Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Question: do we need yet another undersized player at 178cm ....we recruited a number of mid-sized runners last draft ....forget this Draft for Talent rubbish, needs are most definitely factored in
Only if they are good,
Got a way to go to catch up with Richmond
14​
Houli, Bachar
205​
31yr 3mth12 May 1988
180cm​
84kg​
WesternDefender
17​
Rioli, Daniel
75​
22yr 4mth16 Apr 1997
179cm​
76kg​
North Ballarat RebelsForward
44​
Stack, Sydney R
17​
19yr 4mth28 Apr 2000
179cm​
72kg​
Federals FCDefender
Midfield
23​
Lambert, Kane
93​
27yr 9mth26 Nov 1991
178cm​
77kg​
WilliamstownForward
15​
Short, Jayden
69​
23yr 7mth24 Jan 1996
178cm​
75kg​
Northern KnightsDefender
13​
Higgins, Jack
33​
20yr 5mth19 Mar 1999
177cm​
76kg​
Oakleigh ChargersForward
29​
Bolton, Shai
26​
20yr 9mth8 Dec 1998
175cm​
76kg​
South FremantleForward
3​
Prestia, Dion
153​
26yr 10mth12 Oct 1992
175cm​
82kg​
Calder CannonsMidfield
48​
Baker, Liam R
20​
21yr 7mth27 Jan 1998
173cm​
69kg​
SubiacoForward

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Question: do we need yet another undersized player at 178cm ....we recruited a number of mid-sized runners last draft ....forget this Draft for Talent rubbish, needs are most definitely factored in
Serong is hardly what you'd call a mid sized runner, he's an inside contested bull with top end acceleration and an exceptional leap with great hands overhead that can get forward and do serious damage. He's an absolute gun mid/forward. This is not some skinny kid we're talking here Caleb's already an 83kg ball of muscle and plays game 1, year 1.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
178cm 86 Kg

178cm 83 Kg

Last edited:

Troy87

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Serong is hardly what you'd call a mid sized runner, he's an inside contested bull with top end acceleration and an exceptional leap with great hands overhead that can get forward and do serious damage. He's an absolute gun mid/forward. This is not some skinny kid we're talking here Caleb's already an 83kg ball of muscle and plays game 1, year 1.
Your starting to get me excited on this kid. After watching our young guys on the wknd, adding another 3 players inside the top 30 will be huge and one right at the pointy end.

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Checking family history would only help if family members play competitive sports seriously. So only sketchy there. There is a definite risk see Lever, Fitzy, and a whole host of others
I'd say family members of draftees have a decent chance of of having played at least reasonable level amateur footy. Definitely not an injuries restricted to professional sports.

People with a disposition to doing the tend to do the easily and relatively early, so if family have played >100 games (no scientific basis for that number) of footy, netball etc and made it to about 25 without a problem then it would be reassuring.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thats quite a silly comparison , even for you

Now list the average heights of each players generation of footballers

Here is a start. They used the term Collingwood 6 footers at the time Leigh played.

Don Scott was 1.9m or 6'2''

Greg Williams was shorter than Leigh
I don't particularly care, for me size is pretty much irrelevant anyhow, footballing ability and hardness at the contest in particular are the what I look for in a midfielder and both Serong and Rowell at 178cm have that in spades as does Sam Flanders for that matter who's also not the "tall" midfielder people seem to fantasize about on here.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't particularly care, for me size is pretty much irrelevant anyhow, footballing ability and hardness at the contest in particular are the what I look for in a midfielder and both Serong and Rowell at 178cm have that in spades as does Sam Flanders for that matter who's also not the "tall" midfielder people seem to fantasize about on here.
I’d be very excited re serong and have him and Ash as my best picks likely to available at 3 or 4

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I’d be very excited re serong and have him and Ash as my best picks likely to available at 3 or 4
Depends on where Hamish rates Brodie Kemp post his ACL otherwise I agree with you. I've always rated Ash very highly as you know and the more I've seen of Serong the more I like him. Trent Rivers is my smokey for our pick knowing Hamish sometimes sees things a little differently to some draft pundits, think he goes a bit higher than some think after his Championships.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Depends on where Hamish rates Brodie Kemp post his ACL otherwise I agree with you. I've always rated Ash very highly as you know and the more I've seen of Serong the more I like him. Trent Rivers is my smokey for our pick knowing Hamish sometimes sees things a little differently to some draft pundits, think he goes a bit higher than some think after his Championships.
Any connection to Jarrod Rivers?

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not a comment on Gould specifically - havent seen anything of him outside highlights, but Rutten went ok at around this height. Key Forwards have been trending taller, but dont think the height is prohibitive for the right guy.
I agree, who is going to play on B King in a couple of years, a 202 cm full forward?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree, who is going to play on B King in a couple of years, a 202 cm full forward?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Mate there are plenty of forwards that a 191cm defender would struggle with. This is a good list if you want to have a look. https://www.zerohanger.com/afl/players/tallest-shortest/see-all-height/

Not including 1st rucks the most obvious forwards are;

Cox (211cm)
Lobb (206cm)
McInerney (205cm)
McKay twins, Ceglar, Moore, Wright, King Twins (203ish cm)
Campbell, Casboult, Brown, Danniher, Jenkins, Dixon, Hipwood, Roughhead, (200ish)
Franklin, Buzza, Howard, Schache, Bruce, Day, Stewart, Patton, Lynch, Westhoff, Hawkins, Himmelberg, Marshall, Tabener, Ratugolea, Luko, (198-200cm)

Thats 34 blokes pushing 200cm or above, and regularly play forward or are touted as forwards. Throw in resting 1st rucks and that list gets another 18+ players on it too!

(note: Heights in cm look at little wrong to me in some cases, but its a good indication)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Of Serong's 27 disposals on the weekend 18 were contested to go with his 7 clearances...the kid's a bull.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if we pick up a mid range pick through a trade using it on his teammate Riley Baldi either.
Another extremely hard working accumulating 178cm mid that also regularly impacts the scoreboard. Plain and simple a natural footballer with the innate ability to find the footy in bunches and knows where the goals are..

Last edited:

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t think we are on a position to risk drafting Kemp. We are in a rebuild and can’t afford that. We need the players they can play and have an impact straight away. Not every game but 10 to 15. Ash and Serong sounds good unless we trade down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I don’t think we are on a position to risk drafting Kemp. We are in a rebuild and can’t afford that. We need the players they can play and have an impact straight away. Not every game but 10 to 15. Ash and Serong sounds good unless we trade down.
Draft for 3+ years time.

Not much chance that whomever we draft has any meaningful impact in the first couple of years.

No idea about Kemp. But if he is clearly the player we want and we think the knee is low risk, it would be dumb to ignore him on the basis we would miss the negligible contribution of a first year draftee.

Chief Crow

AFC young gun
Dec 11, 2007
City of Churches
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

Unless you believe we are contending for a flag next year then I see no need to ready made players in the draft. Kemp should be well and truly in our thinking if we have multiple first round selections

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unless you believe we are contending for a flag next year then I see no need to ready made players in the draft. Kemp should be well and truly in our thinking if we have multiple first round selections

We are in a position where we can’t make any mistakes. we were not competitive for the second half of the season. Next year we will blood many youngsters and I’d rather have players that aren’t injured. I think for us the risk is to high

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We are in a position where we can’t make any mistakes. we were not competitive for the second half of the season. Next year we will blood many youngsters and I’d rather have players that aren’t injured. I think for us the risk is to high

I think it's almost the opposite.

We aren't challenging next year and have plenty of youngsters already available and playing good footy in the 2s.

Kemp could be afforded time to get absolutely 100% right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back