Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great Hamish interview - some interesting points:

[] When we make academy/FS bids, we have every intention of wanting to take the player bid on

[] We had Will Hamill in our top 20 rankings last year, made several attempts to trade up to get him but got him anyway

[] The way the bLoos pick swap looks like turning out is about how they though it would turn out

[] Luke Edwards is tracking really well but sounded to me to be a bit cagy about talking about him - maybe gels with the not everything is quite right with the Edwards situation?

[] He thinks the 2020 draft is looking promising

Also it sounds like he's definitely living and working out of Melbourne, which I think is good for us in that there's no leaving us to move back to Melb as he's already there, only a matter of keeping things sweet for him to stay with us. But I have to wonder if it means he doesn't get as good a read of SA draft hopefuls as he does the Vic kids?
All the heads are in Melbourne including the Perth ones

Why do you think that?? An elite, bullocking big bodied inside mid. Which players do you think would complement our list ??
We would have to trade one or two crouches to accommodate Green

He’s another slow ball hunter , we have no shortage of those

He may be better than the crouches but he may not be

Brad being judged harshly after a very good season off back of missing a whole season

Will only get better , build aidfield around the crouches , guys that get the ball like they do don’t grow on trees

I would think because if you can't land Green at 3, which seems unlikely as GWS would surely match, then the next group of guys expected to go high in the draft order are all flankers.
Lachie Ash has spent a little bit of time in the mids recently by accounts but yeah, doesn't seem like much on offer.

Ogilvie says we'll be targeting tall mids or outside class, last thing we need are more flankers.

Luko still my first preference for pick 4 + Greenwood

Lachie Ash has spent a little bit of time in the mids recently by accounts but yeah, doesn't seem like much on offer.

Ogilvie says we'll be targeting tall mids or outside class, last thing we need are more flankers.

Ash is exactly what we need.

Lachie Ash is the very personification of outside class and a metres gained player, and if you've ever seen him play he has plenty of hardness to his game as well.

Lachie Ash is the very personification of outside class and a metres gained player, and if you've ever seen him play he has plenty of hardness to his game as well.
I like the sound of him but haven't seen enough to really comment. Is he worth more to us than Luko or two of Stephens et al. in your view?

I like the sound of him but haven't seen enough to really comment. Is he worth more to us than Luko or two of Stephens et al. in your view?
Luko probably not but we could really use Ash's line breaking speed, agility and dare, he's the metres gained guy in this draft. He's a quicker, harder Brodie Smith IMO. And he's a Vic Country boy from up Shepparton from the same club as Jordan Butts.

Luko probably not but we could really use Ash's line breaking speed, agility and dare, he's the metres gained guy in this draft. He's a quicker, harder Brodie Smith IMO. And he's a Vic Country boy from up Shepparton from the same club as Jordan Butts.
What range would he have gone in last year’s draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What range would he have gone in last year’s draft?
That all gets down to personal preferences, put this way IMO he's a far quicker and more damaging player than Jordan Clark in the same role Clark played pre-draft and you've seen what Clark's capable of this year. Then again the player I would have taken apart from Lukosius with my pick last year was Bailey Smith and he went Pick 7. I still think Bailey Smith is a better footballer than last year's No.1 Sam Walsh because of his hurt factor something Ash has in spades.

That all gets down to personal preferences, put this way IMO he's a far quicker and more damaging player than Jordan Clark in the same role Clark played pre-draft and you've seen what Clark's capable of this year. Then again the player I would have taken apart from Lukosius with my pick last year was Bailey Smith and he went Pick 7. I still think Bailey Smith is a better footballer than last year's No.1 Sam Walsh because of his hurt factor something Ash has in spades.
I remember you saying that throughout last year about Smith and I totally agree with you. You were bang on the money. Dogs are building some sort of midfield if they can keep them together.

The Vic Country part was what got me interested in him in the first place ;)

No it's not!!! There's plenty of talent in this year's draft.

There will be very good players like Jay Rantall, Cooper Stephens, Riley Baldi, Elijah Taylor, Daniel Mott, Thomas Dow, Josh Worrell,Cody Weightman, Ned Cahill, Karl Finlay etc just to name a few off the top of my head who are unlikely to go in the 1st round or in some cases later in the draft that have every chance to have very good AFL careers.

From around these parts there's a Mortlake youngster Isaac Wareham that has hardly rated a mention in draft discussions but believe me he can really play and similar to Jordan Butts in his draft year with a very late December birthday [Christmas Eve] he's giving away almost 12 months development to a lot of the lads in this draft.....Isaac likely goes late National Draft-rookie draft. Would be an ideal option for us on a wing/outside mid with his height [187cm], speed, vision and good foot skills.
Going by the expert/recruiters, it is (from what I've read).

I won’t be surprised if we trade for pick value.

Binuk’s system values each pick. If we are offered a trade which gives a clear win in pick value we will take it. No emotional attachment to “but it would have been our highest pick ever”.

For example pick 4 for 10 + 13 + 20.

If there was a star top 8 like last year’s draft then maybe not. But it seems this year that after the top 2 opinions differ. If recruiters aren’t locked in then more tickets in the raffle is better.

Hey Bicks I have a bit of a curly one for you. Where do you think Hately would go in this years draft?

I won’t be surprised if we trade for pick value.

Binuk’s system values each pick. If we are offered a trade which gives a clear win in pick value we will take it. No emotional attachment to “but it would have been our highest pick ever”.

For example pick 4 for 10 + 13 + 20.

If there was a star top 8 like last year’s draft then maybe not. But it seems this year that after the top 2 opinions differ. If recruiters aren’t locked in then more tickets in the raffle is better.
I've said for a while that their is a nice batch of guys in the 10-15 range that I like. Brodie Kemp (if he slides that far), Dylan Stephens, Sam Flanders, Will Gould, Luke Jackson.

Positioning ourselves in that range would get us some quality lads in for sure.

Having said that i'm still 100% team Luko all the way!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back