Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly sMurph never trained with the AFL squad, the nearest he got was selling scarves in the Crows Shop. He barely qualified for the draft in 2016 (born 4/12/98) and the easy option was to go back to the TAC as an overager. He moved state to play in the SANFL and outperformed all our 2016 draftees.

He was the last selection in the 2017 rookie draft and easily the best Kid picked up in the 2017 rookie draft since half those selected were recycled AFL players and guys in their twenties.

When he was interviewed post draft he said that Don Pyke phoned him after Charlie Cameron decided to take the money and run and Don wanted to draft him as a pressure forward. His answer was he would .be happy to play anywhere Don liked.

sMurph is a ripper Kid and it pisses me off that many Crows BigFooty posters (not directed at you EC) fail to recognise what he has already achieved. It is unlikely that any other teenager picked up in the 2017 rookie draft will play more AFL games than sMurph.

I am also willing to bet that Jordan Butts will be the pick of the Kids from the 2018 rookie draft.

My overall point was that most clubs are using the Rookie Draft to pick up recycled players or more mature players from state leagues. Whilst we haven’t picked up any teenagers in this year’s Rookie Draft, we have arguably the best record in recent years in drafting Kids in the Rookie Draft.
So given he moved here, wasn’t playing for any other club, who did he train with?

He wasn’t a stranger to our program like a normal rookie is.

Don’t get me wrong, kudos to what he had the balls to do and the effort he puts in. I just don’t seem him as a small forward of high quality and we should be expecting better from our small forwards.

I would hope that we try him down back at some stage otherwise he may not have a long career.

All Port's first 3 picks have massive injury comcerns, yeah they might work out but realistically at least 1 will be a bust maybe more.
Not true .... they had injury concerns and nothing that warrants any long term concern ... all have massive upside .

Whoops, should have added the ;).

I find it amusing that many posters including Scorpus ignore Murphy, presumably because he is a dwarf.

Along with a couple of other posters I suggested that we should pick up the sMurph in the Rookie Draft after he outperformed all of our 2016 draftees in the SANFL as a top up player in 2017. Before the first JLT at Strathalbyn last year I said to my mates that it would not surprise me if he played in Round one and he did plus he ended up playing 11 games in his first season. He added another 21 games this year.

Not a bad effort for a rookie listed player, let alone a dwarf.

In the last five rookie drafts we've taken two mature AFL players, two mature SANFL players, a mature VFL player, a mature NEAFL player and two father sons no one was interested in. Those players have played 5 AFL games combined. Terrible return.

The two young players we've taken in five years are Butts and Murphy. It's no surprise to me whatsoever these are the only two who look like good prospects. And one of them we had no choice but to look at as he was in our SANFL side. Murphy already has 30 games and Butts should get an opportunity

We need to be doing more young recruiting through the rookie draft. They've been our most successful picks. Not mature discards.

I would have taken O'Neill in this draft no problemo

These 2 mature age recruits aren't veterans they're both 22 and coming into their prime AFL years....these are not Sam Gibson types at all.

And these midfielders with speed that were left on the board at our 2nd and 3rd picks were ?

Realistically both won’t play much for us. I question why in the last 2 years we downgrade pick to lower positions and miss out on players that would help us. I feel Hamish knows who he wants and gets them. I think Hamish is making odd decisions like the last pick when we had better options.

The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

It just makes no sense, even if you say we took beat available it still smells like BS to me. As fans it’s a big let down as well as these guys won’t contribute much if at all next year. We need some good news on the pitch after last year’s poor showing. Only Jones and McHenry will show something I think

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree , it is there ... there were alot of near misses and a few sprays when exhausted . Only 20 , we have enough HBF , best work for him is pressure and some goals up forward . If he is superceded then we are in good shape but the one thing you know is he will fight the hardest of anyone for his spot .
That's what I find strange with Lachie, I saw plenty of him playing for the Northern Knights in his draft year and every game I watched for the Northern Knights their 3 standouts were invariably Murph, Matty Signorello and Luke Bunker [Coburg VFL]. Murphy played mostly midfield with a few stints in defence and up forward and one of his best attributes other than his contested ball and pressure was his long accurate penetrating kick. Kicked quite a few goals as well and kicking would have been the least of my worries.
What's happened there with regard to his set shot goal kicking I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's more between the ears than anything else.

Looking back through the AFL Draft Central archives then penned by Matt Balmer now Fox's draft guru....

#9 – Lachlan Murphy

At all clearance opportunities, Murphy was the go-to player for Knights, sharking from the ruck contests multiple times. Set the Knights up going out of the contest, showing he can win a great mix of inside and outside football and using his already developed frame collecting 30 disposals.

Pick 38: MB
Lachlan Murphy
Small Defender/Inside Midfielder (Northern Knights/Vic Country)
04/12/1998 | 173cm | 74kg

One of the few selected for our “All Stars” match who didn’t score a national combine invite. Alas- I’ve been a big fan of Murphy’s work in the last month and a bit, whether it be at school or TAC Cup level. A nice left foot, who makes the ball spin perfectly off his boot each time he kicks it. Despite his size, he has rolled through the inside midfield- But looks best at home across half back. Begins on the bench, but can play anywhere.

Lachlan Murphy – “Rejected time and time again at the next level, but continues to shine. His football speaks for itself – if you want a player to give you effort, Lachie is just that one to continue to stand up.”

In this match there are plenty of versatile midfielders to watch out for that could stake their claim in the National AFL Draft later this year. For the Knights, Mason Blakey and Luke Bunker are the inside grunt workers, often pushing back behind the ball to try to keep the team in possession. The two most damaging players for Northern are Matthew Signorello and Lachlan Murphy, both for different reasons.

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:

AGSV

#2 Lachlan Murphy
– I really like Murphy. Uses the ball effectively off his left foot, where the ball spins perfectly off the boot. Kicked two goals in the first quarter, but did his best work around the contest. Looks most at home off half back, but has the ability to play wherever he is needed. Also took a few strong overhead marks, which isn’t associated with players standing at 173cm.

That's what I find strange with Lachie, I saw plenty of him playing for the Northern Knights in his draft year and every game I watched for the Northern Knights their 3 standouts were invariably Murph, Matty Signorello and Luke Bunker [Coburg VFL]. Murphy played mostly midfield with a few stints in defence and up forward and one of his best attributes other than his contested ball and pressure was his long accurate penetrating kick. Kicked quite a few goals as well and kicking would have been the least of my worries.
What's happened there with regard to his set shot goal kicking I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's more between the ears than anything else.

Looking back through the AFL Draft Central archives then penned by Matt Balmer now Fox's draft guru....

#9 – Lachlan Murphy

At all clearance opportunities, Murphy was the go-to player for Knights, sharking from the ruck contests multiple times. Set the Knights up going out of the contest, showing he can win a great mix of inside and outside football and using his already developed frame collecting 30 disposals.

Pick 38: MB
Lachlan Murphy
Small Defender/Inside Midfielder (Northern Knights/Vic Country)
04/12/1998 | 173cm | 74kg

One of the few selected for our “All Stars” match who didn’t score a national combine invite. Alas- I’ve been a big fan of Murphy’s work in the last month and a bit, whether it be at school or TAC Cup level. A nice left foot, who makes the ball spin perfectly off his boot each time he kicks it. Despite his size, he has rolled through the inside midfield- But looks best at home across half back. Begins on the bench, but can play anywhere.

Lachlan Murphy – “Rejected time and time again at the next level, but continues to shine. His football speaks for itself – if you want a player to give you effort, Lachie is just that one to continue to stand up.”

In this match there are plenty of versatile midfielders to watch out for that could stake their claim in the National AFL Draft later this year. For the Knights, Mason Blakey and Luke Bunker are the inside grunt workers, often pushing back behind the ball to try to keep the team in possession. The two most damaging players for Northern are Matthew Signorello and Lachlan Murphy, both for different reasons.

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:

AGSV

#2 Lachlan Murphy
– I really like Murphy. Uses the ball effectively off his left foot, where the ball spins perfectly off the boot. Kicked two goals in the first quarter, but did his best work around the contest. Looks most at home off half back, but has the ability to play wherever he is needed. Also took a few strong overhead marks, which isn’t associated with players standing at 173cm.
Nice one Mutes , hadn't seen these blurbs .

He seems to put alot of pressure on himself so i think it is a combination of relaxing once in possession and also being able to switch some of his output to the offensive side of his game . His finishing was slightly better in 18 than 19 .

So yeah it is a between the ears thing but i reckon it will come once he slots a few .... the doubt gone and he is off .

Realistically both won’t play much for us. I question why in the last 2 years we downgrade pick to lower positions and miss out on players that would help us. I feel Hamish knows who he wants and gets them. I think Hamish is making odd decisions like the last pick when we had better options.

The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

It just makes no sense, even if you say we took beat available it still smells like BS to me. As fans it’s a big let down as well as these guys won’t contribute much if at all next year. We need some good news on the pitch after last year’s poor showing. Only Jones and McHenry will show something I think

I think Ben Keays will play quite a bit of AFL for us, I don't see him as simply a depth player, Crocker may struggle initially but even he could get games if a guy like Lynch gets injured and Davis doesn't elevate his game this season. Think you're underselling both players quite a bit.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and 85kg's already [how big do you want?] and has tested sub 3 sec/20m hasn't he?

Both Sholl and Will Hamill are speedy outside mid/wing/hbf types, plenty of run there and Neddy can play that type of role as well.

Hearing a few interviews from people at the club it feels like we are still in denial about the state of our list. The continual 'the list is better than people think it is' coming from Hamish and others is just silly talk. Our midfield is still one paced and one way and our rookie draft picks scream safe and low risk low reward where we should be trying to unearth gems. I do like what we did the main draft though.
Other than Matt and Sloane, who else is 'slow' in our midfield?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see this as Burtons failure.

I would have expected Burton would have gathered Reid , Ogilvie and the coach and had weekly/monthly meetings on how the team looks going forward , taking into account things like age, contracts and upside ie further development or maintaining output.

Then start this forward planning. That includes the coach phasing players out of the team , introducing others and flat out giving the DCM to a few.

In the last five rookie drafts we've taken two mature AFL players, two mature SANFL players, a mature VFL player, a mature NEAFL player and two father sons no one was interested in. Those players have played 5 AFL games combined. Terrible return.

The two young players we've taken in five years are Butts and Murphy. It's no surprise to me whatsoever these are the only two who look like good prospects. And one of them we had no choice but to look at as he was in our SANFL side. Murphy already has 30 games and Butts should get an opportunity

We need to be doing more young recruiting through the rookie draft. They've been our most successful picks. Not mature discards.

I would have taken O'Neill in this draft no problemo
Do agree with this, not so much a problem this year IMO especially with a younger, developing list, but guys like Wilson, Beech, Hunter have really not only taken up spots that could have been used to develop younger players in our contending years (when really it’s been very unlikely the mature age guys make an impact), but also have been some of our senior AFL performers, stunting the growth of some of our younger guys by letting them take on less responsibility

Haven’t been massively concerned with it until this point, but now 4 of our 5 rookies are 22 or over, with Mathews likely to make it 5/6. Strange position to put ourselves in, considering our recent success with Laird, Cameron, Murphy, Kelly and ROB

Hamish comments about our list being better than others think might be a dig at development, match selection and game plan

Imagine spending the time and effort to see the club not play the kids.

Murphy will never be a Milne, Betts, Rioli and he doesn't need to be. They are the exceptions.

Decent structure will help but youth given responsibility will make a massive difference.

I see this as Burtons failure.

I would have expected Burton would have gathered Reid , Ogilvie and the coach and had weekly/monthly meetings on how the team looks going forward , taking into account things like age, contracts and upside ie further development or maintaining output.

Then start this forward planning. That includes the coach phasing players out of the team , introducing others and flat out giving the DCM to a few.
Haven't you seen the massive landscape print of " The future comes one week at a time " blazoned across the hallway at west lakes .
The cleaners even had to dust and polish the glass every week just so the message was not lost .

Haven't you seen the massive landscape print of " The future comes one week at a time " blazoned across the hallway at west lakes .
The cleaners even had to dust and polish the glass every week just so the message was not lost .
I get the feeling the cleaner forgot to dust the '' the future comes'' and all they saw was ''one week at a time''

"Back the boys in."

Do agree with this, not so much a problem this year IMO especially with a younger, developing list, but guys like Wilson, Beech, Hunter have really not only taken up spots that could have been used to develop younger players in our contending years (when really it’s been very unlikely the mature age guys make an impact), but also have been some of our senior AFL performers, stunting the growth of some of our younger guys by letting them take on less responsibility

Haven’t been massively concerned with it until this point, but now 4 of our 5 rookies are 22 or over, with Mathews likely to make it 5/6. Strange position to put ourselves in, considering our recent success with Laird, Cameron, Murphy, Kelly and ROB
Every aspect of the club got way ahead of it self including list management. Arrogance from the top to the bottom and each dept failed in doing the logical stuff. Pride comes before a fall could not have been truer and some humble pie follows.

In saying all that clearing the list and gains in pick swapping is a huge step forward.

These 2 mature age recruits aren't veterans they're both 22 and coming into their prime AFL years....these are not Sam Gibson types at all.

And these midfielders with speed that were left on the board at our 2nd and 3rd picks were ?

rockchat-net-cya-gif.683111
Bye-bye 2019 draft watch - it's been a blast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back