Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we got GWSs third rounder too?
Here's a summary of our previous trades from last year affecting this year's draft
2019-previous-trades-e-jpg.629798

Last edited:

I think midfielder Matt Rowell 180cm 73kg would be near the top of everyone's list after his dominant 2018 U18's Championships as an under ager.
Others in contention probably Mid Noah Anderson 190cm 83kg, Mid Mitch O'Neil 181cm 69kg, General Forward Dylan Williams 188cm 82kg,Mid/Forward Sam Flanders 183cm 81kg, Mid Tom Green 188cm 85kg.

Clever Forward Cam Taheny 183cm 76kg probably SA's best prospect at this point IMO especially if he can transition into the midfield in 2019, very exciting prospect, another Croweaters that will bear watching Defender Will Gould 190cm 95kg but SA doesn't look nearly as strong as last year.

My dark horse for 2019 is big bodied Geelong Falcon midfielder Cooper Stephens 187cm 70kg who really impressed me as an under ager last season, locally I really like medium forward Mitch Martin who I think will likely transition into the midfield this season and take his game to another level.

Looks a pretty skinny draft for talls to me with Utility Brodie Kemp 193cm 76kg a personal favourite, the athletic Ruck/Forward Luke Jackson 196cm 90kg and Tall forward Emmerson Jeka 198cm 88kg who's shown a bit perhaps chances. Our Academy kid Daniel Sladojevic 192cm 91kg shows promise but I'm not convinced yet.

Edit : those weights and measurements are last year's so will likely need updating during the season with a lot of the lads likely to have a growth spurt..

I’m concerned about our future draft stocks especially considering new 6-6-6 rules. You think we are likely to go to the draft for an up and coming ruckman or draft a ready made from a club..eg Brodie Grundy?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m concerned about our future draft stocks especially considering new 6-6-6 rules. You think we are likely to go to the draft for an up and coming ruckman or draft a ready made from a club..eg Brodie Grundy?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doesn't look to be much exposed Ruck talent in the 2019 draft class apart from maybe WA's Luke Jackson who measured in at 196/197cm in 2018 so probably needs a growth spurt this season. Grundy is a pipe dream unfortunately.

Doesn't look to be much exposed Ruck talent in the 2019 draft class apart from maybe WA's Luke Jackson who measured in at 196/197cm in 2018 so probably needs a growth spurt this season. Grundy is a pipe dream unfortunately.
Watched big fellas Jack Bell and Nick Bryan ruck on the weekend and both have a fair bit of upside. Bell looks to be a long term prospect in the Tim English mould being lanky but well skilled for a tall. Bryan kicked a running goal most small forwards would miss so he isn’t without tricks either, he was 196cm at the start of last yeat and is 199cm now.

Sandringham also have Riley Bowman this year although he will play mostly forward and academy member Andrew Courtney is another 198cm ruck/forward with some upside.

Another tall although you would hope a bid isn’t matched is Samson Ryan part of the lions academy, I see a bit of young Max Gawn about him (obviously not at that quality yet)

Watched big fellas Jack Bell and Nick Bryan ruck on the weekend and both have a fair bit of upside. Bell looks to be a long term prospect in the Tim English mould being lanky but well skilled for a tall. Bryan kicked a running goal most small forwards would miss so he isn’t without tricks either, he was 196cm at the start of last yeat and is 199cm now.

Sandringham also have Riley Bowman this year although he will play mostly forward and academy member Andrew Courtney is another 198cm ruck/forward with some upside.

Another tall although you would hope a bid isn’t matched is Samson Ryan part of the lions academy, I see a bit of young Max Gawn about him (obviously not at that quality yet)
A Sandy Dragon that really interests me is Josh Worrell?

I'm waiting for Riley Thilthorpe, he's showing all the signs to be the next Grundy.

Worrell ain’t your ruckman but a handy swingman, keen to see his progress aswell.
I realise he's not a ruckman but I think there's a bit there to work with as a Half Forward/Half Back, particularly good below the knees for a tall kid too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t go to heavy on the rebels boys like last year :p Watts didn’t get a good look in which sucks they tried turning him into a key position player where as I see him better as a ruckman.
Yep Tylar was a major, major disappointment going off the promise he showed the year before. Seriously now I thought the Patty Glanford was hopeless early on but he came on surprisingly well with his tap work especially, just needs to get more pill and involved around the ground, has a nice touch of aggression to his game.

My concern with having a top 5 pick spent on an elite vic mid is only gonna bite us in the ass eventually.
How long until Stkilda, North, Hawthorn and Carlton come calling after his 3rd year with a big cash offer?

My concern with having a top 5 pick spent on an elite vic mid is only gonna bite us in the ass eventually.
How long until Stkilda, North, Hawthorn and Carlton come calling after his 3rd year with a big cash offer?
Don't forget North

That’s a defeatist Marty attitude
Look what has happened to GWS and the Gold Coast, arent we also gearing up to take Luko and Rankine off of gold coast in a couple of years? If you are drafted in the top 5 these days and you play well in your first contract you can pretty much go anywhere you want.
I'd say it's a realist view, that it may or could happen..... even our own club prefers Vic country players.

Look what has happened to GWS and the Gold Coast, arent we also gearing up to take Luko and Rankine off of gold coast in a couple of years? If you are drafted in the top 5 these days and you play well in your first contract you can pretty much go anywhere you want.
I'd say it's a realist view, that it may or could happen..... even our own club prefers Vic country players.
The only ones gearing up to 'take' Lukosius and Rankine off the GCS are some posters on the Adelaide Big Footy board...
The same ones that have us gearing up to 'take' Brodie Grundy from the Pies probably.

Good luck with all that "Fantasy Footy"..And btw without checking I'd hazard a guess we've drafted a lot more Vic Metro boys than Vic Country boys over the years.

Nothing really has happened to GWS. They had cap space issues. Their spuds find a second home at Carlton.
GC must players resigned contracts and who could deny the likes of Lynch and May new homes are 7 years of struggle at a fledgling club.

How many top 5 draft picks go to a team in contention never mind top 3 picks?

You are Rowell and Anderson and looking at going in top 3 and your reward is a choice of basket case clubs GC, Saints, Carlton with no sign of finals for a while and realistically no flag in 5-7 years.

Then you get handed a gold pass to to a top 6 club.

The only ones gearing up to 'take' Lukosius and Rankine off the GCS are some posters on the Adelaide Big Footy board...
The same ones that have us gearing up to 'take' Brodie Grundy from the Pies probably.

Good luck with all that "Fantasy Footy"..And btw without checking I'd hazard a guess we've drafted a lot more Vic Metro boys than Vic Country boys over the years.
No chance of getting Grundy, Luko or Rankine;););)
I see what you are doing there

No chance of getting Grundy, Luko or Rankine;););)
I see what you are doing there
Not no chance but we'd likely have to pay considerable overs especially if you're talking like some on this board whilst they're still contracted.....all that dependent as well on the player actually agreeing.

Well , if we want those players which I’m sure we do and I’m sure we will target Lukoscious mainly as our key positions are ageing we are going to need trade loot and not much more trade loot than a top 5 pick thriving at the level with 6+ Victorian clubs keen for his services

And we may just get him to stay like our skipper and also our All Australian key defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back