Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowman32

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE
I have no doubt this is about gold coast securing the mates rowell and anderson. Two weeks ago carlton were bottom so they would have as much right to a priority pick as gold coast. Carlton now have new coach and all of a sudden are reasonably competitive.

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are being softened up for this. Get used to it.

Gold Coast will use next month's AFL Commission meeting to pitch for special access to the No.1 pick

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-08...ound-gorilla-on-this-suns-to-ask-for-no1-pick

“If Cochrane's pitch is successful, the club would receive the first two picks in the 2019 national draft.”

"I'm not asking for Tony Cochrane, or the Suns, but the tens of thousands of juniors playing the games on the Coast.
"We want to keep them playing, want them to be rusted on to AFL via the Gold Coast as we continue to try to develop a footy side in an NRL heartland."

The way things are shaping up, they'll become Brisbane fans, so we're all good there thanks, Tony.

earlsta

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
76ers
Don't think either have exactly set the world on fire as yet, and it must be remembered Tim English was an over ager/19 year old in his draft year.

It would seem since Pyke's been at the Crows he places quite a bit of emphasis on speed, athleticism, endurance and skills above most other traits, at least that's what it looks like on paper. Fogarty the only real outlier with our early/mid draft picks. Don't know if it's all down to Pyke but that seems to be the theme. Going to be very interesting what path we take this draft with some relatively early picks.
It is the theme.
I remember Hamish saying a year or so ago in an interview that Pyke wanted speed from the draft.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
We need a big solid one on one defender, who can we get?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are a number of tall defenders that should be around for your later picks and a couple of them are SA products as well.

Finlay and Hilder from SA
Pasini from WA
De Koning from Vic Country.

Those four options look solid denders at AFL level.
McAsey if he drifts to your second round Carlton pick could be an option.

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
Pick 2 won't help them.

I think the AFL need to introduce a system across the comp where any team in the bottom 3 for 5 years running activates 2 things;

- a salary cap increase
- pick 10 and 20 for 2 consecutive drafts that can only be used to trade experienced players into the club.

Benefits
- they get their young blood through existing picks, and experienced leaders via compensation at the same time
- more money will attract experienced players
- they can trade the future picks also in the current year meaning potentially 4 experienced players coming in at once
- the bottom 9 clubs are not punished in the first round
- the top 9 clubs have a chance to move up in the draft order (eg. West Coast last year could have landed pick 10 which might have helped them get Tim Kelly)
- all clubs have the ability to rebuild faster with 4 picks on offer in two consecutive drafts - eg. we could trade Laird and Jenkins for 10 and 20 and go to the draft with 2 firsts, and 3 second rounders.

Cons
- rewarding poorly run clubs

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 2 won't help them.

I think the AFL need to introduce a system across the comp where any team in the bottom 3 for 5 years running activates 2 things;

- a salary cap increase
- pick 10 and 20 for 2 consecutive drafts that can only be used to trade experienced players into the club.

Benefits
- they get their young blood through existing picks, and experienced leaders via compensation at the same time
- they can trade the future picks also in the current year meaning potentially 4 experienced players coming in at once
- the top 9 clubs have a chance to move up in the draft order (eg. West Coast last year could have landed pick 10 which might have helped them get Tim Kelly)
- all clubs have the ability to rebuild faster with 4 picks on offer in two consecutive drafts - eg. we could trade Laird and Jenkins for 10 and 20 and go to the draft with 2 firsts, and 3 second rounders.

Cons

If a club warrants a priority pick, it’s end of 1st round, simple as that. Gives some assistance without simply providing a massive reward for being s**t.

Gold Coast need to climb their way out of this, they can’t simply rely on AFL handouts. They’ve squandered enough 1st rounders and draft concessions as it is. Where’s the assurance they won’t squander it again?

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
If a club warrants a priority pick, it’s end of 1st round, simple as that. Gives some assistance without simply providing a massive reward for being s**t.

Gold Coast need to climb their way out of this, they can’t simply rely on AFL handouts. They’ve squandered enough 1st rounders and draft concessions as it is. Where’s the assurance they won’t squander it again?

The AFL has to find a way to give them an advantage without damaging other struggling clubs. I see this as a way to do that.

They will be locking in 4 experienced players for 4-5 years on good money while they continue to draft with their existing picks. Picks outside the first round are not going to get them the players they need.

I don't like handouts either but I'm talking bottom 3 for 5 years. I've just checked and Carlton and GC wouldn't even trigger this (2016 they both finished above 16th and in 2014 they were 12th & 13th).

Sidthehat

All Australian
Oct 7, 2017
London
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 2 won't help them.

- a salary cap increase

Benefits

Cons
Agree on this. Especially salary cap.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Ive read this book before

Your ideas are sound , its how clubs execute them that irks me. The bottom 3? clubs had access to mature age players and mostly traded them out or added them as steak knives to a deal

Clubs dont want mature players .

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
IMO Sam Flanders>>>Caleb Serong if we wanted a mid/forward type but you'd take the bigger mid/forward Noah Anderson if still there before both and probably the bigger mid/utility Brodie Kemp as well. Lachlan Ash though pegged more as a running back I can see transitioning into a midfielder quite easily if the club chose that path, good size, good speed, agility, composure and plenty of dare to take the game on.....a genuine metres gained footballer. Even with pick 3 in this draft there is going to be a wealth of talent available to us, Hamish and his crew will have quite a dilemma methinks when it's time to set their final draft board order.
Have you seen much of Brodie Kemp Bicks? I'll admit i've only seen limited action but i'm totally intrigued by him. I noticed he played well in the final as well as against the Vic Metro knock out game, so he seems to like the big stage.

From what i'm reading he's a Ex key position player transitioning to the midfield which is pretty unique. But at 192cm and 82kg as a 17 year old, if he can make that transition he could be a beast inside.

What are you thoughts on his playing style, speed, agility? He seems to be written up well on his skills from what i've seen. Is that what you are seeing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Have you seen much of Brodie Kemp Bicks? I'll admit i've only seen limited action but i'm totally intrigued by him. I noticed he played well in the final as well as against the Vic Metro knock out game, so he seems to like the big stage.

From what i'm reading he's a Ex key position player transitioning to the midfield which is pretty unique. But at 192cm and 82kg as a 17 year old, if he can make that transition he could be a beast inside.

What are you thoughts on his playing style, speed, agility? He seems to be written up well on his skills from what i've seen. Is that what you are seeing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Utility, never really been settled in one position, has played key defence/interceptor , key forward where he's done well, can certainly kick a clutch goal as we saw during the Championships. You would think the Bendigo Pioneers will give him plenty of midfield minutes when his Geelong Grammar footy commitments don't intervene to give recruiters more of a look a at his capabilities in the engine room with regard to consistent production. Athletically he's the full package especially his elite acceleration a standout attribute. A lot of the highly rated Victorian lads will play limited NAB League games due to school footy commitments until the APS footy season concludes early August but they'll be back for the last couple of NAB League games usually and the Finals. His size and athleticism is what makes him a pretty unique prospect.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ive read this book before

Your ideas are sound , its how clubs execute them that irks me. The bottom 3? clubs had access to mature age players and mostly traded them out or added them as steak knives to a deal

Clubs dont want mature players
Its simple, the AFL does not allow the mature age players to be traded - they have to take them

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Utility, never really been settled in one position, has played key defence/interceptor , key forward where he's done well, can certainly kick a clutch goal as we saw during the Championships. You would think the Bendigo Pioneers will give him plenty of midfield minutes when his Geelong Grammar footy commitments don't intervene to give recruiters more of a look a at his capabilities in the engine room with regard to consistent production. Athletically he's the full package especially his elite acceleration a standout attribute. A lot of the highly rated Victorian lads will play limited NAB League games due to school footy commitments until the APS footy season concludes early August but they'll be back for the last couple of NAB League games usually and the Finals. His size and athleticism is what makes him a pretty unique prospect.

Wow, yeah their is a lot too like in that package. 6'3", big bodied frame with elite acceleration is a very enticing package, dare I say it, very Dangerfield-esk.

I really like that he had a standout game as a midfielder in the championships too. Like you said, hopefully his coaches give him a good look as a engine room player from here on out!

I have no doubt this is about gold coast securing the mates rowell and anderson. Two weeks ago carlton were bottom so they would have as much right to a priority pick as gold coast. Carlton now have new coach and all of a sudden are reasonably competitive.

I will give you the heads up here and IMO, if Carlton didnt exchange draft picks with us, not only would Bolton still be coaching but they would be tanking at full throttle.

The only reason they have this desire to win is to not look foolish for giving away a potential pick 1.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Gold Coast already have first dibs on their outstanding Academy prospect Connor Budarick who could even be rated a 1st - 2nd round prospect and several others that most certainly look draftable in the freakishly quick New Guinean mid/pressure forward Hewago Paul Oea along with clever forward prospect Josh Gore. Even inside mid Ashton Crossley brother of their current forward Brayden also goes alright.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Listened to the latest Road to the Draft podcast . They had an interview with Tom Green. Wow. Focussed, mature, ready, competitive. As Cal was speaking to him I felt ''old head'' and after Cal said '19 going on 30'' and I have to agree.

Not sure how much is media training and how much is him but boy he speaks well. And sure that doesnt guarantee a good player but its what he said that intrigued me

If we bid on him what is the process , how much will it cost us and will Giants match?

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Whatever we do..we must not draft jeremy sharp..it says he plays like jasper pittard. Poor bugger

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
Listened to the latest Road to the Draft podcast . They had an interview with Tom Green. Wow. Focussed, mature, ready, competitive. As Cal was speaking to him I felt ''old head'' and after Cal said '19 going on 30'' and I have to agree.

Not sure how much is media training and how much is him but boy he speaks well. And sure that doesnt guarantee a good player but its what he said that intrigued me

If we bid on him what is the process , how much will it cost us and will Giants match?

Another quality GWS academy player. Every year they seems to be one. Be dumb not to match any bid

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gould at our second pick would be great imo. Doedee/Gould/McPherson is a very classy group of medium defenders, with plenty of others like Butts/Hamill/Scholl showing plenty at this stage.

Absolute best case for our second would be a Gould/Taheny/Stephens type. All SA lads I rate quite highly. Stephens will take time but he is class.
Prefer Day

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really like this guy but he might be a stretch at our pick.

8. FISCHER MCASEY

Clubs:
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Position: Key Defender

Size: 195cm, 86kg

Bio: McAsey was one of a number of players who pushed their draft credentials during the Under 18 Championships, intercepting at will in the defensive half of the ground. The key defender averaged 6.5 marks during the carnival as he locked down his spot as the best tall in the draft pool. McAsey has the ability to play up forward, but his strong work in the air down back means it will be the position AFL recruiters will likely be expecting him to play at the next level.
I’d trade our first pick to grab him and a Serong or Flanders type ..... also consider others with a bit more speed Ash but he will prob go early

Would be great to have a dangerous mid/fwd like a Robbie Gray on the list and Mcasey is a gun and in a position of need

Speed is a concern though

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d trade our first pick to grab him and a Serong or Flanders type ..... also consider others with a bit more speed Ash but he will prob go early

Would be great to have a dangerous mid/fwd like a Robbie Gray on the list and Mcasey is a gun and in a position of need

I like Lachie Ash also although I hope he can become a midfielder instead of another HBF.
I did look at GWS two first rounders and wondered if a deal could get done there. Not a fan of helping them with more top draft picks though as they also have Green as an academy pick

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I haven't seen him play but from the description he sounds similar to Butts, is he more capable of locking down an opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back