Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hearing a few interviews from people at the club it feels like we are still in denial about the state of our list. The continual 'the list is better than people think it is' coming from Hamish and others is just silly talk. Our midfield is still one paced and one way and our rookie draft picks scream safe and low risk low reward where we should be trying to unearth gems. I do like what we did the main draft though.
Other than Matt and Sloane, who else is 'slow' in our midfield?

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

It just makes no sense, even if you say we took beat available it still smells like BS to me. As fans it’s a big let down as well as these guys won’t contribute much if at all next year. We need some good news on the pitch after last year’s poor showing. Only Jones and McHenry will show something I think
I see this as Burtons failure.

I would have expected Burton would have gathered Reid , Ogilvie and the coach and had weekly/monthly meetings on how the team looks going forward , taking into account things like age, contracts and upside ie further development or maintaining output.

Then start this forward planning. That includes the coach phasing players out of the team , introducing others and flat out giving the DCM to a few.

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, East Side, Knights
In the last five rookie drafts we've taken two mature AFL players, two mature SANFL players, a mature VFL player, a mature NEAFL player and two father sons no one was interested in. Those players have played 5 AFL games combined. Terrible return.

The two young players we've taken in five years are Butts and Murphy. It's no surprise to me whatsoever these are the only two who look like good prospects. And one of them we had no choice but to look at as he was in our SANFL side. Murphy already has 30 games and Butts should get an opportunity

We need to be doing more young recruiting through the rookie draft. They've been our most successful picks. Not mature discards.

I would have taken O'Neill in this draft no problemo
Do agree with this, not so much a problem this year IMO especially with a younger, developing list, but guys like Wilson, Beech, Hunter have really not only taken up spots that could have been used to develop younger players in our contending years (when really it’s been very unlikely the mature age guys make an impact), but also have been some of our senior AFL performers, stunting the growth of some of our younger guys by letting them take on less responsibility

Haven’t been massively concerned with it until this point, but now 4 of our 5 rookies are 22 or over, with Mathews likely to make it 5/6. Strange position to put ourselves in, considering our recent success with Laird, Cameron, Murphy, Kelly and ROB

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamish comments about our list being better than others think might be a dig at development, match selection and game plan

Imagine spending the time and effort to see the club not play the kids.

Murphy will never be a Milne, Betts, Rioli and he doesn't need to be. They are the exceptions.

Decent structure will help but youth given responsibility will make a massive difference.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see this as Burtons failure.

I would have expected Burton would have gathered Reid , Ogilvie and the coach and had weekly/monthly meetings on how the team looks going forward , taking into account things like age, contracts and upside ie further development or maintaining output.

Then start this forward planning. That includes the coach phasing players out of the team , introducing others and flat out giving the DCM to a few.
Haven't you seen the massive landscape print of " The future comes one week at a time " blazoned across the hallway at west lakes .
The cleaners even had to dust and polish the glass every week just so the message was not lost .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Haven't you seen the massive landscape print of " The future comes one week at a time " blazoned across the hallway at west lakes .
The cleaners even had to dust and polish the glass every week just so the message was not lost .
I get the feeling the cleaner forgot to dust the '' the future comes'' and all they saw was ''one week at a time''

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do agree with this, not so much a problem this year IMO especially with a younger, developing list, but guys like Wilson, Beech, Hunter have really not only taken up spots that could have been used to develop younger players in our contending years (when really it’s been very unlikely the mature age guys make an impact), but also have been some of our senior AFL performers, stunting the growth of some of our younger guys by letting them take on less responsibility

Haven’t been massively concerned with it until this point, but now 4 of our 5 rookies are 22 or over, with Mathews likely to make it 5/6. Strange position to put ourselves in, considering our recent success with Laird, Cameron, Murphy, Kelly and ROB
Every aspect of the club got way ahead of it self including list management. Arrogance from the top to the bottom and each dept failed in doing the logical stuff. Pride comes before a fall could not have been truer and some humble pie follows.

In saying all that clearing the list and gains in pick swapping is a huge step forward.

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
These 2 mature age recruits aren't veterans they're both 22 and coming into their prime AFL years....these are not Sam Gibson types at all.

And these midfielders with speed that were left on the board at our 2nd and 3rd picks were ?
Realistically both won’t play much for us. I question why in the last 2 years we downgrade pick to lower positions and miss out on players that would help us. I feel Hamish knows who he wants and gets them. I think Hamish is making odd decisions like the last pick when we had better options.

The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

It just makes no sense, even if you say we took beat available it still smells like BS to me. As fans it’s a big let down as well as these guys won’t contribute much if at all next year. We need some good news on the pitch after last year’s poor showing. Only Jones and McHenry will show something I think

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

SuperCrouchBros

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamish comments about our list being better than others think might be a dig at development, match selection and game plan

Imagine spending the time and effort to see the club not play the kids.

Murphy will never be a Milne, Betts, Rioli and he doesn't need to be. They are the exceptions.

Decent structure will help but youth given responsibility will make a massive difference.
Nah I think its more to do with trade period / media when all our veterans were getting pushed out and we would simply fall off a cliff.

I personally think we will just be out the 8 next year. Not bottom 4.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Say what?
Lachlan Gollant has played wing/outside mid in all his Calder Cannons NAB League games, not sure what position he's played for PEGS in the AGSV school footy program but I think it would be similar.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and already 85kg and a sub 3 sec/20m runner

Both Chayce Jones and Will Hamill are sub 3 sec/20m runners and both tested top 10 in the endurance events Hamill in the YO-YO and Jones in the 2km run along with Neddy who was top 10 in both events.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Realistically both won’t play much for us. I question why in the last 2 years we downgrade pick to lower positions and miss out on players that would help us. I feel Hamish knows who he wants and gets them. I think Hamish is making odd decisions like the last pick when we had better options.

You must have missed the draft last year and this year's trade period

Milera, Jones, Smith, McHenry, Gallucci, Brad will all spend a lot of time in the midfield and all are above average speed

Elite Crow

Premium Platinum
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the last five rookie drafts we've taken two mature AFL players, two mature SANFL players, a mature VFL player, a mature NEAFL player and two father sons no one was interested in. Those players have played 5 AFL games combined. Terrible return.

The two young players we've taken in five years are Butts and Murphy. It's no surprise to me whatsoever these are the only two who look like good prospects. And one of them we had no choice but to look at as he was in our SANFL side. Murphy already has 30 games and Butts should get an opportunity

We need to be doing more young recruiting through the rookie draft. They've been our most successful picks. Not mature discards.

I would have taken O'Neill in this draft no problemo
Wow, didn’t realise it was that bad. I wonder why we’ve changed our strategy given our previous success with how we used the rookie draft.

Chase13

Senior List
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Say what?
Lachlan Gollant has played wing/outside mid in all his Calder Cannons NAB League games, not sure what position he's played for PEGS in the AGSV school footy program but I think it would be similar.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and already 85kg and a sub 3 sec/20m runner

Both Chayce Jones and Will Hamill are sub 3 sec/20m runners and both tested top 10 in the endurance events Hamill in the YO-YO and Jones in the 2km run along with Neddy who was top 10 in both events.
We r not recruiters, we don’t no internally what ur plans are and Hamish doesn’t get much wrong. He doesn’t follow media hype or the sheep, he goes out and recruits, we call them Hamish specials but he is just doing his job and does it well. Example doddee who is he and now guess what, what a great selection. So many outlandish comments and we r not recruiters, leave that to the expert Hamish , he has the runs on the board. I personally think it was an awesome haul from the draft, we should be rapt but can never please everyone!

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We r not recruiters, we don’t no internally what ur plans are and Hamish doesn’t get much wrong. He doesn’t follow media hype or the sheep, he goes out and recruits, we call them Hamish specials but he is just doing his job and does it well. Example doddee who is he and now guess what, what a great selection. So many outlandish comments and we r not recruiters, leave that to the expert Hamish , he has the runs on the board. I personally think it was an awesome haul from the draft, we should be rapt but can never please everyone!
And wtf is all that gobbedly gook and why are you quoting me with it.

Kruzering

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2008
Blackburn
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I notice you are discussing Martin, I can shed some light on the contract if you like.

Over the 5 years he will average 600k, that's the same as his last deal at GC.

So after the first two years hell be on like 300k and enable us to add other talent, good management by SOS imo

Nothing like a talented player for free, if only Reid could see the forest from the trees you'd have Mcasey and a free second rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom