Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I'm pretty sure Dangerfield had demonstrated his midfield ability before his U18 season (where he was primarily a defender).

I'm not interested in a half back we think we can turn into a midfielder. I'm only interested in players we know can play there
The only way we will definitely pick a midfielder with our 1st pick will be if Hamish considers a mid the best talent available at that time and currently I would think high class running backs Lachie Ash and Hayden Young along with Athletic Ruck prospect Luke Jackson, small forward/outside mid Liam Henry and Key Position Utility Fischer McAsey would be well in that same discussion with mid/forwards Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders..Edit : And Brodie Kemp would be classed as a tall utility at this time.

Hamish is on record as stating both he and Matt Rendell were convinced to select Brad Crouch in the "special" draft off the back of a Ballarat Rebels game they both attended in Warrnambool where Brad tore the game apart running off half back.

Last edited:

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Pardon the intrusion, but i agree.
You need to get the rules changed further, such as a matched bid having to include a pick within say 18 picks of the bid. So gws would have to match a bid with pick 22 or higher.
Apart from that, I think Adelaide and gws can have a mutually beneficial trade this year. If you don't bid on green but sydney do, how would picks 6,40, gws 2020 second rounder for your 2020 r1, 23,37 this year sound.

That’s essentially GWS 2019 Pick 6, in exchange for a likely top 6 pick from Crows next year, so they cancel each other out.

So our 2019 Pick 23, 37 for GWS’ Pick 40 and something next year around 30-35 mark?

No thanks, but thanks for stopping by!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Players we should target with pick 4:

Inside midfielders with elite disposal. Inside/outside midfielders with line breaking speed. Key position forwards.

Players we shouldn't target:

Any type of defender. Half backs, especially with limited proven inside/midfield ability. Pure outside midfielders. Small or medium forwards unless absolutely elite multiple goal kickers. Rucks. Players with significant injuries.
Mostly agreed, although perhaps there will be zero players available who strictly meet those criteria

The three star inside midfielders will be gone before our pick

Happy with a mainly outside midfielder who competes around the contest but it isn’t their main strength. Zac Williams, Lachie Whitfield types.

Supposedly Lachie Ash often won the ball in defence then went on the attack. Higher contested possession share than normal. Whereas Hayden Young was the more stereotypical receiver. So I would be cautious about Young at pick 4 and OK with Ash. That’s a call for the recruiters who have watched these guys constantly.

Projection is tricky. Connor Rozee looks like being a star midfielder-forward like Heeney and played half back in the SANFL finals.

But totally agree in terms of the capabilities we should be aiming for based on what we need at AFL level

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The only way we will definitely pick a midfielder with our 1st pick will be if Hamish considers a mid the best talent available at that time and currently I would think high class running backs Lachie Ash and Hayden Young along with Athletic Ruck prospect Luke Jackson, small forward/outside mid Liam Henry and Key Position Utility Fischer McAsey would be well in that same discussion with mid/forwards Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders..Edit : And Brodie Kemp would be classed as a tall utility at this time.

Hamish is on record as stating both he and Matt Rendell were convinced to select Brad Crouch in the "special" draft off the back of a Ballarat Rebels game they both attended in Warrnambool where Brad tore the game apart running off half back.
Cmon ....I ask every year for you to put your rankings up ....but you never do

I've done mine ....do yours and we can compare afterwards ....otherwise, you're just floating a 100 possible names again

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mostly agreed, although perhaps there will be zero players available who strictly meet those criteria

The three star inside midfielders will be gone before our pick

Happy with a mainly outside midfielder who competes around the contest but it isn’t their main strength. Zac Williams, Lachie Whitfield types.

Supposedly Lachie Ash often won the ball in defence then went on the attack. Higher contested possession share than normal. Whereas Hayden Young was the more stereotypical receiver. So I would be cautious about Young at pick 4 and OK with Ash. That’s a call for the recruiters who have watched these guys constantly.

Projection is tricky. Connor Rozee looks like being a star midfielder-forward like Heeney and played half back in the SANFL finals.

But totally agree in terms of the capabilities we should be aiming for based on what we need at AFL level

Personally I like Ash because he has a couple of elite POD’s including his run/carry and kicking, is a good size but to me has traits that he could transfer into being a genuine midfielder.

Young appears more pure outside distributor, with an elite kick, but just doesn’t look to me like he candevelop into the midfield.

Flanders has that elite inside game, pure competitor with a lot of Brad Crouch style traits, but to me just burns the footy a lot with dump kicks and lacks much precision here, also I think his forward work is overrated, a bit similar to Poholke in this regard(his midfield play is clearly on another level to Poholke). Looks more a goal kicking mid, rather than a genuine forward. Playing forward at lower levels is different to AFL, at U18 level Flanders you can kick a lot of goals by just being so much better than the others, that won’t be the case at the elite level.

Serong I really like. Looks to be a really clever football who is always thinking. Wins his own footy, very clean disposal by hand/foot and is dual sided and has some forward craft. But is sun 180 and we’ve got a lot of these small midfielder types.

Would be very happy with any of those 4 from what I’ve seen, Ash is the stand out for mine as having a highly valuable (speed and kicking skills) point of difference, with reasonable ability to become a full time mid.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He did a couple days ago.
He had Ash at 3, Rowell at 4 lol
He did mention his rankings were based on future projection too. Rowell won't be the best player from his draft in 4 years time.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Brisbane gave up 13 for Cameron, Richmond used 11 on Rioli didn’t they? Cyril was pick 10 and Betts in hindsight was worth a top 10 pick.

Plus a quality small forward in the modern game is gold. If they think he’s a gun player, I wouldn’t not use a good pick on a player just because he was a small forward.
Very very rare, isn't it. Daniel hasn't really lived up to that ranking despite the occasional flashes of brilliance.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
He did mention his rankings were based on future projection too. Rowell won't be the best player from his draft in 4 years time.
All rankings are based on future projection though, we don't do our rankings based on who is the best player right now only.
That would be silly.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Very very rare, isn't it. Daniel hasn't really lived up to that ranking despite the occasional flashes of brilliance.
Liam Ryan as well. Plus there have been other small forwards who have been guns, Milne for example.

But football has changed. The role of the small forward is not what it once was, it’s a crucial position now. If the player is quality he’s quality, there have also been half back flankers, mids, rucks and key position players who haven’t made it, there are just more of those picked with lower picks.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
But aren't you trying to select players who will be th best player in 4 years ......If GC select Rowell at #1, it's because they do believe this to be the case

IMO clubs too often select players on good U18 draft year form .....somtimes on a 3 month window of form ....often a mistake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Liam Ryan as well. Plus there have been other small forwards who have been guns, Milne for example.

But football has changed. The role of the small forward is not what it once was, it’s a crucial position now. If the player is quality he’s quality, there have also been half back flankers, mids, rucks and key position players who haven’t made it, there are just more of those picked with lower picks.
That's a joke ....always has been important ....was called the 2nd rover role ....many champion players played that role inc Leigh Matthews

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

I agree it's important, but it's also the 1 role on the field that's almost totally reliant on every other team member.

Liam Ryan was taken in the 20s, I'd be more than comfortable selecting Pickett in that range.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's a joke ....always has been important ....was called the 2nd rover role ....many champion players played that role inc Leigh Matthews
Look Wayne, just because you were made to look like a dufus again by calling out Bicks, don’t try and jump into another argument thinking you have one on me.

So manic forward line pressure has always been there? And the fact you had to go back to basically the best player ever to have played the game doesn’t help your argument.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
All rankings are based on future projection though, we don't do our rankings based on who is the best player right now only.
That would be silly.
If that was the case, the #1 pick would be the best player in their draft 90% of the time.

They aren't.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I agree it's important, but it's also the 1 role on the field that's almost totally reliant on every other team member.

Liam Ryan was taken in the 20s, I'd be more than comfortable selecting Pickett in that range.
Liam Ryan also had better exposed form.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Irrelevant as to whether a small forward is worth a decent pick
It's a bigger risk though.

Boyd Woodcock had better form and he went in the 60s. James Rowe has better form too and is a longshot to be drafted.

Daniel Rioli got drafted that high on name alone.

Cyril projected as a midfielder, though rarely played there. Even then he was a huge risk that did pay off.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
If that was the case, the #1 pick would be the best player in their draft 90% of the time.

They aren't.

Youre better than this post HS.

Drafting isn't an exact science, we do our rankings based on who we think will have the best career.
Imo Rowell will have the best career so I have him as my no1.
But no one knows how it will end up...

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a bigger risk though.

Boyd Woodcock had better form and he went in the 60s. James Rowe has better form too and is a longshot to be drafted.

Daniel Rioli got drafted that high on name alone.

Cyril projected as a midfielder, though rarely played there. Even then he was a huge risk that did pay off.
Woodcock doesn’t have the same pace. He also wasn’t invited to the draft

All drafting is a risk, historically other types have been picked and there have been plenty of busts in there too.

The small forward has never been as valuable as it is at the moment

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Cmon ....I ask every year for you to put your rankings up ....but you never do

I've done mine ....do yours and we can compare afterwards ....otherwise, you're just floating a 100 possible names again
Excuse me?

My rankings are there no different to any other draft . I don't generally comment on other people's rankings as opinions can differ widely on individual players. I obviously rate Lachlan Ash slightly higher than others, and believe me it based off plenty of what I've seen up close and live from him the last 2 years....he's a gun!
The only outsiders that have any influence on my thoughts are the AFL Draft Central guys Pete Williams especially who watch more "live" NAB League football than I as they are domiciled more central to where a lot more of the games are played.....however I watch every NAB League game live stream either as it's being played or the freely available replays.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Woodcock doesn’t have the same pace. He also wasn’t invited to the draft

All drafting is a risk, historically other types have been picked and there have been plenty of busts in there too.

The small forward has never been as valuable as it is at the moment
I think Curtis Taylor was invited to the draft last year, went in the 40s. Luke Valente was invited too.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think there's a good chance Rowell is the best player in 4 years. He cops a heap of attention and still dominates. He's not a matt crouch accumulator. He's an accumulator who makes really good decisions almost every time. And he does this in every single game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back