Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shifter likes 3 of our 5 picks....

ADELAIDE

Players drafted:

Fischer McAsey (6), Harry Schoenberg (24), Josh Worrell (28), Ronin O’Connor (42), Lachlan Gollant (48)

Shifter’s take:

They’ve got a couple of tall boys there in McAsey and Worrell so they’ve gone for some key positions – and they can both go at both ends of the ground. Then they’ve got Schoenberg, the inside midfielder. So I think it’s some terrific pick ups they’ve got there with three choices of their fives.

Mackay has kicked the 5th amount of goals on the list behind, Walker, Lynch, Gibbs, Sloane :eek: and we got Hart looking after this group.:mad:

It's one reason I was disappointed we didn't get a goal kicking midfielder.

Where do the goals come from in 2020?

Walker and Fogarty need to have 40 + goal seasons
Sloane has to play forward and kick 20-30
Lynch has to play closer to goal and get back to 30
Murphy can increase from 20 to 30
Milera has to become a goal kicking mid and kick 20+
Gallucci with a decent structure and role can become a 20-30 goal a year player.
Smith/Seedsman need 25 between them
Crouch/Crouch need to get to 20 between them
Jones/McHenry ideally get 20 between them

Everyone mid needs to hit the scoreboard otherwise its going to be a really painful season.

-Soz meant rising star
-I’ve got no idea who Philps is, but he’s basically free as we rated Kemp as the next best player
Take a look at some of the players SOS rated top 3 or 5 or 10 in the draft in his GWS and Carlton days. His rating isn't a great indicator...

-I’ve got no idea who Philps is, but he’s basically free as we rated Kemp as the next best player

This is really strange logic. The fact that you got Philps "for free" is besides the point. The point is, you could have had any other player available at that selection "for free", but instead you chose Philps. The price you paid is overlooking another, potentially better, player.

It's like being given a free dip from a bucket of gold nuggets, coming up with a turd, and then saying "well it was free so it's a win!"

Maybe Philps will turn out to be the best choice there... although given Carlton's record, I wouldn't be placing money on it.

This is really strange logic. The fact that you got Philps "for free" is besides the point. The point is, you could have had any other player available at that selection "for free", but instead you chose Philps. The price you paid is overlooking another, potentially better, player.

It's like being given a free dip from a bucket of gold nuggets, coming up with a turd, and then saying "well it was free so it's a win!"

Maybe Philps will turn out to be the best choice there... although given Carlton's record, I wouldn't be placing money on it.
by taking philp, the opportunity cost was not taking one of ... Gould, Robertson, Shoenberg, Worrell, Sharp, Rivers etc. So that 'free hit' they got needs to be judged against those players SOS overlooked to reach for Philp

Overall looks a reasonable haul.

Looks to have been a bit of a difficult draft for recruiters, perhaps impacted a touch by the introduction of the midseason draft. Top 2 appeared to be absolute elites, but then there was a bit of a chook raffle between 3-11 and then again from 12-30ish. After that you get the feeling the talent genuinely fell off a cliff with clubs selecting largely "rookie" type speculative prospects from about 40 onwards it appears.

I think its a shame we perhaps couldn't manufacture another 1-2 picks within the top 30.

In and of themselves, the picks look very much like reasonable prospects, Schoenbergs grown on me a bit, my main concern as always is I just think we should be trying to bring in more local talent than we do. We're effectively a pseudo State of Origin team, thats our culture/origins, yet we have at best 25% south Australians. Do you lose an element of passion for the jumper because of this? Also it puts extra strain on the Salary cap, interstate players will generally need to be paid a premium to keep, if you have more locals, you might be able to pay a bit more to those interstate stars you're at risk of losing. But that's a complex argument.

I mentioned a few times before the draft that likely we'd be going mature agers in the draft. Increasingly clubs are using the rookie draft as a "depth" list, as well as to strengthen their reserves. Especially for us and the restrictions on recruiting outside our list for our reserves team, we need some experienced bodies to help protect/support our young draftees in their 1st 1-2 years.

I thought we might have gone another ruck sized player in the rookie draft, possibly McBean, just as that real break glass type for both ruck and KPP posts. We may still do this as well.

-Soz meant rising star

I hate how you Carlton flogs eat up everything SOS tells you. He is a giant fraud.....just look at his track record both with you and at GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure this has already been posted but why does this acticle even exist?

His results aren't that great to be honest. "Smashing it" would be 17/20 most years.

Shifter likes 3 of our 5 picks....

ADELAIDE

Players drafted:

Fischer McAsey (6), Harry Schoenberg (24), Josh Worrell (28), Ronin O’Connor (42), Lachlan Gollant (48)

Shifter’s take:

They’ve got a couple of tall boys there in McAsey and Worrell so they’ve gone for some key positions – and they can both go at both ends of the ground. Then they’ve got Schoenberg, the inside midfielder. So I think it’s some terrific pick ups they’ve got there with three choices of their fives.
What an analysis

Just watched a few metro and SA u18 games again keeping a close eye on our first 3 picks. Watched a WA game where O'Connor didn't really get near it.

McAsey is a real general in the air. Aerial ability is excellent as is his ability to read where the ball is going and get off his opponent. Takes a lot of grabs rather than punching. He's a big lad though so obviously not the most nimble. Hamish said he has good foot skills but I haven't witnessed that yet. Wouldn't say bad but nothing special.

Worrel played mostly up forward in the games I saw but definitely looks versatile. Good left foot and rarely misses. A lot more agility than McAsey. The talent is there for sure.

Schoenberg really impresses me with his vision and decision making in close. He's a natural at finding it and knowing what to do with it. Has an awkward and poor looking kicking style but I can't say I've seen him stuff up too many. Can't shake the Neale comparison but with a bit more pace.

Of picks from other clubs:

Rowell really got sat on during the Champs but still manages to show the most out of anyone.

Anderson is an interesting one. He runs really hard both ways and shows flashes of class but I reckon he's overrated and will frustrate his supporters. That could come back to bite me but I've seen him make some bad errors and decisions. He also looks like a real dick on the field.

Sladocjevic or however you spell it looked really horrible.

Another call that could come back to bite is that I think Pickett could be a real flop. Occasionally does something that wows you but does the wrong thing too often imo. You look at Henry and its chalk and cheese. He rarely makes a mistake.

Stephens could also go either way.

Bergman might turn out to be a really good pick up for Port and I think mead could be handy.

Kozzie went way too early IMO, but happy to be proven wrong. He's a good kid.

Just watched a few metro and SA u18 games again keeping a close eye on our first 3 picks. Watched a WA game where O'Connor didn't really get near it.

McAsey is a real general in the air. Aerial ability is excellent as is his ability to read where the ball is going and get off his opponent. Takes a lot of grabs rather than punching. He's a big lad though so obviously not the most nimble. Hamish said he has good foot skills but I haven't witnessed that yet. Wouldn't say bad but nothing special.

Worrel played mostly up forward in the games I saw but definitely looks versatile. Good left foot and rarely misses. A lot more agility than McAsey. The talent is there for sure.

Schoenberg really impresses me with his vision and decision making in close. He's a natural at finding it and knowing what to do with it. Has an awkward and poor looking kicking style but I can't say I've seen him stuff up too many. Can't shake the Neale comparison but with a bit more pace.

Of picks from other clubs:

Rowell really got sat on during the Champs but still manages to show the most out of anyone.

Anderson is an interesting one. He runs really hard both ways and shows flashes of class but I reckon he's overrated and will frustrate his supporters. That could come back to bite me but I've seen him make some bad errors and decisions. He also looks like a real dick on the field.

Sladocjevic or however you spell it looked really horrible.

Another call that could come back to bite is that I think Pickett could be a real flop. Occasionally does something that wows you but does the wrong thing too often imo. You look at Henry and its chalk and cheese. He rarely makes a mistake.

Stephens could also go either way.

Bergman might turn out to be a really good pick up for Port and I think mead could be handy.

Good write up. Mcasey does have a nice kick on him and unlike talia and hartigan has a flat penetrating kick. You can best see evidence of this when you watch his sandrinham games. I have also noticed he doesnt seem to be a big spoiler of the ball rather seems to like going for his marks. Personally i hoping we develop him more as a forward where he has played quite a bit.

Ive watched a few sandringham games and you can definately see the talent in worrell. Down back he reads the play really well and rebounds nicely with his penetrating kick as well. As you would expect he is a lot more consistent down back.

If we’ve always wanted McAsey and turn 4 into McAsey, a first rounder and a second rounder it’s just good business.

Why do people struggle with this?

What if we’ve actually always really wanted Day and Kemp and use Carlton and Geelong to turn 4 into:

- Three First Rounders (14, 17, 2020 GWS)
- Second Rounder (2020 CARL)
- not to mention our other picks 22, 23

Maybe this explains Binuk’s Draft Day post it note tweet.
Option 2 would have netted us the equivalent of pick 1 & 25 points wise or Kemp, Robertson and a 2nd vs McAsey.

Hello

We've hit 400 pages, time to close the thread

If you'd like to continue this discussion, try here:

regards
deaneus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back