Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe an option to consider given our list age - do we flick pick 1 into 3 picks within top 22 ?

Tough to give away pick 1 but something to consider , what is pick 1 worth ?

Edit 4 picks including our current pick 19

Maybe an option to consider given our list age - do we flick pick 1 into 3 picks within top 22 ?

I think that's worth considering.

Would GWS do pick 1 into 7, 16 and Hately?

Not that I am advocating for it, but I floated almost an exact scenario on their board mainly because if they got pick 1, they can take Rowell or Anderson and then use points for their possible top 5 academy pick Tom Green - so they would end up with 2 elite players. For us, we get 2 x 1sts + a player (I was using Himmelberg as the player as I really like him, but he may have signed on recently) We could actually really set up doing such a deal and GWS would also benefit big time as any high bid coming in for Green will eat away their 2 x 1st rounders anyway.

Edit - if such a hypothetical deal materialised, it would give us plenty of currency for Grundy and we would also have gained a player from GWS that we like. I think it is not far away from a win win for both clubs

What makes you think we have any interest at all in Hately, he was there for the taking and we passed him over firstly for Tarryn Thomas and then Chayce Jones?
We may have just had those guys ahead of him and had him about 10th on our draft board

I’m not sure he’s really what we need though as we have CEY playing well and prob need something more dynamic realistically

Not that I am advocating for it, but I floated almost an exact scenario on their board mainly because if they got pick 1, they can take Rowell or Anderson and then use points for their possible top 5 academy pick Tom Green - so they would end up with 2 elite players. For us, we get 2 x 1sts + a player (I was using Himmelberg as the player as I really like him, but he may have signed on recently) We could actually really set up doing such a deal and GWS would also benefit big time as any high bid coming in for Green will eat away their 2 x 1st rounders anyway.

Edit - if such a hypothetical deal materialised, it would give us plenty of currency for Grundy and we would also have gained a player from GWS that we like. I think it is not far away from a win win for both clubs
Would denfinitely do that deal if Himmelberg was involved , I’d be asking about it even though they are unlikely to take the bait

I love Rowell and Anderson but starting to think we need to cut our list harder given we may scrape into the 8 but have the 3rd oldest list

3-4 top 25 picks could be like the Geelong draft that set them up for years ; we need some dynamic players and an elite tall at either end but preferably forward

depends on what offer is, but Im in favour of keeping it. We have some good young talent already, even after list changes we'll struggle to fit them all in. Also i think that Aderson is exactly the type of player our midfield needs.

I love Rowell and Anderson but starting to think we need to cut our list harder given we may scrape into the 8 but have the 3rd oldest list

3-4 top 25 picks could be like the Geelong draft that set them up for years ; we need some dynamic players and an elite tall at either end but preferably forward
The issue is you know we won’t play them all so we are going to have all this talent in the SANFL. We’ve got 3 first rounders playing there this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is you know we won’t play them all so we are going to have all this talent in the SANFL. We’ve got 3 first rounders playing there this weekend.
Are we the only team that doesn't really play our first rounders? Feel like every other team goes youth and we just keep backing in the middle of the road guys.

We may have just had those guys ahead of him and had him about 10th on our draft board

I’m not sure he’s really what we need though as we have CEY playing well and prob need something more dynamic realistically

I don’t mind Hately, but he screams “Brad Ebert” to me, very solid inside mid who can find the ball on the outside, but more that solid A-/B+ type that is solid week in, week out, but rarely stars. Does he really offer a lot more than what we already have?

Would we even play Rowell ahead of Sloane, Crouch x2, Gibbs, Greenwood, CEY, Jones, McHerny, Gallucci, Mackay...? We’d probably force him into an “apprenticeship” as a small forward before getting dropped as it’s not his gig.

We have good young talent already. What we lack is elite talent.

Agreed, but are you more likely to find that elite player with 2x top 10 picks + 2x top 20 picks, or with pick 1 and 19?

History says whilst pick 1 is generally quality, it’s not often a genuine elite. Do you tend to go “safer” with pick one due to the extra pressure?

Whilst Walsh looks a gun at pick 1 last year, Rozee looks every bit his equal at pick 5.

What makes you think we have any interest at all in Hately, he was there for the taking and we passed him over firstly for Tarryn Thomas and then Chayce Jones?
What makes you think he wasn't the next player on our list?

Are we the only team that doesn't really play our first rounders? Feel like every other team goes youth and we just keep backing in the middle of the road guys.
Pretty sure this is a myth that almost every board says about their own team.

Clubs rarely play a large number of kids at once. Usually with good reason. Port have been the exception this year but they're definitely an anomaly.

We all just get excited about new toys especially when we aren't travelling so well. I'm guilty of it. I'd love to see Mchenry, Jones, Fog, gooch and Stengle in the side. I also think about as much as it pains us, slower exposure for certain players has actually proved to be good for their development. Of course there's no counter factual, but it's hard to argue against the development of our players.

There has also been examples of first rounders who we did play consistently early on. Milera and Smith. We just keep thinking about Fog and Doedee.

Another point I'd like to make is that at the moment, we are backing in a young first rounder despite having low output. Everyone wants him dropped?

What makes you think he wasn't the next player on our list?
Conversely what makes you think he was?

We went for speed/agility first, foot skills second with all of our first 4 picks.......Hately has neither as his outstanding traits. he's not quick and average would best describe his foot skills.

If pick 1 was that valuable, clubs would be trading it more often.

Multiple selections in the first round are always better than one pick, even if it is pick 1. Club recruiters know this. The advantage of pick 1 is you're more likely to recruit a good 250+ game player. It doesn't guarantee you a star player.

GWS already have a lot of star midfielders. They need more depth in small forwards, running defenders and potentially another ruck option.

If they know they're bringing in Tom Green this year, it doesn't make sense to trade up and get another similar player such as Rowell when they already have a surplus of his type.

Let me put it this way, would you trade picks 7, 16 and one of Chase Jones, Milera or Doedee for pick 1 being Matt Rowell?

I know some will suggest that deals like the above can work because GWS can use other points to match bids, but that doesn't provide Adelaide with leverage in a trade. It merely provides an opportunity for GWS to explore their options. If a bid on Tom Green was to come in the 10-15 range, GWS might wish to use pick 7 in the draft on a higher rated player and swap pick 16 for a future first with another club to diversify their picks across multiple drafts. Points from later selections can be used to match as required.

Conversely what makes you think he was?

We went for speed/agility first, foot skills second with all of our first 4 picks.......Hately has neither as his outstanding traits. he's not quick and average would best describe his foot skills.
I would have thought we went for best available at each pick.

We've always prioritised leadership - that's Hately. We prioritise flexibility - that's Hately as well. He's also an accumulator, which we don't really have in our under 22s.

Look, neither of us can possibly know. I just like the look of Hately. Plus - he's surplus to their needs as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back