Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Whats Hawthorns story this draft? Are they allowed to trade out of their first rounder under the draft rules?

With Port picking right after them and Hawthorn able to match a bid for Finn McGinness, making at play at their pick might be our best shot at picking up that prized second 1st rounder

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
Whats Hawthorns story this draft? Are they allowed to trade out of their first rounder under the draft rules?

With Port picking right after them and Hawthorn able to match a bid for Finn McGinness, making at play at their pick might be our best shot at picking up that prized second 1st rounder

Think all good now due to the trade they did the other day with North Melbourne

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

They were trying to get a 2nd 1st themselves

lunacy

Premiership Player
Jul 25, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I’d consider trading our 2020 1st rounder to GC for picks 15 & 20 this year. A bit of risk to both parties, but it could secure Day & Gould.

Alternatively a 3 way trade:

Adel get pick 10
Melb get 15 & 20
GC get 1st rd 2020 (crows)

That would give us 6, 10, 22, 23, 37, 45.

6 - Stephens
10 - McAsey/Kemp
22 - Gould
23 - Best available mid/DeKoning (if Kemp)
37 - Schoenberg
45 - Hilder

Or condense the last 3 picks into 2 picks if they strictly only want 5 picks.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Stuff Kern's sense of entitlement re Jackson Mead, if another club rates him mid to late 1st round on their board they have every right to make a play for him,

“The son of Darren Mead should be playing at Port Adelaide,’’ says coach Ken Hinkley

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley is confident rivals won’t hijack the club’s plans to draft highly-touted father-son product Jackson Mead while revealing where the Power’s improvement will come from next season.
After an off-season of wheeling and dealing Port has armed itself with three first-round draft picks (12, 16 and 18) for the second consecutive year and hopes to match a bid for the son of inaugural Power club champion Darren Mead with a series of later selections.
This would enable it to claim the gun Woodville-West Torrens midfielder as its fourth pick, which should give it an outstanding draft haul.
The concern is whether a rival will bid for the powerhouse 18-year-old in the first round, forcing Port to pay a much heavier price to secure him.
But Hinkley said there was an understanding between AFL clubs to show some compassion for father-son picks.
“We think we’ll end up with three players (in the first round) and Jackson outside of those three,’’ Hinkley said.
“There are no guarantees but our recruiters – and the competition recruiters – think Jackson fits somewhere between (picks) 18 and 25.
“It’s a decision that we have to make but what I actually don’t mind about the game still is that I think clubs still respect the father-son stuff.
“They really do try to protect it and the son of Darren Mead should be playing at Port Adelaide.’’

Best Mid for me, look back through the recent premiership teams and they all have elite players running though their midfield.

Richmond had Dylan Grimes and Astbury as their main defenders last year in their flag winning side - Grimes taken in the preseason draft and Astbury was taken in round 3... Their midfield consisted of Martin, Cotchin and Prestia - all top 10 picks.

You can find a descent defender later in the draft, but you would be very lucky to find an elite mid later in the draft.

Especially shut down defenders, which can end up as underrated by drafters.

That said, if you can find a defender who can both shut down, and then transition into an offensive threat, they're worth as much as an elite midfielder. The question is, does McAsey have that ceiling?

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United

That said, if you can find a defender who can both shut down, and then transition into an offensive threat, they're worth as much as an elite midfielder. The question is, does McAsey have that ceiling?
If we want one of those players, Kemp is better than McAsey.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stuff Kern's sense of entitlement re Jackson Mead, if another club rates him mid to late 1st round on their board they have every right to make a play for him,

“The son of Darren Mead should be playing at Port Adelaide,’’ says coach Ken Hinkley
Nice to know Port won't be making a bid on Luke Jackson

Do you think Geelong have heard this - it would be great if they bid at 17 just to give the :thumbsu: to port

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
I’d consider trading our 2020 1st rounder to GC for picks 15 & 20 this year. A bit of risk to both parties, but it could secure Day & Gould.

I'd love to get that pick 20. I can't see GC trading these two picks out, but if they did do this trade, would there be clubs interested in 37 and 45 for a future 2nd rounder?

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
For me, either the most silky midfielder, or best key defender.

Though at 6 you could run the gauntlet on Kemp.

As I have previously stated, from a structural point of view it makes sense to use our first pick on a TALL plus at least one other pick this year.

1) We are highly unlikely to be contending for a the flag for the next three years+.

2) It takes at least three years to develop a Key Forward or Key Defender.

3) We are not getting Lukosius, Cameron or any other quality TALL as a trade.

4) We are likely to pick up two quality mids (Edwards and Borlase) next year plus we are likely to have a top five draft pick in 2020 :rolleyes:.

We currently have three quality inside mids (Sloane, Brouch and Mrouch) but itis questionable if Sloaney will be part of our frontline mids in 3-4 years time. Hopefully Milera and Jones will develop into elite inside mids and we need to play them in the guts next year until it hurts. We also need to determine if Poholke and McHenry can be part of a quality group of inside mids. We can then add the quality mids we pick up in the 2020 draft.

Whilst I shed a tear when we traded THE MIGHTY THOR (and to a lesser extent CEY) every game that would have been played by Greenwood or CEY would have been one less game for our next generation of mids.

My extremely ill-informed money is on McAsey or Jackson, depending how the cards fall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Huh?

There is no question about McAsey prospects.....he's an exceptional Key Defensive prospect, no questions whatsoever.

I wouldn't think Hamish would have traded down from pick 4 with Melbourne set to take Ruckman Jackson if he thought there was a midfielder outside the big 3 Rowell, Anderson and Green that was a clear standout from the rest of the midfield prospects available?

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Huh?

There is no question about McAsey prospects.....he's an exceptional Key Defensive prospect, no questions whatsoever.

I wouldn't think Hamish would have traded down from pick 4 with Melbourne set to take Ruckman Jackson if he thought there was a midfielder outside the big 3 Rowell, Anderson and Green that was a clear standout from the rest of the midfield prospects available?
Is he though ....I like his contested marking as a potential Forward .....he has played forward after all

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Huh?

Hamish said theres only 1 exceptional player in this draft and that Rowell and I agree.
Anderson is closer to the other group of lads than to Rowell.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
As I have previously stated, from a structural point of view it makes sense to use our first pick on a TALL plus at least one other pick this year.

1) We are highly unlikely to be contending for a the flag for the next three years+.

2) It takes at least three years to develop a Key Forward or Key Defender.

3) We are not getting Lukosius, Cameron or any other quality TALL as a trade.

4) We are likely to pick up two quality mids (Edwards and Borlase) next year plus we are likely to have a top five draft pick in 2020 :rolleyes:.

We currently have three quality inside mids (Sloane, Brouch and Mrouch) but itis questionable if Sloaney will be part of our frontline mids in 3-4 years time. Hopefully Milera and Jones will develop into elite inside mids and we need to play them in the guts next year until it hurts. We also need to determine if Poholke and McHenry can be part of a quality group of inside mids. We can then add the quality mids we pick up in the 2020 draft.

Whilst I shed a tear when we traded THE MIGHTY THOR (and to a lesser extent CEY) every game that would have been played by Greenwood or CEY would have been one less game for our next generation of mids.

My extremely ill-informed money is on McAsey or Jackson, depending how the cards fall.
Borlase is a mid?

I haven't seen a lot of him yet but my understanding is he's been playing CHB and CHF mostly for Sturt and PAC?

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Is he though ....I like his contested marking as a potential Forward .....he has played forward after all
Yep think so too, could develop into a perfect compliment for Fogarty honestly, problem is we have a hole at CHB that probably needs to be filled going forward

Getting both McAsey and De Koning as bookends would be a very interesting move, and one that wouldn’t really surprise me

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Huh?

Hamish words were that there was 4 players in a bracket that were even and they would take the one who slid with pick 6
He went on further to say the smaller mids like Serong/Flanders/Robertson have put 2 solid years together while the bigger ones have missed lots of footy with injury that made it difficult and I'm assuming Kemp, C Stephens and others fit in here.

He also said they were waiting for injury reports.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yep think so too, could develop into a perfect compliment for Fogarty honestly, problem is we have a hole at CHB that probably needs to be filled going forward

Getting both McAsey and De Koning as bookends would be a very interesting move, and one that wouldn’t really surprise me
Surely Geelong take 1 of them

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

McAsey has good lateral movement ....would make a great forward, if he's a worker on leading patterns

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Borlase is a mid?

I haven't seen a lot of him yet but my understanding is he's been playing CHB and CHF mostly for Sturt and PAC?
Some have suggested that he will develop into a big arsed midfielder. I can’t find data on his current height. It would be great if he has a big growth spurt and develops into one of the key defender/forwards we need.

Are there any posters who have seen him recently and can provide more reliable information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back