List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely love Eddy but wow, more superannuation payments
Not against the idea of surrounding kids with quality people. I realise his best days are behind him however he will bring a lot to the club if he comes not just as a player.

Eddie has friends up here, but it's a tough sell to uproot his entire family that are quite settled.

Doubtless he would be fantastic for the culture and what Dew is trying to build though.

I suspect that Eddie is probably part of a greater trade that could well involve Luko going back to SA.

Eddie has friends up here, but it's a tough sell to uproot his entire family that are quite settled.

Doubtless he would be fantastic for the culture and what Dew is trying to build though.

I suspect that Eddie is probably part of a greater trade that could well involve Luko going back to SA.
Brad Crouch and Eddy for Luko is a good deal BUT I still live in hope he might stay on. I just realised I've never heard Luko speak - so hard to gauge whether he's happy or not. His girlfriend seems to like it from her Insta posts etc so fingers crossed.

Brad Crouch and Eddy for Luko is a good deal BUT I still live in hope he might stay on. I just realised I've never heard Luko speak - so hard to gauge whether he's happy or not. His girlfriend seems to like it from her Insta posts etc so fingers crossed.

Any deal for Betts would be for late draft picks. He is still a gun but I’m sure the crows fans would be wanting something for nothing

Think we should shape the GC as the premium club for indigenous talent - proper support program and play in our indigenous guernseys all year round

Eddie as the head of that would be a super start

Betts is cooked.

He’s very good mates with Charlie Cameron and Mitch Robinson. To the point they all went on holidays together last off season.

I don’t believe a move to QLD would that hard on his family.

Everyone acts like footballers are a special kind of soft when it comes to moving for work.

They’re much better remunerated than many other families who move because of work opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it'd be a great thing for the Suns to get some star power in, even if they're washed up. Gives the club an identity and marketing appeal, to change the narrative beyond "Gold Coast are a failure, move them to Tasmania". Sort of like what Warwick Capper did for the Bears (yes he was younger, but still). Betts would be a great addition, so would Buddy if the Suns can get some sort of cap concession from AFL HQ. Plus Buddy can teach King and Luko the same way Betts can teach Rankine.

I don't know, he has kicked 36 goals this year. That is an alright result for him. I reckon he defiantly has another year left.

However, I am slightly worried that we are currently not being strongly linked with any midfielders, which is our biggest hole in the list.

I think it'd be a great thing for the Suns to get some star power in, even if they're washed up. Gives the club an identity and marketing appeal, to change the narrative beyond "Gold Coast are a failure, move them to Tasmania". Sort of like what Warwick Capper did for the Bears (yes he was younger, but still). Betts would be a great addition, so would Buddy if the Suns can get some sort of cap concession from AFL HQ. Plus Buddy can teach King and Luko the same way Betts can teach Rankine.
Buddy can probably teach them the best places to get coke on the coast too...

Still would love to watch them run around all weekend

I don't know, he has kicked 36 goals this year. That is an alright result for him. I reckon he defiantly has another year left.

However, I am slightly worried that we are currently not being strongly linked with any midfielders, which is our biggest hole in the list.
Betts can sniff a goal, but he doesn’t chase or harass when the opposition has the ball any more.

You would be playing a man down on defence from your forward 50, and the opposition will continue to kick goals on the rebound.

Where are we going to fit all these mids? Bowes, Brodie, Swallow, Macpherson, Miles, Miller, Rowell, Anderson ect. We only just got Brodie a regular role in the midfield and GHS and Murdoch can't get a game. Flanks and Small forwards are the roles for those older players.

Where are we going to fit all these mids? Bowes, Brodie, Swallow, Macpherson, Miles, Miller, Rowell, Anderson ect. We only just got Brodie a regular role in the midfield and GHS and Murdoch can't get a game. Flanks and Small forwards are the roles for those older players.
Honestly, I reckon you need about 10 to rotate through there. Looking at some that have been in our first 22.

Bowes
Fiorini
Swallow
Brodie
Miller
Miles
Rowell

They are your pure mids, who can maybe play a bit somewhere else (Swallow - Forward, Bowes - HB etc).

Then you have the likes of:

Ainsworth
Holman
Martin
Lemmens
Macpherson
Anderson (Maybe)

Who can go through the middle as well when needed, but can play predominantly somewhere else as well.

I have named 13 and if you are being honest, Martin probably leaves so there is automatically a space opened up in our rotations. Also, l would be hoping we can find upgrades for Macpherson, Holman and Miles at some point, we would want to replace these type of players with genuine top 22 AFL players, I.E like a McLean from the Doggies as an example. Whether we can find that, I don't know. But we should be looking to improve our weakest part of the field IMO.

Who misses out on a spot is not the issue. Whether Betts, or anyone else for that matter, is the right fit for us, is the issue.
If we're going to concern ourselves with who misses out, then we might as well not bring anyone in, and just stay as we are, sitting at the bottom of the table.
lol we’re having the same discussion issue on our board. Some posters on our board, “well who drops out of our best 22 if so and so is traded in?”.

Honestly, I reckon you need about 10 to rotate through there. Looking at some that have been in our first 22.

Bowes
Fiorini
Swallow
Brodie
Miller
Miles
Rowell

They are your pure mids, who can maybe play a bit somewhere else (Swallow - Forward, Bowes - HB etc).

Then you have the likes of:

Ainsworth
Holman
Martin
Lemmens
Macpherson
Anderson (Maybe)

Who can go through the middle as well when needed, but can play predominantly somewhere else as well.

I have named 13 and if you are being honest, Martin probably leaves so there is automatically a space opened up in our rotations. Also, l would be hoping we can find upgrades for Macpherson, Holman and Miles at some point, we would want to replace these type of players with genuine top 22 AFL players, I.E like a McLean from the Doggies as an example. Whether we can find that, I don't know. But we should be looking to improve our weakest part of the field IMO.
It's just important we develop players in the midfield who are pure mids. Brodie is a great example of that. Unless a Lachie Neale type is gettable we shouldn't be picking up older players for that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back