Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
LOL

People knocking Flanders off a 2 minute "highlight" reel FFS.

Go have a look at the Vic Country vs Vic Metro Championship game if you can find it where Flanders and Serong dominated the Vic Metro midfield that had both Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson running around in it. Or better still go and watch some of Gippsland Power's NAB League games before passing ridiculous jdgements. There is a reason Flanders and Serong are rated so highly, it's not off some 2 minute highlight reel it's off of 2 seasons of dominant NAB League/TAC/U18 Championship performances. Both top performers in their under age year and both have backed it up in their top age year winning U18's All Australian honours.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stephens and Serong I agree with but bare in mind with Kemp that he won't be seen for the entirety of 2020. I do like what I have watched and heard of Stephens and Serong though

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kemp wont be seen in the main team for 2020, but from what i've read he'll certainly make it back to reserve grade by midseason based on the timeline of his injury. So all is not lost in terms of his 1st year in the system.

For me if we picked Kemp, I would just put him in the midfield group day 1. Basically use 2020 as a exceptionally long preseason for him so by week 1 2021 he's 100% cherry ripe!

fuic08

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2017
Newcaslte
AFL Club
Adelaide

Ok, Not seeing the big raps on this guy (only one vid to be honest)
He panic kicks high (Like the Crouchs lol) from contests and most of his kicks are high and rarely find a target (unless it's a short kick to someone in space)

Surely he's had some better highlights than this :oops:
3 short kicks resulted in marks. 0 long kicks.

fuic08

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2017
Newcaslte
AFL Club
Adelaide
LOL

Go have a look at the Vic Country vs Vic Metro Championship game if you can find it where Flanders and Serong dominated the Vic Metro midfield that had both Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson running around in it. Or better still go and watch some of Gippsland Power's NAB League games before passing ridiculous jdgements. There is a reason Flanders and Serong are rated so highly, it's not off some 2 minute highlight reel it's off of 2 seasons of dominant NAB League/TAC/U18 Championship performances. Both top performers in their under age year and both have backed it up in their top age year winning U18's All Australian honours.
Bizarre highlights package for him. I don't keep an eye on the underage stuff through the year. Will take your word, and others to have him rated so high though.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
LOL

His qualities (and kicking) remind me of a certain Geelong player who used to be a good guy.....

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Bizarre highlights package for him. I don't keep an eye on the underage stuff through the year. Will take your word, and others to have him rated so high though.
Maybe watch this to see how dominant he can be, 4 goals in a quarter against eventual Premiers the Oakleigh Chargers in the Qualifying Final....#4 Sam Flanders, #2 Caleb Serong Red Jumpers - #11 Matt Rowell, #8 Noah Anderson Blue Jumpers

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Kemp wont be seen in the main team for 2020, but from what i've read he'll certainly make it back to reserve grade by midseason based on the timeline of his injury. So all is not lost in terms of his 1st year in the system.

For me if we picked Kemp, I would just put him in the midfield group day 1. Basically use 2020 as a exceptionally long preseason for him so by week 1 2021 he's 100% cherry ripe!
I agree, if they think he is the best option then they should take him. Not being able to play in 2020 would be frustrating for everyone but we need to think about the long game. Danger didn't play in his first year either and he turned out ok.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Yeah that highlight package isn't the greatest indication of Flanders at all, doesn't show off how he's most dangerous up forward (goal sense and strength, both overhead and at ground level) and in the midfield (clean hands and burst speed). Wouldn't be judging him simply off of that video

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I agree, if they think he is the best option then they should take him. Not being able to play in 2020 would be frustrating for everyone but we need to think about the long game. Danger didn't play in his first year either and he turned out ok.
And from all reports, he is still a pretty raw midfield prospect who had only just starting spending decent chunks of time in the guts this season.

He spent so much time up forward or down back as a junior that he would have likely needed an entire year playing midfield before he was going to be AFL ready anyway.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I dont care if we take Kemp if hes the best player at our first pick..

Even if he hadnt done his knee he wouldnt be playing many games next year if he comes to the crows.. its simply un crows like to play a new draftee for a heap of games in his first season.

Id like to see a deal with freo for 7 and 10 for our 4 and something else and try grab kemp and that young Norwood lad..

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont care if we take Kemp if hes the best player at our first pick..

Even if he hadnt done his knee he wouldnt be playing many games next year if he comes to the crows.. its simply un crows like to play a new draftee for a heap of games in his first season.

Id like to see a deal with freo for 7 and 10 for our 4 and something else and try grab kemp and that young Norwood lad..
I think we all would, but I just don't see any incentive for Freo to make that trade. Their draft board has set up beautifully for them! Trading with us probably hinders them more then it helps

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
LOL

Is the loopy kick his normal style? I haven't seen any of him except for the 2 minute highlights package. Reading the phantom drafts etc I think he is exactly what we need - a goal kicking mid with good pace.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just back in Haggis for that first pick, really it's splitting hairs after Rowell and Anderson, you could throw a blanket over picks 3 to 10 and outline various strengths and weaknesses with each player.

On Gould slipping into the early second round, I'd absolutely love him at our second pick. Will be a general down back with his aggression and skills. Hodge/Hurn-esque.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
If we pass over Gould at 23 and hope he falls further to 28 do you think Port will use some of their 3rd rounders and pick 29 to jump infront of us to take him?

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
Will Gould sliding in the phantom guide to 20, he's now slipped behind Will Day as the 3rd SA lad...

I'm really starting to think he may well be available at 23 by draft night.
Pics have emerged of Gould at the draft combine

586365_904b3fefe923d625f1244c4f910ff9bc.jpeg

Fivel_79

Senior List
Oct 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Hull City AFC, Pacers
I think we all would, but I just don't see any incentive for Freo to make that trade. Their draft board has set up beautifully for them! Trading with us probably hinders them more then it helps

Totally agree. Freo has the most attractive draft hand to us but in my view, they’d 100% be looking to use 7 & 10 before a fire sale for Pick 22 to bank points for a bid on Henry.

Peter Bell’s public stance on wanting to bring ex-Freo people back into the fold has me thinking they may favour WA talent. Jag Robertson (Pick 7), Jackson (Pick 10) match a mid-teen bid on Henry and then see whats left.

The earliest Freo selection I think we could realistically get is swapping a bundle of picks for Pick 22.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Totally agree. Freo has the most attractive draft hand to us but in my view, they’d 100% be looking to use 7 & 10 before a fire sale for Pick 22 to bank points for a bid on Henry.

Peter Bell’s public stance on wanting to bring ex-Freo people back into the fold has me thinking they may favour WA talent. Jag Robertson (Pick 7), Jackson (Pick 10) match a mid-teen bid on Henry and then see whats left.

The earliest Freo selection I think we could realistically get is swapping a bundle of picks for Pick 22.
Yep, its almost comical how well it fits. 7 is a touch high for Robertson, but I doubt they will mind if they pick up Henry with a mid teen bid!

That's a WA draft bonanza for Freo!

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Stephens will end up being a champion ... reckon Melbourne or Carlton will take him at 8 or 9 if Freo do not at 7 .
Me too starting to think we take Dylan Stephens. His highlights are exactly wat the crows have been praying for. Speed and burst breaking lines and deadly left foot gonna besuprise gun of trade like rozzie was last year

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

28 and 45 could certainly get you 22.

If I was Freo, I'd be concerned that both Carlton and Melbourne are looking at small forwards and could bid in Henry at 8 and 9.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Stay away...stay away. I reckon he'll want to move back home to Geelong.
He might, but hopefully we get eight years or so out of him. I'd rather that than Every.

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talks on Callum Twomey's podcast from the Suns recruitment team they are keen as mustard to get another top 10 pick,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. but we should deal with them or GWS,
(Can't see Freo giving up 7+10 for 4+ 2nd pick) - stupid if they do.

Scenario A: GC
CROWS Give ; Pick 4 (plus maybe a late pick)
GOLD C Give ; Pick 15, 20 + 2020 Pick 11(will end up sliding to around 15)

3 1st round selections for 1 effectively, but bear in mind GC got them for nothing and will still hold picks 1,2 + 4 for 2019 and pick 1 for 2020, so it's not like they are hurting from this deal.
For Crows, it's a deal they would HAVE to think about. 15, 20, 23, 28 37, 45, 49 would have us stacked PLUS next year we'd have 2 picks inside 15 again.

Scenario B: GWS
CROWS Give ; Pick 4
(plus maybe a late pick)
GWS Give ; Pick 6, 2020 1st

I know the GWS one sounds crazy for them, but if they keep pick 6, the bid for Green will come before that (At either 4-5) and they'll lose the pick anyway, so we have a strong arm here.
GWS would end up with 2 of the top 6 players from this years draft crop, perhaps Luke Jackson / Tom Green combo.
Crows however don't lose much at all, they still get a ripping player at 6 (if they want Flanders/Ash/Kemp - they could ALL still be available at this point) Plus they add a 2nd first rounder for 2020.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talks on Callum Twomey's podcast from the Suns recruitment team they are keen as mustard to get another top 10 pick,

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. but we should deal with them or GWS,
(Can't see Freo giving up 7+10 for 4+ 2nd pick) - stupid if they do.

Scenario A: GC
CROWS Give ; Pick 4 (plus maybe a late pick)
GOLD C Give ; Pick 15, 20 + 2020 Pick 11(will end up sliding to around 15)

3 1st round selections for 1 effectively, but bear in mind GC got them for nothing and will still hold picks 1,2 + 4 for 2019 and pick 1 for 2020, so it's not like they are hurting from this deal.
For Crows, it's a deal they would HAVE to think about. 15, 20, 23, 28 37, 45, 49 would have us stacked PLUS next year we'd have 2 picks inside 15 again.

Scenario B: GWS
CROWS Give ; Pick 4
(plus maybe a late pick)
GWS Give ; Pick 6, 2020 1st

I know the GWS one sounds crazy for them, but if they keep pick 6, the bid for Green will come before that (At either 4-5) and they'll lose the pick anyway, so we have a strong arm here.
GWS would end up with 2 of the top 6 players from this years draft crop, perhaps Luke Jackson / Tom Green combo.
Crows however don't lose much at all, they still get a ripping player at 6 (if they want Flanders/Ash/Kemp - they could ALL still be available at this point) Plus they add a 2nd first rounder for 2020.

I think high-end talent from this year is much more valuable to us than next year as we are trying to rebuild as quick as possible while Sloane, Tex & Talia are still around, an extra year of waiting for a kid to develop could be a year too long.
I wouldn't give up pick 4 unless we managed to keep a top 10 pick this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back