Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
No not too hard someone said take mcstay with first pick as we r in dire need for talls and I stated we won’t take a tall with first pick and that we probably get Luko next year to compliment the fog! Not too hard to interpret I would have thought
Mutineer

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Again, watching more footy than someone else doesn't make you a better judge.
Some people don't need to watch a kid play 100s of times to know how good they'll be.
You only had to watch Dangerfield, Walker & Sloane play the one game .....you're not studying "form" ...you studying player attributes, one touch, and decision making under pressure .....watching that guy play 50 times changes little

That said ....from the 2nd round it's much harder to see those attributes ....because generally the player is no-where near as advanced as the early first round players ......skinny, still growing, not as mature thinking as a Rowell / Anderson

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can someone please decipher the 3 posts above because for the life of me I can't work out their relevance.
Again not too hard adding picket to our list would be awesome that’s all I was implying, now is that to hard to decipher as to relevance of 2019 draft. Sorry if that statement is too hard to grasp. Anyway I would like picket in our forward line to complement our list, that’s all !

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I think Pickett Is the most intriguing player in this draft, seems like clubs will play games to get him.

Obviously someone nominated him top 20, possibly to force another club to take him early?
Pickett is a very smart player .....has a combination of Betts smarts and Camerons athleticism ....just a little inconsistent as you'd expct at this age

I laugh at how he's just come to prominance in the last 30 days .....after supposedly being followed for 2 years

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Pickett is a very smart player .....has a combination of Betts smarts and Camerons athleticism ....just a little inconsistent as you'd expct at this age

I laugh at how he's just come to prominance in the last 30 days .....after supposedly being followed for 2 years

I was criticised heavily in here especially from someone who watches these kids play 100s of times for saying Pickett is a gun kid who should go top 30.

3 days latter, the media caught on, was nominated to go to draft night and now everyones on the bandwagon.
:think:;):)

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Some nice words about Hamish and his crew from Gippsland Power's prospective draftee Brock Smith [medium defender.

Promising young defender Brock Smith says Adelaide has made the biggest impression on him so far

Victorian draft hopeful Brock Smith says he was most impressed after meeting with Adelaide in the lead up to the 2019 AFL National Draft.
Speaking on SEN Breakfast with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson, the 18-year-old Gippsland Power captain said of all the clubs he has met with so far, the Crows stood out most.
He added he’d have no problem making an interstate move should they select him.
“Adelaide, they were very confronting, but very honest with me; so, they made a pretty big impression on me,” Smith said.
“Being from the country, even if I got drafted to a Melbourne club I’d still have to move out of home, so I’m definitely fine with it.”
Smith, at 188cm is a running rebound defender, was unable to participate in the AFL Draft Combine due to glandular fever.
As a Collingwood fan growing up, he models himself on current Pies player Brayden Maynard, along with Richmond’s Dylan Grimes.
He said the 2018 grand finalists have met with him a few times already in the lead up to this year’s draft, which will be held across November 27 and 28.
“They (the Magpies) didn’t show too much, they were very professional the way they went about it, but just having a couple of interviews with them definitely shows they’re interested I guess,” he said.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

It's only the media that has raised his Prominance, Most recriuters would have had there list already worked out with only a few minor changes a while ago.
And the Only reason there may be changes this late in Hamish order, would be if Nicks request a specific type,

Now re Pickett
Is he really a need for the Crows, Generally we Pick the best player with our earlier picks then we pick for needs with our later picks,
He not going to be picked by the Crows with our 1st couple of picks, Therefor Will pick 28 be for needs, like previous years.
And when I say needs he is a small Forward, at this time the Crows have a few Small Forwards.
We need small Forwards like we need halfbacks so unless they are top/elite talent we are better looking taller or going for more run.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
It's only the media that has raised his Prominance, Most recriuters would have had there list already worked out with only a few minor changes a while ago.
And the Only reason there may be changes this late in Hamish order, would be if Nicks request a specific type,

Now re Pickett
Is he really a need for the Crows, Generally we Pick the best player with our earlier picks then we pick for needs with our later picks,
He not going to be picked by the Crows with our 1st couple of picks, Therefor Will pick 28 be for needs, like previous years.
And when I say needs he is a small Forward, at this time the Crows have a few Small Forwards.
We need small Forwards like we need halfbacks so unless they are top/elite talent we are better looking taller or going for more run.
I have seen a bit of him at SANFL and he will make it. He will go in the low 20's. Hope its us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I have seen a bit of him at SANFL and he will make it. He will go in the low 20's. Hope its us.
Yea when he is on he goes OK but I don't like his bad games, and I have seen more of his bad games than good games.
Betts was a hunter trying to find a way to get into the game, I don't see a lot of that in Pickett, Hope I am wrong because his best is very good.
sometime seeing what the kids do and how they react in bad games is more telling.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Betts was a rookie at that age. Plenty of development in this kid.

As I said before I hope he gets picked up by a gun club like West coast or Geelong.
He will be a gun for them immediately.

If he gets picked up by a GC type club I think he may struggle.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

Now re Pickett
Yes I agree .....but my cynicism is aimed at so called BF experts on the Draft & Trading Board, that all of a sudden upgrade a player like Pickett, once he's highlighted in the media

How many posters had Gould as a top 4 prospect 6 weeks ago ...even a top 10 certainty ....so what's changed with these so called experts :D .....I have the same rant every year, so don't mind me

Go back 3 months and everyone had very diff player rankings .....by Draft night, they'll all be in unison

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Yea when he is on he goes OK but I don't like his bad games, and I have seen more of his bad games than good games.
Betts was a hunter trying to find a way to get into the game, I don't see a lot of that in Pickett, Hope I am wrong because his best is very good.
sometime seeing what the kids do and how they react in bad games is more telling.
Think #37 or thereabouts is the right area for Pickett

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Pickett > Betts at the same age.
What are you serious, at age 16 Betts played for the Vic metro team and made all Australian that year for the under 18. he was too young to be drafted, he was overlooked in 2004 due to osteitis pubis which back then was a career ender. He prove he was clear and went a pick 3 in the preseason draft.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Pickett > Betts at the same age.
He may very well be but just as reminder Eddie Betts was named as an All Australian after the 2003 U18 Championships so he was no slouch as a 16 - 17 year old either.

2003 All-Australian Under-18 team

NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly, Nick Potter
Northern Territory: Tom Logan
Queensland: Jake Furfaro
South Australia: Adam Cooney, David Kellett, Brad Symes, Beau Waters, Josh Willoughby
Vic Country: Troy Chaplin, Ryley Dunn, Colin Sylvia, Kane Tenace, Andrew Walker
Victoria Metro: Eddie Betts, Ricky Dyson, Luke Herrington, Brock McLean, Brayden Shaw, Fergus Watts
Western Australia: Kepler Bradley, Farren Ray

Coach: Leon Harris (Vic Country)

Assistant Coach: Rod Carter (NSW/ACT)

As a reference the 2019 AFL U18 All Australian team.

1573272432397.png

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Trade Pick 4 and 23 for 7 and 10 (freo).
Pick 7 - Stephens.
Pick 10 - ?? Kemp? Ash? McAsey?
Pick 28 - Pickett/Taheny
Upgrade Picks 37, 45 and 49 to two picks.

Free Agent Grundy
2020 first for Lukosius
2020 second - Luke Edwards
2020 dogs 2nd - James Borlase
Newchurch, Baldwin I’m not sure if are eligible but look likely prospects.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He may very well be but just as reminder Eddie Betts was named as an All Australian after the 2003 U18 Championships so he was no slouch as a 16 - 17 year old either.

2003 All-Australian Under-18 team

NSW/ACT: Shaun Daly, Nick Potter
Northern Territory: Tom Logan
Queensland: Jake Furfaro
South Australia: Adam Cooney, David Kellett, Brad Symes, Beau Waters, Josh Willoughby
Vic Country: Troy Chaplin, Ryley Dunn, Colin Sylvia, Kane Tenace, Andrew Walker
Victoria Metro: Eddie Betts, Ricky Dyson, Luke Herrington, Brock McLean, Brayden Shaw, Fergus Watts
Western Australia: Kepler Bradley, Farren Ray

Coach: Leon Harris (Vic Country)

Assistant Coach: Rod Carter (NSW/ACT)

As a reference the 2019 AFL U18 All Australian team.

View attachment 776779
Wow, only 3 decent players from that team and one is just beau Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back