending.

No need to get angry about it regardless, we want the same thing at the end of the day.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rankine not to talkative in the Vid.
Expected more to be honest
I know it’s a little thing but I thought it was a Very poor choice by the club getting him to announce to the players that he’s re-signs like that.
Why not do it out on the track before/after training so the boys could get around him more

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know it’s a little thing but I thought it was a Very poor choice by the club getting him to announce to the players that he’s re-signs like that.
Why not do it out on the track before/after training so the boys could get around him more
Couldn't disagree more. It's been a bloody tough week (and that's just for the fans) hearing this is awesome imagine the excitement running out on the track after hearing from a guy who hasn't played yet that he's recommitted and is loving his time as well as the words from Wittsy. I'm sure they will be getting around him over the next few days.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Going off what we thought that rankine had already committed and we were trying to secure another signature or two before publically announcing it. He’s probably told the playing group privately already.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Going off what we thought that rankine had already committed and we were trying to secure another signature or two before publically announcing it. He’s probably told the playing group privately already.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Based on the reaction that sounds about right - it looks as if it was stage managed for the benefit of the social media department

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok, we'll see if I have time to get this all down.

Sorry, it's long, and looks at more than just the question asked. I love talking draft, and list management and strategy. It's why I comment here, that and I prefer to watch a fellow QLD team and follow there progress, than a team from another State.

Finally, and this was a point first made by a GWS poster. The Northern teams shouldn't prioritise our own academy kids in the National Draft, unless the are best available at that pick, or it's close and much of a muchness. At the end of the day, we can sign the academy kids on as U19 academy kids and put an extra year of development in to them, before having to make a decision on them.

Can some one do a quick run down of what they believe Gold Coast might do at the end of the season in terms or de-listing, upgrading rookies, moving a player from the señor list to the rookie list to open up a senior list spot. And possible trade requests (Jack Martin is the obvious one from discussions here)

One thing to keep a note on, is if the Suns plan on keeping Sam Fletcher and Mitch Riordan. Both players will need to be re-rookied at the end of the season if the Suns plan on keeping them. So that's 2 Cat A rookie spots tied up.

Also, why only 39 players on the Senior list? Do you have a Cat B rookie playing senior football?

So, how many picks you take to the draft obviously depends on how many players are de-listed and traded out, and how many players are traded in. Do the Suns decide to place an equal emphasis on the draft and trade period. Or will they prioritise one over the other.

At this stage the Suns have 4 picks in the national draft worth points, and typically that's what I look at when we don't know how many lists spots are going to be available at the draft.

So, if I'm the Suns;

I'm hoping a bid comes in after pick 35 for Budarick. Gold Coasts current pick 49 is good enough to match a bid at pick 37. Seeing that pick is tied to Richmond, there is some variance as to it's likely finishing position. Any where from pick 45 to pick 54.

I'm taking Rowell at pick 1. You need a kid who can step in and contribute right away.

If you keep the Lions pick, Unless Will Gould slides to that pick, I'm taking the kid who projects to have the highest potential and upside, not a kid who is ready to play now. I'm going to stress, this is not a great draft for mids. If he's HFF who might develop in to a winger down the track, the great. If he's a HBF who might develop in to a mid, awesome. Best Talent Available.

Schoenberg and Robertson can potentially play from early on in the season, but the only thing they have over Brodie is their running capacity, and neither is the tall inside bull Brodie is. You've also drafted a short inside mid with your first pick, I'm not inclined to draft a lesser version of the same with my next first round pick.

If you trade the Lions pick, I'd be inclined to want to get a pick back around the pick 25 mark. If you're going to prioritise mids, I'd strongly consider Cooper Stephens from Geelong Falcons. He's a tall, inside contested mid who was regarded as a late first round talent at the beginning of the year, but broke his leg early in the NAB League season.

Finally pick 73. You can match a bid from pick 55 and back. So if the Suns want to prioritise an academy kid, and another team bids on him, you can match.

One thing to keep in mind, if a kid slides that the recruiting staff really likes, they can trade a future pick for him, only if the team has a first round pick. Doesn't have to be your own first round pick. You can trade that out, as long as you trade in another first round pick.

In which case, you pick up your academy kids in the rookie draft, if you have any spots for them.

Lastly, it's interesting looking at Draft Centrals rankings of the kids that performed at the championships. Of the Gold Coast kids, it goes:
Budarick
Crossley
Oea
Gore

Thanks for doing that...always good to see any team supporter's perspective on where we're going. Lot of thought gone into it so appreciate the effort.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Actually thought Dawson was a good chance to play this week.

The Rischa promotion surprised me, maybe a home farewell game?

Or do we think he will stay in for the rest of the season all being well?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can't find an article for it but Dawson has been upgraded to the senior list.
Collins was put on the LTI list allowing Dawson to be upgraded
Is Dawson a Cat B rookie?

Actually thought Dawson was a good chance to play this week.

The Rischa promotion surprised me, maybe a home farewell game?

Or do we think he will stay in for the rest of the season all being well?
If Rischa is a Cat A rookie, they no longer need to be promoted. All Cat A rookies can automatically be selected for the senior team to play AFL without needing to be upgraded. This changed when the latest CBA agreement came in to effect in 2017.

If you just mean selected in the first team, ignore my post.

GCStormie

Team Captain
Aug 29, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
WCE, Renault F1, Scorchers

If Rischa is a Cat A rookie, they no longer need to be promoted. All Cat A rookies can automatically be selected for the senior team to play AFL without needing to be upgraded. This changed when the latest CBA agreement came in to effect in 2017.

Yes Dawson is Cat B.
you misinterpret 'promotion' i imagine. he meant promotion from NEAFL to AFL, not Promotion from rookie list.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast

To clarify i was just pulling this from today's presser, someone asked dew about it being a good reward for that's he's been promoted. It was a bit random so i assumed it was news that he's on the senior list.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Feel a bit better about the future after hearing Craig Cameron speak on the club website podcast. Mids the main subject on the agenda this trade / draft period, more speed in the middle and forward, more mature bodies, players from other clubs at least interested in talking to us, and re-signings to be announced in the coming weeks.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Really happy that GC asked for Priority pick, the flexibility of trading Brisbane first round pick and next year second Rd pick for multiple second/ third Rd pick for Sydney Josh Kennedy and out of contract players are much easier.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
I thought Cameron sounded surprisingly confident of signing King and Lukosius.

Great to hear that there are some higher calibre players interested in coming here. He said hes getting interest from players he thought we would have no chance of getting.

Last edited:

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Really happy that GC asked for Priority pick, the flexibility of trading Brisbane first round pick and next year second Rd pick for multiple second/ third Rd pick for Sydney Josh Kennedy and out of contract players are much easier.

Kennedy is 10 games away from being washed - no thanks

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Kennedy is 10 games away from being washed - no thanks
Stop gap players if Briabane pick is 16 I don't mind getting Kennedy and Sydney second round pick around 22. Then use pick 22 to get greenwood or Blakely.( still depend if they want to come).

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Still 2 years in front of Rischa at least.

So was Malceski and the end came real quick.

The only reason he would come here is if we made an obscene offer and I don't think the club is stupid enough to do it.

Once he can't get around in the guts he has no secondary position and is then useless. At least someone like Hodge could add value off half back.

Back