Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting fact : Should we draft either Caleb Serong or Sam Flanders or any of the other of the draftable Gippsland Power youngsters in this year's draft they would be our first Gippy Power player we've drafted. Some decent talent over the years has come out of the area that's for sure. Closest we've come was trading in a former Gippy Power player the very, very underrated Mark Stevens. Edit:Jacob Schuback, thought that name rang a bell.. Ah well. Oops:oops:

Draftees

Maybe have a look at Sam Flanders highlights from his U16 year with Gippsland Power #6 and Vic Country #14 at the U16 Championships incidentally posted by teammate Riley Baldi who himself I'd be quite happy to draft with a later pick. Have a look at the hardness he shows in the Vic Country footage.
GUN

Cheers, Very impressive! His tackling pressure is awesome! Would be very happy with him at number 4 after watching that.

I am not completely sold on Flanders
I looked at the NAB highlights a while back on the app and what Bicks has already suggested
Those that suggest his kicking is questionable I agree
My doggy 1/2 chumped notes said
Contested
Grip hands
Flash handball
Knows where goals are
Has speed

Maybe as I read the article he maybe one of upside as just recently moved to middle
I don’t know if this is true just my own observations
highlights I saw were when this team was getting mowed by WA. He dump kicked like the best of them.
So, not sure hey.

highlights I saw were when this team was getting mowed by WA. He dump kicked like the best of them.
So, not sure hey.
This game?

BEST
Western Australia:
D Grainger- Barass, J Pasini, R Clarke, L Henry, D Robertson, L Jackson
Victoria Country: S Flanders, I Wareham, B Kemp, L Ash, H Young, C Serong

This game?

BEST
Western Australia:

I wouldnt read into those bests at all, Rivers/Taylor far better than Clarke for WA aswell.

This game?

BEST
Western Australia:

So what, still needs to correct habits to not get recurring entries there. Didn’t think outside the square. Just a possie and dump. Meh. Very Laird.

Flanders was the dominant VC mid in that game looking at my notes on the game. Robertson the dominant mid for WA.
Besides Rowell and Anderson, the next best mids available with our pick, at what level do you think they could get to at AFL level? Guns or very good?

Besides Rowell and Anderson, the next best mids available with our pick, at what level do you think they could get to at AFL level? Guns or very good?
Who knows the answer to that? I certainly don't. I'm not as big on Rowell as some are either, all I know is I'll be delighted with any of Tom Green (who is likely unattainable), Sam Flanders, Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong, Hayden Young or Brodie Kemp. If I was to offer an OPINION as pure gun mids Tom Green and Sam Flanders would be top of my list to have that outcome remembering Flanders can also do some really serious damage up forward, add Brodie Kemp if his ACL has no untoward effect on his mobility. I'd still take Lachie Ash though as my first preference with Tom Green off the table.

Who knows the answer to that? I certainly don't. I'm not as big on Rowell as some are either, all I know is I'll be delighted with any of Tom Green (who is likely unattainable), Sam Flanders, Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong, Hayden Young or Brodie Kemp. If I was to offer an OPINION as pure gun mids Tom Green and Sam Flanders would be top of my list to have that outcome remembering Flanders can also do some really serious damage up forward, add Brodie Kemp if his ACL has no untoward effect on his mobility. I'd still take Lachie Ash though as my first preference with Tom Green off the table.

Im very very inexperienced and unknowledgeable about the draft and players, but this is my take from what I can glean.

Suns will take Rowell and Anderson, these are dead set locks, there is a very good reason why the AFL gave the Suns pick 2.

That will leave Melbourne with Pick 3 and Crows with Pick 4. This is where it gets a bit tricky.

If Melbourne bid for Green, GWS will definitely jump in and deal with Melbourne. Crows in my opinion will then take Flanders at 4.

If Melbourne dont take Green, I think they will take Flanders as he can play for them up forward in 2020, then the Crows will take Green at 4 in which case GWS will jump in and we will get the Giants Pick 6 and 2020 1st rounder. Crows with Pick 6 becomes tricky as there will be potentially Kemp, Young, Ash, Robertson, Gould and Serong amongst the rest in the top 10.

With Pick 6, I see it as a toss up between Gould and Serong. I think it will be Serong.

In a perfect world, we take Serong first and then hope to manufacture a pick before Ports 1st and hope Gould slides out and take him there. Potentially using GWS 2020 1st as trade bait (probably along with another pick or exchange of picks).

Im very very inexperienced and unknowledgeable about the draft and players, but this is my take from what I can glean.

Suns will take Rowell and Anderson, these are dead set locks, there is a very good reason why the AFL gave the Suns pick 2.

That will leave Melbourne with Pick 3 and Crows with Pick 4. This is where it gets a bit tricky.

If Melbourne bid for Green, GWS will definitely jump in and deal with Melbourne. Crows in my opinion will then take Flanders at 4.

If Melbourne dont take Green, I think they will take Flanders as he can play for them up forward in 2020, then the Crows will take Green at 4 in which case GWS will jump in and we will get the Giants Pick 6 and 2020 1st rounder. Crows with Pick 6 becomes tricky as there will be potentially Kemp, Young, Ash, Robertson, Gould and Serong amongst the rest in the top 10.

With Pick 6, I see it as a toss up between Gould and Serong. I think it will be Serong.

In a perfect world, we take Serong first and then hope to manufacture a pick before Ports 1st and hope Gould slides out and take him there. Potentially using GWS 2020 1st as trade bait (probably along with another pick or exchange of picks).
Not me. I'm taking Lachie Ash then we don't need Gould, then I'd probably take Mitch O'Neill depending if he's still available and/or if there's a marked slider..

If Melbourne bid on Green how do they then get to trade pick 3? They’ve used that to select Green, the only other outcome is GWS marching and selecting Green.

Not me. I'm taking Lachie Ash then we don't need Gould, then I'd probably take Mitch O'Neill depending if he's still available and/or if there's a marked slider..

Not that its the only reason to take the SA kids, but I get the feeling that Port through their normal fortuitous dumb luck and lack of choice will get two SA kids sliding with their picks at 12 and 18, landing in their laps like in Gould, Stephens and Schoenberg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Melbourne bid on Green how do they then get to trade pick 3? They’ve used that to select Green, the only other outcome is GWS marching and selecting Green.

If Melbourne bid on Green, then doesnt GWS jump in (assuming they want Green which I think they definitely do) and trade say their pick 6 and a 2020 1st for Pick 3 with Melbourne?

If Melbourne bid on Green, then doesnt GWS jump in (assuming they want Green which I think they definitely do) and trade say their pick 6 and a 2020 1st for Pick 3 with Melbourne?
No. They just match the bid with their current picks, so pick 6 plus whatever other points are needed. Melbourne then take pick 4 and we move to pick 5.
Gws have to trade before a bid for Green comes in

No. They just match the bid with their current picks, so pick 6 plus whatever other points are needed. Melbourne then take pick 4 and we move to pick 5.
Gws have to trade before a bid for Green comes in

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

They interviewed Cal Twoney on the radio this arvo and he thinks Gould is a chance to slip to late 1st round early 2nd round. I can't see us taking him with our 1st pick.

They interviewed Cal Twoney on the radio this arvo and he thinks Gould is a chance to slip to late 1st round early 2nd round. I can't see us taking him with our 1st pick.

Could you see it happening if we end up with say pick 6 and another before Ports?

Could you see it happening if we end up with say pick 6 and another before Ports?
Not sure, I haven't really followed it that closely, just going by what Cal said. Maybe his poor performance at the testing has pushed him right out? May have a chance to get him with pick 23 if he really drops down.

Is there a real possibility that GWS don't match an early pick for Green?

And...is he genuinely the 3rd best player in this Draft behind Rowell and Anderson, or in the mix with 3 or 4 others.

GWS will get him, no way will they miss a chance on this kid, with his "talent" and being from Canberra, it would be a massive blunder.

So a bid is really designed to ensure they don't draft another kid with pick 6?

So a bid is really designed to ensure they don't draft another kid with pick 6?

Not really.

Otherwise the Crows could be stuck with a player it doesnt deem as pick 4 worthy.

In this case, Green is supposedly the third best player in the draft. So the point is moot. Crows would love to grab Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back