Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then trade out Sloane, Matt and Brad and we can just go exclusively for SA boys regardless of talent šŸ™„
No... they are all highly talented and are local is a bonus
See WCE not afraid to back in the local at the opportunity they are what we need to be in more than just drafting

I reckon weā€™ve made a contingency trade with GWS, as a break glass option in case Melbourne bid on green at 3

If that happens, thereā€™s a deal in place:

22,23 + GWS 1st for pick 4

Only a speculation but it makes sense to me, as a just in case option where both parties win
This is quite genius , please send this to Reid

Who was the last pure key position defender taken in the top 10 who was worth that pick?

Answer: Nick Haynes at #7 in 2011. Before that we have Hurley (#5 2008) and Davis (#10 2008).

That's it in the past 15 years of drafting.

So if you pick a tall in the top 10, it has to be a guy you think can be a key position forward
Mcasey has a bit of swing man Naughton about him , more exposed forward than Naughton was at same age and well performed forward

Just that he was so good back for vic metro that he didnā€™t get the opportunity to play forward at that level

They have extracted significant value out of 2 clubs that had Academy players.
2020 is going to be an absolute fleecing.
WB might live to regret the Keath deal next year.
If next year we finish lower than most clubs with highly promising FSs/NGAs/Academy players (especially WB) and pile up enough picks to cover our own FS/NGAs without having to use our own r1 pick, Hamish could put on the Highway Robber mask and bid on players from all those other clubs - make them all chew up their r1 picks to match and get their players.

This way, the 2020 draft might be very compromised but at least if the reserved players go to their clubs at the earliest pick it's not so bad for everyone else.

Mcasey has a bit of swing man Naughton about him , more exposed forward than Naughton was at same age and well performed forward

Just that he was so good back for vic metro that he didnā€™t get the opportunity to play forward at that level

I'm definitely not against drafting McAsey, I think it'd be a good move.

But he's rocking up to pre-season in the forward group straight away

I'm definitely not against drafting McAsey, I think it'd be a good move.

But he's rocking up to pre-season in the forward group straight away
If we draft McAsey, I thinking he would be tried as a forward. I say this because Ogilvie agrees he can play forward or back, and Nicks has said in interviews that he's really happy with our back six in it's current state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish is my favourite person at the club. Really enjoy listening to him speak. Sounds like a great guy and sounds really switched on. Gives frank answers.

His performance, while not perfect, has to be up there with the top few.

I hope he stays with the club for a long time.
Never pick him as being a former Copper either....quite an imposing figure in real life having had a chat with him at a game here at Mars Stadium in 2016. Plays his cards pretty close to his chest, all I could get out of him was we were looking at drafting mids to replace Thommo who he didn't think was going to front up in 2017 but as we know now Thommo did go on and stunk it up. I was hopeful after that that he would look at drafting local lads Jarrod Berry and Willem Drew who both had great games that day, alas he chose Jordan Gallucci and the mob down the road nabbed Willem Drew before our pick Myles Poholke came up.

There is no way 4 is used to match. If the dees bid, then GWS trade it for a 2020 1st and later 2019 picks to match.
This might be a way for us to get in on the action - don't think #4 can come back to us because of the new rule (pick #4 originally came from us so can't come back to us).

GWS trading #4 for Geelong's #14 & #17 seems a bit of a wash that we could maybe add in something extra as incentive for both so a 3-way trade:
GWS #4 #40 > < #17 #23 #24
Geel #14 #17 #24 > < #4 GWS'20r1
AFC #23 GWS'20r1 > < #14 #40

GWS gets to use 17 & 23 to match a pick 3 bid and upgrade their 40 to 24
Cats get their coveted 4 and GWS' 2020 r1
We upgrade 23 to 14

Ed. Actually, Geelong are getting too much from us there so some tweaking might make it more even.

Last edited:

IMO Josh Worrell is a better prospect if you particularly want a swingman, quicker and more agile....McAsey looks a stand out defender to my eye and personally that's where I hope we develop him if we do draft him.

Pull the trigger at pick 45?
I doubt it but it was clear listening to Hamish he rated the kid on what he'd seen as a 16 year old....I think looking at our pick situation and theirs Geoff Parker has played this real well almost assuring we won't be able to get him unless we pay what would be considered big overs for a kid that's had serious injury issues. He's now theirs in the rookie draft but they have it covered with their late picks in the National Draft should a bid come.

Last edited:
Canā€™t see why Port would do that , they are in a pretty good spot to secure 4 excellent players including Mead

IF GWS are forced to trade their Pick 4 out of this Draft, then:

You have to firstly consider what GWSā€™ needs are, and go from there. If theyā€™re to trade Pick 4 out of the Draft, theyā€™ll want it to go to a club whoā€™s likely to finish bottom 6 next year and trade for that clubs 2020 1st. Then ask that club to throw in a few back end picks..

Who fits the criteria? GC, Crows, Swans, Freo, North?

GC wonā€™t want to give up their 1st as theyā€™re likely to finish bottom.
Swans feasibly could
Crows could
Freo could, with a mutual trade that helps both themselves and GWS
North could

This is why youā€™re seeing a lot of clubs who are anticipating they might finish top 10 who are trying to trade their 2020 1sts into 2019, because those picks are more likely to get chewed up with any of their NGA/FS bids, and who knows how far picks will be pushed back,

Also, teams that are likely to finish bottom 8 in 2020 might be less likely to trade them out because it might give them a selection before bids come in for NGA/FS.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back