Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

QLD Lion 2019

Debutant
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Draft Central Academy Team of the Week
– Number of times selected at completion of 5 games

5 Times (2 players):
Connor Buddarick - GC Suns
Jeromy Lucas – GWS

4 Times (10 players):
Nick Murray - GWS
Tom Griffiths – Lions
Ben Jungfer – NT
Will Martin – Lions
Sam Thorne – Swans
Liam Delahunty – GWS
Josh Gore – Suns
Tom Green – GWS
Ashton Crossley – Suns
Jacob Dol – Swans

3 Times (11 players):
Corey Joyce – Suns
Luke Parks - Swans
Errol Gulden – Swans
Noah Cumberland – Lions
Braeden Campbell – Swans
Bruce Reville – Lions
Max Geddes – Swans
Joel Jeffrey - NT
Aidan Watling - Swans
James Peatling – GWS
Hamish Ellem – Swans

2 Times (9 players):
Jack Johnson – Suns
Tom Wishnat – Lions
Stephen Cumming – NT
Matthew Cumming – NT
Beau O’Connell – NT
Hewago Ace Paul Oea – Suns
Samson Ryan – Lions
Kyle Martin – Swans
Max Pescud – Suns

1 Time (17 players):
Thomas Jeffrey – Lions
Kyle McKellar – Swans
Ethan Hunt – Lions
Alex Davies – Suns
Nick Haberer – Lions
Harrison Parker – Swans
Cody Stackleberg – Lions
Dirk Koenen – Suns
Tyson Woods – NT
Hamish Grant – GWS
Shaun Driscoll – GWS
Callum Nash – Swans
Lachlan Squire – GWS
Malcom Rosas Jr – NT
Shawn Forster – NT
Lucas Conlan – GWS
Ed Perryman - GWS

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/4becad5d6cd593072237fae14ec79ef6

Some of the main quotes from the article include;
“Rowell’s Chargers coach Leigh Clarke described midfielder Rowell in one word: “complete”.
A man who has seen Jordan de Goey, Shaun Higgins and Darcy Moore come through at Oakleigh said he was consistently blown away by Rowell’s consistency and will to win.

With his attributes and traits he is as complete as I have seen,” Clarke told the Herald sun.

“He just never gets beaten. As a coach you would never doubt him.

“He has been best-on-ground in every game at the highest level. He was best on in the Grand Final last year, then an Australian (academy) game on AFL Grand Final day, then best-on in an Australian game again (against Casey) last month.”

Rowell had 31 possessions in the TAC Cup final and has this year averaged 159 ranking points in the NAB league as well as 28 possessions, 10 tackles and seven clearances.

Leigh Montagna says Rowell and his best mate Noah Anderson, rated the draft’s No. 2 pick, are seen by AFL recruiters as superior talents to Sam Walsh

Clarke says the boys are inseparable, Rowell the stoppage beast and Anderson the explosive midfielder whose three games for Calder have seen him amass 202, 215 and 137 ranking points.“
/End quotes

Wow... I don’t care if Carlton finish last or second last... and it’s looking more and more likely Carlton will end up bottom 2... these two lads both sound like absolute guns in the making and either one would be awesome to have in the tri colours from next year.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/4becad5d6cd593072237fae14ec79ef6

Some of the main quotes from the article include;
“Rowell’s Chargers coach Leigh Clarke described midfielder Rowell in one word: “complete”.
A man who has seen Jordan de Goey, Shaun Higgins and Darcy Moore come through at Oakleigh said he was consistently blown away by Rowell’s consistency and will to win.

With his attributes and traits he is as complete as I have seen,” Clarke told the Herald sun.

“He just never gets beaten. As a coach you would never doubt him.

“He has been best-on-ground in every game at the highest level. He was best on in the Grand Final last year, then an Australian (academy) game on AFL Grand Final day, then best-on in an Australian game again (against Casey) last month.”

Rowell had 31 possessions in the TAC Cup final and has this year averaged 159 ranking points in the NAB league as well as 28 possessions, 10 tackles and seven clearances.

Leigh Montagna says Rowell and his best mate Noah Anderson, rated the draft’s No. 2 pick, are seen by AFL recruiters as superior talents to Sam Walsh

Clarke says the boys are inseparable, Rowell the stoppage beast and Anderson the explosive midfielder whose three games for Calder have seen him amass 202, 215 and 137 ranking points.“
/End quotes

Wow... I don’t care if Carlton finish last or second last... and it’s looking more and more likely Carlton will end up bottom 2... these two lads both sound like absolute guns in the making and either one would be awesome to have in the tri colours from next year.

Some player this Anderson kid if he's amassed all those ranking points for Calder when he plays for the Oakleigh Chargers...

birdflu

Senior List
Jul 2, 2016
montreal, quebec, canada
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orioles, Ravens, CBJ, NYK
Discovered recently that I could watch the replay of the All Australian U18s vs. Casey Demons match from earlier this year via my WatchAFL subscription, so I watched the first half. Anderson was fairly quiet but Rowell had one moment that was absolutely breathtaking, received a handball in the centre of the ground, accelerated away from the opposition and kicked a goal on the run from outside 50 just before being tackled. Just oozed class, confidence and poise. Looked like he was playing at a different speed to everyone else. I'm no expert draft watcher but I was sold on the kid the moment I saw that.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Anderson and Rowell are clear picks 1 & 2 and they are best mates, then if we have a top 2 pick, we probably want the club with the other pick to be Sydney or Gold Coast so there isn't a victorian club that can offer which ever one we get the chance to go home and play with his best mate.

I think Anderson looks more like an Ogilvie pick, but that decision could be taken away from us if we get pick 2.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
The best mate thing is overplayed.

It's like when you go to high school and you make new friends, or uni and you make new friends.

These guys care about 1) money, 2) opportunity.

Lachie Neale just went to Brisbane to play with his best mate Lincoln Mccarthy. Dion Prestia chose Richmond because Caddy was there, then Tom Lynch joined them.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
Lachie Neale just went to Brisbane to play with his best mate Lincoln Mccarthy. Dion Prestia chose Richmond because Caddy was there, then Tom Lynch joined them.

Lachie went to Brisbane for the $1m a year and reclusiveness that Queensland offers, and of course they are a team on the up.
Prestia I'm sure decided on Richm for money reasons and agreed to join them before caddy did.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The best mate thing is overplayed.

It's like when you go to high school and you make new friends, or uni and you make new friends.

These guys care about 1) money, 2) opportunity.

Exactly

We're supposed to believe their incentive to move is to 'play with a mate' not because they will get paid $200k more per year.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Last edited:

Bayno82

Senior List
Mar 24, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bicks what would it cost to get Taheny? Im guessing would have to trade both our second rounders for a late first?

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know how Luke Jackson in WA is tracking? Seen limited vision of him in the ruck, but from what I saw he seemed an exceptionally smooth mover for a guy that size. Good with ball in hand too.

Bit undersized at 196cm for a #1 Ruckman (if he hasn't grown again) but would not be adverse to taking a flier on him with out 2nd pick if he was still available.

Banshee23

All Australian
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWT Eagles / Grêmio / Strikers

2019 draft AND 2020 draft related...

Prince Alfred beat St Peters by 10 goals. According to the article, 2019 Prospects Kysaiah Pickett and Karl Finlay starred, as did 2020 prospects James Borlase and Isaiah Dudley, all playing for Princes.

Obviously, the mention of James Borlase caught my eye. The article is behind a paywall unfortunately. Here are some quotes:

"It would have been understandable if scouts at Prince Alfred’s 10-goal Messenger Shield college football victory over fierce rivals St Peter’s on Saturday focused their attention on SA under-18 squad members Kysaiah Pickett and Karl Finlay.... But two other Princes players caught the eye just as often as that duo in the 16.10 (106) to 7.6 (46) triumph at St Peter’s College and loom as names to watch ahead of the 2020 and 2021 drafts – James Borlase and Isaiah Dudley."

Marty McKinnon said “Borlase was great today … and what I like about him is last year he played three or four firsts games and the pace of it was a challenge.

“He’s come out this year with the word ‘compete’ or words to that effect around his wrists, and he’s really competing hard and is a massive presence.

“The upside on him is very high and the development from last year to this year has been significant.”

Borlase is on our NGA list.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cooper Horsnell [2020], Anzac Lochowiak [2020], Daniel Sladojevic [2019] according to the link below......Luke Edwards [2020] was but it's reported he's opting out?

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-12-12/academy-off-for-second-season
Is Anzac 2020 for sure? If the SA U18 team list is correct his birthday is 04/06/2001 which would make him 2019 would it not? Do you know if any of these guys look like being drafted? There were big wraps on Anzac last year on here.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Is Anzac 2020 for sure? If the SA U18 team list is correct his birthday is 04/06/2001 which would make him 2019 would it not? Do you know if any of these guys look like being drafted? There were big wraps on Anzac last year on here.
yeah looking at Sturt's website that's the age they have for him as well.

You'd have to ask the SA watchers because I won't get a look at him until the Championships if he makes the final squad, looking at his SANFL stats he doesn't look to be setting the world on fire.

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
yeah looking at Sturt's website that's the age they have for him as well.

You'd have to ask the SA watchers because I won't get a look at him until the Championships if he makes the final squad, looking at his SANFL stats he doesn't look to be setting the world on fire.
chazwazza have you seen much of Anzac? What are your thoughts on his as a prospect?

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
chazwazza have you seen much of Anzac? What are your thoughts on his as a prospect?
No I haven’t, I think he’s had a couple of Reserves games this year and seems to be progressing ok.
Just a quick look at his season so far-
R1- Reserves D24 G1.1
R2- Reserves D18 G0.0
R3- Reserves D10 G0.0
R4- U18’s D23 G1.0
R5- DNP (injured?)
R6- DNP (injured?)

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Should be 2019 if that is his birthday - eligible if he turns 18 before/by Dec31 in the draft year.

From 2018 AFL Rules:

(d) Minimum Age
No Player shall be selected at a National Draft Selection Meeting, or included on a Club’s Primary List under Rule 8, unless the Player has attained the age of 18 years or will attain the age of 18 years on or before the 31st day of December next following the National Draft Selection Meeting or his inclusion, as the case may be.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
No I haven’t, I think he’s had a couple of Reserves games this year and seems to be progressing ok.
Just a quick look at his season so far-
R1- Reserves D24 G1.1
R2- Reserves D18 G0.0
R3- Reserves D10 G0.0
R4- U18’s D23 G1.0
R5- DNP (injured?)
R6- DNP (injured?)
Has played for Rostrevor the last two weeks I think

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane

2019 draft AND 2020 draft related...

Prince Alfred beat St Peters by 10 goals. According to the article, 2019 Prospects Kysaiah Pickett and Karl Finlay starred, as did 2020 prospects James Borlase and Isaiah Dudley, all playing for Princes.

Obviously, the mention of James Borlase caught my eye. The article is behind a paywall unfortunately. Here are some quotes:

"It would have been understandable if scouts at Prince Alfred’s 10-goal Messenger Shield college football victory over fierce rivals St Peter’s on Saturday focused their attention on SA under-18 squad members Kysaiah Pickett and Karl Finlay.... But two other Princes players caught the eye just as often as that duo in the 16.10 (106) to 7.6 (46) triumph at St Peter’s College and loom as names to watch ahead of the 2020 and 2021 drafts – James Borlase and Isaiah Dudley."

Marty McKinnon said “Borlase was great today … and what I like about him is last year he played three or four firsts games and the pace of it was a challenge.

“He’s come out this year with the word ‘compete’ or words to that effect around his wrists, and he’s really competing hard and is a massive presence.

“The upside on him is very high and the development from last year to this year has been significant.”

Borlase is on our NGA list.
Isiah Dudley is ours as well, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back