Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be as happy as a pig in s**t with either Serong, Ash or Kemp (even accounting for the injury) with our first. Stephens maybe a chance to elevate himself to this group.

Will Day or Mitch O'Neill with our second.

Talls with our remaining picks.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Do you have any stats for how Serong and Flanders went? I can't seem to find anything but heard they were good again.
I watched the stream today, both were good but not quite as good as last week, Serong the better of the two today IMO, last week IMO they had slightly the better of the "big" two Rowell and Anderson.

Serong : 27 disposals - 14 kicks - 13 handballs - 4 marks - 5 tackles - 1.2

Flanders : 18 disposals - 11 kicks - 7 handballs - 4 marks - 7 tackles - 1.0

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
All pends on the Edwards situation really.

If we looked to trade it this year, we really would want a big, big reward for it as it represents a significant risk.

If it were the piece involved for Luko, I'd take him and run, if not, I Just don't see any high enough value picks for this draft that suit our needs.

We've already got plenty of talent in the reserves that need significant AFL game time next year in Jones, McHenry, Fog, McAdam, Berg, McPherson*, Gooch, Stengle and Davis.

Then on top of that (pending trades) we have our Pick 3, and pick ~20 from next year most likely looking to get at minimum a taste of AFL football. Potentially more if some of the high profile trades being touted happen.

2020 draft Edwards looks like a top 10 imo should we get access to him, Borlase maybe mid draft. Butts, Hamill and Scholl will all be demanding game time by then.

That's a lot of youth to run through in the 2020 season, and another 4 almost definitely needing a good run at it in 2021. Imo, we shouldn't be stocking up on picks this year anymore than we already have. I'd be open to trading 3 for a two mid-high firsts to pick up a Gould/Stephens/Flanders/Robertson etc combo, but otherwise we're just stacked for youth.

*Depending on injury
Currently we have more players coming of the rookie list than from the 1st 2 rounds of the draft.
We have an opportunity to change that with 4-6 picks in 1st 2 rounds this year.
That would give a nucleus 13-15 young players that were high draft picks.

Use rookie and lower picks on development type players that will take 2-4 years to develop.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Shute was the one spoken about with SA club interest he didnt name the other 2

Schoenberg name came up saying he's underrated and will be good player. I didn't know which club he plays for as it was in the same converstion so assumed it was Sturt, sorry peeps
Can see Schoenberg being a Neale type player with a bit more speed. Just an all round good player. Like him

Sep 19, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I watched the stream today, both were good but not quite as good as last week, Serong the better of the two today IMO, last week IMO they had slightly the better of the "big" two Rowell and Anderson.

Serong : 27 disposals - 14 kicks - 13 handballs - 4 marks - 5 tackles - 1.2

Flanders : 18 disposals - 11 kicks - 7 handballs - 4 marks - 7 tackles - 1.0
Who are the players you would be keen to take at our first round and second round picks?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Who are the players you would be keen to take at our first round and second round picks?
In order with our 1st
1. Noah Anderson
2. Lachie Ash
3. Brodie Kemp
4. Matt Rowell
5. Caleb Serong
6. Trent Rivers
7. Will Gould
8. Sam Flanders
9. Hayden Young
10. Dylan Stephens

Didn't consider Tom Green GWS Academy.

With our 2nd and 3rd picks I'm looking at mainly Talls, outside mids and players with big upside.
Didn't consider Liam Henry Fremantle NGA.

1. Fischer McAsey [doubt he's still there but]
2. Will Day
3. Jay Rantall
4. Mitch O'Neill
5. Trent Bianco
6. Josh Worrell
7. Elijah Taylor
8. Charlie Comben
9. Sam De Koning
10. Cooper Stephens
11. Dylan Williams
12. Fraser Phillips
13. Riley Baldi

Some players I really like with late/rookie picks
Brady Rowles, Isaac Wareham, Josh Shute, Malcolm Rosas......

*Flynn Perez [Bendigo Pioneers] is really hard to get a feel for where he goes after doing an ACL prior to the season start but was very good last year, IMO was a 1st round /2nd round prospect coming into the 2019 season and has still got an AFL National Combine invite so clearly he is well and truly on recruiters radars. You would certainly still consider him if our medico's are confident his knee recovery is on track.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
*Flynn Perez [Bendigo Pioneers] is really hard to get a feel for where he goes after doing an ACL prior to the season start but was very good last year, IMO was a 1st round /2nd round prospect coming into the 2019 season and has still got an AFL National Combine invite so clearly he is well and truly on recruiters radars. You would certainly still consider him if our medico's are confident his knee recovery is on track.
Nice list. Just on the bolded I figure if you are going to gamble on a reco player then Kemp is the one. Having 2 on your list wouldnt be ideal nor smart. (even for a 2nd rounder)

On Kemp , I like him (also Ash) and I think a year out will help with fitness building , structure/game plan education and just inserting himself into the club culture. Allow him frequent trips home ie fly him in to Melbourne when there are games there.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will Gould has a lot of development in him. I hate the talk of man child, they won’t get better. That’s BS. Thing is about solid young men is they know how to use their body. Look at Fog

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fog ? He’s played one good game so far don’t get carried away

Gould is a good player and there are many others in this draft too

Just saying he hasn’t got as much upside as some and he’s a half back flanker so he’s not a top 5 or top 10 in my book

I rate him

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Nice list. Just on the bolded I figure if you are going to gamble on a reco player then Kemp is the one. Having 2 on your list wouldnt be ideal nor smart. (even for a 2nd rounder)

On Kemp , I like him (also Ash) and I think a year out will help with fitness building , structure/game plan education and just inserting himself into the club culture. Allow him frequent trips home ie fly him in to Melbourne when there are games there.
Thing is Flynn is a lot further down the track than Kemp with his recovery having copped the ACL before Christmas last year....I'll be very interested to see if he takes any part in the Draft Combine testing to get an idea where he's at....can really play, played the running defender last year but was a certainty to move into the midfield this season in his top age year with his hardness at the contest always evident. Big bodied mid Cooper Stephens is another that would have almost certainly been a 1st rounder but for a fractured fibula in round 2 of the NAB League and not playing since but seems to have dropped down the boards, word is he may be able to test at the Combine.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Shute Mcentee and Grivell I suspect
Pushing the proverbial up the hill if they're not invited to the National combine though and Shute is the only Sturt kid invited. I don't mind him, very outside but nice skills and size.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

A bit more on Flynn Perez.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
In order with our 1st
1. Noah Anderson
2. Lachie Ash
3. Brodie Kemp
4. Matt Rowell
5. Caleb Serong
6. Trent Rivers
7. Will Gould
8. Sam Flanders
9. Hayden Young
10. Dylan Stephens

Didn't consider Tom Green GWS Academy.

With our 2nd and 3rd picks I'm looking at mainly Talls, outside mids and players with big upside.
Didn't consider Liam Henry Fremantle NGA.

1. Fischer McAsey [doubt he's still there but]
2. Will Day
3. Jay Rantall
4. Mitch O'Neill
5. Trent Bianco
6. Josh Worrell
7. Elijah Taylor
8. Charlie Comben
9. Sam De Koning
10. Cooper Stephens
11. Dylan Williams
12. Fraser Phillips
13. Riley Baldi

Some players I really like with late/rookie picks
Brady Rowles, Isaac Wareham, Josh Shute, Malcolm Rosas......

Looking forward to Faith shuffling those same names randomly, with a couple he’s screenscraped from elsewhere, claiming as his own and pretending he even knows what gender those players are 🤣

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fog ? He’s played one good game so far don’t get carried away

Gould is a good player and there are many others in this draft too

Just saying he hasn’t got as much upside as some and he’s a half back flanker so he’s not a top 5 or top 10 in my book

I rate him

I meant that bigger bodied players have as much upside as others. Plus he is an awesome kick. Fog is a good one on one player and knows how to use his body. They are similar in many ways

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Haven't seen gould do alot today.. Stephens clearly the best SA lad.
But will he be down the track?

I have a sneaky feeling Will Day might be a pretty special player in 3 or 4 years time.

Last edited:

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
But will he be down the track?

I have a sneaky feeling Will Day might be a pretty special player in 3 or 4 years time.
Regarding Will Gould, is there any concern that his size might mean he struggles to find a role at the next level. 191cm certainly isn't short, but if he is seen as a KPD (which I've seen him written up as quite a lot) it is giving away 4-9 cm's to a large percentage AFL Key Forwards.

Do you think his skills/ball reading will allow him to overcome that, or is he destined to be a 3rd tall at AFL level?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ive heard a lot about Gould - since back when he was in Yr 9. Have to say, nothing impressed me about him yesterday. He's an undersized key defender.
What other role does he play? What role can he play at AFL level?
I have a feeling he might slide come draft time.
Looks very much a slightly taller Shannon Hurn to me and that would be his role at AFL level with perhaps some clubs looking at him as having midfield potential. He won't be slipping too far...

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I seem to see people rating Stephens in the top 5 in here a bit lately. Surely thats the SA bias coming through right?

I've had him in the 10-18 range and still think that's about right

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Elite - Just of interest which game was that ?
Rostrevor v Sacred Heart Intercol.

I don’t watch any junior footy so I was taking the piss about that part.

But he was the clear standout, was cleaning up in defence, took some great marks, made really good decisions with good disposal. I didn’t know who he was so asked one of the local lads.

He didn’t win the medal though which I and others thought was rubbish.

I could see him easily being a quality afl player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back