Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Gould is not a comparison to Hurn, hurn was a gun mid, Gould is a very good kid.

And Stephens is a definite top 10, probably top 7.
Hurn wasn't a mid playing for Centrals though

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think Gould has been as good as Hurn, and Hurn played in one of the greatest sides in the recent history of the SANFL.

Neither won the MVP in their U18 year mind you, not that this means much.

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
I think Gould has been as good as Hurn, and Hurn played in one of the greatest sides in the recent history of the SANFL.

Neither won the MVP in their U18 year mind you, not that this means much.

No where near Hurn imo, and the fact Hurn played in that gun centrals team as a 16yo says a lot.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the issue with Gould is he had an adult's body last year and hasn't improved much this year, so he could be close to his ceiling and made to look good due to his early development like Powell-pepper.

Oct 7, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kemp looking the goods, but wary of the ACL. Has anyone looked into ACL injuries, and rate/chances of reinjuring again? Would we only get a good 2/3 years out of him before reinjuring?
Definitely a risk. A genetic trait in some, just bad luck in others.

I'd definitely be checking out family history. If there is none, I'd be much less concerned.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Regarding Will Gould, is there any concern that his size might mean he struggles to find a role at the next level. 191cm certainly isn't short, but if he is seen as a KPD (which I've seen him written up as quite a lot) it is giving away 4-9 cm's to a large percentage AFL Key Forwards.

Do you think his skills/ball reading will allow him to overcome that, or is he destined to be a 3rd tall at AFL level?

Not a comment on Gould specifically - havent seen anything of him outside highlights, but Rutten went ok at around this height. Key Forwards have been trending taller, but dont think the height is prohibitive for the right guy.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not a comment on Gould specifically - havent seen anything of him outside highlights, but Rutten went ok at around this height. Key Forwards have been trending taller, but dont think the height is prohibitive for the right guy.
Yeah I’m not writing him off due to it. There are a plenty of examples of guys who are very good key defenders at this height.

I, like you have only seen Gould in some highlights, so am just feeling out what kind of player he will be.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Kemp looking the goods, but wary of the ACL. Has anyone looked into ACL injuries, and rate/chances of reinjuring again? Would we only get a good 2/3 years out of him before reinjuring?

Actually statistically more likely to do the other side than the same one, but yeah, certainly increased risk, I'm not sure on the exact numbers though.

Norwood Crow

Debutant
Aug 15, 2008
Toorak Gardens
AFL Club
Adelaide
Definitely a risk. A genetic trait in some, just bad luck in others.

I'd definitely be checking out family history. If there is none, I'd be much less concerned.
Checking family history would only help if family members play competitive sports seriously. So only sketchy there. There is a definite risk see Lever, Fitzy, and a whole host of others

Norwood Crow

Debutant
Aug 15, 2008
Toorak Gardens
AFL Club
Adelaide
Checking family history would only help if family members play competitive sports seriously. So only sketchy there. There is a definite risk see Lever, Fitzy, and a whole host of others
Probably would be best to check out the the initial incident. If it was under severe trauma and would have happened to most under similar circumstances then not likely to be genetic. If it was quite innocuous then you would be worried.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
[/QUOTE]
Alex Johnson (6), Docherty, Otten, David Schwartz, Clay Smith, Rehn are a few with multiple

There's plenty with just one like Walker, Burgoyne, Brodie Smith,

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Those who have watched him, would I be right in saying Serong plays like a Hunter Clark from his draft year? Smaller but quicker?
In short no.

Somewhat different with Serong transitioning from a forward/mid in his under age year to more a mid/forward this season.
Hunter Clark was outstanding as an attacking half back in his under age year for the Dandenong Stingrays and played almost all of his draft year up to and including the Championships across half back, immediately after the Championships he moved into the midfield and absolutely starred in there for what was left of the season.

As you know Hunter Clark was my preference for our pick a long way out from the draft but unfortunately his stellar back end of the season in the midfield put him out of reach with our pick even though we had been strongly linked to him. Both attack the contest with vigour and hardness but not really similar players on what I saw up close. IMO as mids Caleb the better of the two inside the contest, Hunter the better outside the contest. Whilst they are both efficient kicks I'd have Hunter ahead because he is one of the few footballers that is genuinely dual sided. Serong is seriously good overhead for someone of his height, quicker and better acceleration than Hunter Clark, both good tacklers and thrive on the tough stuff. No question Serong the one likely to have more scoreboard impact.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
In short no.

Somewhat different with Serong transitioning from a forward/mid in his under age year to more a mid/forward this season.
Hunter Clark was outstanding as an attacking half back in his under age year for the Dandenong Stingrays and played almost all of his draft year up to and including the Championships across half back, immediately after the Championships he moved into the midfield and absolutely starred in there for what was left of the season.

As you know Hunter Clark was my preference for our pick a long way out from the draft but unfortunately his stellar back end of the season in the midfield put him out of reach with our pick even though we had been strongly linked to him. Both attack the contest with vigour and hardness but not really similar players on what I saw up close. IMO as mids Caleb the better of the two inside the contest, Hunter the better outside the contest. Whilst they are both efficient kicks I'd have Hunter ahead because he is one of the few footballers that is genuinely dual sided. Serong is seriously good overhead for someone of his height, quicker and better acceleration than Hunter Clark, both good tacklers and thrive on the tough stuff. No question Serong the one likely to have more scoreboard impact.
Question: do we need yet another undersized player at 178cm ....we recruited a number of mid-sized runners last draft ....forget this Draft for Talent rubbish, needs are most definitely factored in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back