List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

The player currently on Gold Coast's list in most demand is out-of-contract star Jack Martin, and Dew says he's comfortable with negotiations being put off until season's end.
"Both parties have left it until the end of the year for further discussion," he said.
Dew denied Martin's contract status had any bearing on his decision to drop the 24-year-old back to the NEAFL last week.

I saw that Goodwin has weighed in RE priority pick being archaic.

That would sound good except they have already received priority picks in the past and shouting down a team who is going worse than what we ever did.
The Crows recruiting manager also had a bit of a whinge making out like it would drastically affect all the work they and a lot of clubs had done previously, deter and diminish future trading etc.
FFS they move back one place in the draft in a draft where it’s been said a player at pick 5 could slide to 15 and vice versa. Won’t make any difference.

The Crows recruiting manager also had a bit of a whinge making out like it would drastically affect all the work they and a lot of clubs had done previously, deter and diminish future trading etc.
FFS they move back one place in the draft in a draft where it’s been said a player at pick 5 could slide to 15 and vice versa. Won’t make any difference.
Yeah he even used the example of second round picks sliding back one place - give me a break Ogilvie.

I could understand it would piss other clubs off - but that was a pretty weak analysis.

Do they even understand what the concept behind the priority pick is?

Delusion is a tall order indeed.
Purely self-interest. There is absolutely no guarantee that the player picked at pick 2 for example will be any better than the next 10 picks. I bet the Eagles were spewing in 2001 when St. Kilda got a priority pick at #2 and picked Luke Ball, with their pick pushed back to #3 (actually another PP) and they were left with Chris Judd.

I saw that Goodwin has weighed in RE priority pick being archaic.

That would sound good except they have already received priority picks in the past and shouting down a team who is going worse than what we ever did.
...& that GCS is still in the establishment stage as a club. We're not a club like Melbourne or Essendon that was established well before the VFL came into existence, let alone the AFL. A Priority Pick for us is not about equalisation or rewarding poor performance, it is about helping set up a club in its infancy.

Purely self-interest. There is absolutely no guarantee that the player picked at pick 2 for example will be any better than the next 10 picks. I bet the Eagles were spewing in 2001 when St. Kilda got a priority pick at #2 and picked Luke Ball, with their pick pushed back to #3 (actually another PP) and they were left with Chris Judd.
Yeah you've got a good grasp on things there.

For example we drafted Cripps at Pick #13
Reckon that's already a massive steal in hindsight

Recruiting + development, are much more important than simply having priority picks, it's just if your recruiters are good at identifying talent they can naturally have a greater impact on the overall quality of the list through those extra picks.

Definitely exceedingly cheeky for other clubs to make statements like that.
Not surprised that it's Adelaide though.
I remember when Port were the perennial laughing stock of SA.
No longer :)

How’s Simon Goodwins form! Absolute Farhkwit! Don’t deflect from the fact you were playing finals last year and now your second from the bottom and don’t wine that priority picks don’t work when Brisbane was bottom of the ladder 2 years ago, received a PP and are now in contention for top of the ladder!! Here is Simon FARKWIT Goodwins thinking for how to fix a struggling club.

“ I don’t think draft picks at the top end are necessarily the fix for everything. And there's other ways we can incentivise clubs to improve, whether that be middle-of-the-range [picks] through the draft or other avenues”.

So you mean to tell me, a top pick won’t help, but a midway through pick will be better.... Total dipstick!

Most self serving, spoilt brat statement I’ve read all week. What a tossss!

How’s Simon Goodwins form! Absolute Farhkwit! Don’t deflect from the fact you were playing finals last year and now your second from the bottom and don’t wine that priority picks don’t work when Brisbane was bottom of the ladder 2 years ago, received a PP and are now in contention for top of the ladder!! Here is Simon FARKWIT Goodwins thinking for how to fix a struggling club.

“ I don’t think draft picks at the top end are necessarily the fix for everything. And there's other ways we can incentivise clubs to improve, whether that be middle-of-the-range [picks] through the draft or other avenues”.

So you mean to tell me, a top pick won’t help, but a midway through pick will be better.... Total dipstick!

Hahaha this is brilliant, couldn’t of written it better myself :tearsofjoy:

Sounds about as good as his press conferences.

He points to tainting future pick trading but the demons don't have a future pick this year so what is he on about.

The fact that he gambled on footy while he was playing gives a fair idea about his IQ.

I would have more respect for him if he was just honest and said it he didn't want us to get a PP for his own self interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about as good as his press conferences.

He points to tainting future pick trading but the demons don't have a future pick this year so what is he on about.

He is an idiot anyway because you don’t know where the team you’re trading the futur pick with is going to finish like his rubbish team finals last year bottom of the ladder this year

I’d say both Jack Martin and the club have agreed to part ways.
Kinda hoping he stays, but I feel it’s the last of the deadwood to be drifted down stream. I’d say we hit the full rebuild button last season, this season we tested the moving parts so to speak.
The core group of players have bought into the model we have established.
We’re up to 14 signatures now in the youngest team of the competition.
As we can see, we are seeking an experienced moulded player or two to groom these elite lads. We know from round 1-6 we can take it to the competition and I think 2020 is going to be an epic year with Rigby smashing their frames in the off season and strengthening and conditioning them.
Bring in a few more guns and I think we are aiming for a stab around 2022-2023. If we do bring in some guns that we don’t or are not aware of, I think we can speed this number up. I don’t think the AFL will waver this time around with our assistance package. It’s make or break for our team and the game in this part of the world and I imagine from a business perspective, that either you do it and you do it right or you tip your cash in the bin, which they financially wouldn’t be stupid enough to do which i think is why Gill spoke out against Coniglio in the week, he doesn’t want another exodus from his other startup club (it’s his attempt, with limited power, but media advantage to put out a spot fire). The AFL have to be seen as fair and reasonable for all teams and pick their time slots for assistance.
If you think about it, all the coaches in nappies that are having a farking cry are all the coaches that are shitting their pants because they have had a s**t year and are petrified of their future at their club, what better way to try and deflect the hostility and attention of the fans and media.
We see through you dipshiiiits!
*Tips his hat.

McPherson is a bull terrier and one of our shining lights.. he is best 22 in my opinion at many other clubs why would we be looking to upgrade him?
He might be best 22 at the moment but if and when we actually build a squad that can win more than lose, I think he'll either move to forward line or out all together so don't disagree with the original poster.

Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Pending Update
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Restricted Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Restricted Free Agent

These are our unsigned players according to Footywire, a few interesting names there that could be moved on and kept.

Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Pending Update
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Restricted Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Non-Free Agent
Restricted Free Agent

These are our unsigned players according to Footywire, a few interesting names there that could be moved on and kept.
No official info on GHS, Ellis, Miles, Collins, Hombsh. I expect just guess by Footywire.

I remember reading Collins was on 2 years a while back when we signed them up.

You are right though on GHS, Ellis, Miles & Hombsch. IF it was true though, a lot of decisions to make at the end of the year.

Will find out in 2 weeks time I suppose.

There could be a strong Hawthorn flavour at Gold Coast next season.

We know the Suns are chasing Jarryd Roughead for an off-field position and Shaun Burgoyne as a general in the back line for 2020.

But what about star wingman Isaac Smith, Paul Puopolo or even Grant Birchall?

I can't see the point in recruiting players we don't think can play at a reasonable level in the 1sts. Birchall & Puopolo don't appeal to me. Burgoyne & Smith do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back