List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lukosius was borderline unplayable at the start of the year as a forward who relies on this Sun's team having to lace him out on the lead. The backline at least gives him a chance to play to his strengths and make a contribution now and get valuable AFL experience.
We do realise that every key big bodied backman we have is out injured don't we. Luko and Graham are playing a couple of years in front of their development and doing well IMO as is Ballard. They are giving away vast amounts of height and weight every week.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
King was recruited as a back and Lukosius as a forward but they both look so much better in reverse. I hope for dear life we can resign these too. I reckon King could kick 50+ goals in a couple of seasons and Lukosius will provide the delivery up too him from the wing or further back

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have a feeling Burgoyne will end up at the Suns. Birchall quite possibly as well.

Dew is keen to add some veteran leaders.
My only reservation with Birchall is the fact he is a chance to spend more time on the physios bench than the field.

If he was guaranteed to be fit and healthy, would be all over that in a heart beat.

My only reservation with Birchall is the fact he is a chance to spend more time on the physios bench than the field.

If he was guaranteed to be fit and healthy, would be all over that in a heart beat.

Look at Lincoln McCarthy. It’s mainly just soft tissue injuries with Birchall. Who’s knows. A change of scenery my be the best thing for him and it could end up working out.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Let’s spend all our cap on Washed up players that are coming for a pension

Burgoyne, Betts, Birchall etc, I’m sure that having guys here just for the $$$ will teach the young guys heaps

In 2 years they will all be gone and so will the young talent that either couldn’t get a game or realise it’s all about the $$$$

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Look at Lincoln McCarthy. It’s mainly just soft tissue injuries with Birchall. Who’s knows. A change of scenery my be the best thing for him and it could end up working out.
The difference being Lincoln does have time on his side, still having a few years left at the peak of his powers.

If Grant was to come up and find himself injured the club would have wasted a couple of hundred thousand on someone to get a rub down for what is left of his career. However, Burgoyne is someone I would be interested in potentially, however, I think I am an outlier with that thinking.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Let’s spend all our cap on Washed up players that are coming for a pension

Burgoyne, Betts, Birchall etc, I’m sure that having guys here just for the $$$ will teach the young guys heaps

In 2 years they will all be gone and so will the young talent that either couldn’t get a game or realise it’s all about the $$$$

Having lived through with passion the Giants, Seagulls, Chargers And Titans in Rugby League I’m firmly in the Iva camp.
Superannuation top up players (and Coaches while we are at it GAGF Rocket) doesn’t work up here and frankly doesn’t put bums on seats.

Gold Coasters want winning teams, we don’t care about star power. We are probably at a point now where we look at old blokes blowing in with cynicism.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If Hawthorn cannot fix Birchall, what hope do we have?
Burgoyne and Betts won’t be as good as they’ve been this year and will only get worse to the point one year might be all they have left.
None of these blokes are midfielders which is our greatest position of need.
Would prefer an Anthony Miles type worker, although more outside.
Look at blokes who aren’t getting a regular game at other clubs due to really strong midfields.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m probably the only one but I’d love betts up here

Great role model for our indigenous talent, will put bums on seats, and is still a genuine threat from anywhere in the fwd 50

I’m pumped if the rumors are true

He won’t put bums on seats.
Only winning games does that on the GC.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You have a point there, but if you're seeking veteran leadership, what reason would veterans have for uprooting their families and moving to Queensland besides money? They're all there at least in part for the money. Hodge has a strong connection with Fagan, but I have no doubt the Lions are paying him a pretty penny too, which helps.

If you want experienced players who are still best 22, preferably midfielders, they're not easy to get. I've suggested JPK and Mundy a couple of times, but unless Dew had a good connection with JPK at Sydney, the club will probably overlook him.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
I suspect we would be going into any discussions with Betts or Burgoyne with eyes wide open.

Burgoyne would be more about training standards and off-field work as on-field.
Eddie would be more about relationships and name recognition and culture than on-field.

That is a bit different to Mal and Hanley who we went after for on-field and which did not work out great given what we paid/gave up. Funnily enough, they seem to have contributed pretty well off-field anyway.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Roughhead - coach - yes.
Burgoyne/Betts - indigenous liaison (I believe we still did not fill the vacancy)/development/academy. Only one of them. If we have to give them 1 year playing contract to bring them over why not.

Some quality outside run, break speed, quality midfielder would not hurt. People mentioned PP, Ellis, Greenwood - I would be happy with them considering our current situation. They would provide depth and would be in the best 25-27 (and replace GHS/Ellis). No chance for A players to come at the moment unless miracle like Neale for Lions happens.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Rankine already has a good relationship with Betts after he spent some time training with the Crows in his draft year. I'm sure it would be fantastic for his development if he had the opportunity to learn from Eddie and even play with him for a year or two. That alone is enough reason to recruit Eddie because we really need to be mindful of creating an environment where our young guys want to stay long-term.

Back