Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Magor is a great little player, you don't win those two awards in the Under 18's for being average. He's got a hard as nails approach to his footy, strong pound for pound type, wouldn't call him polished by any stretch but he can read the play well, do a job and play a role, midfield or back as seen in the champs. Can win big numbers when played through the middle.

He's got that Laird type feel to him minus the strong overhead ability. I was big on Lairdy in his draft year and was staggered he went so late for someone of his ilk. Magor probably goes late to rookie like Lairdy did. Don't project him to become as good as Lairdy as he's not as talented but he could surprise a few. The testing was fantastic and will definitely help his cause.

Hutchesson should surely get picked up, been solid all year and looks AFL like, didn't really look like a top up, you only need to watch him for a minute to see that.

But overall, hopefully we can just get some damn trades done and get some more good picks, plenty of potential to nab good players in the second round this draft still so with Keath, Greenwood etc waiting to be traded, I'm excited for what we can get back. I don't want players, unless from say 2018 draft (like a Hately) but picks first and foremost.

Trigger13

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure if anyone cares, but I think you’ll find that Port are looking to manoeuvre into the top 10 (5 or 7). The two players they are keen on are Ash and Serong.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Not sure if anyone cares, but I think you’ll find that Port are looking to manoeuvre into the top 10 (5 or 7). The two players they are keen on are Ash and Serong.
So who was it Jason Cripps or Chris Davies that informed you of their draft strategy?

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
They'd have to give up 2 firsts and a 2nd to get high enough maybe even 3 firsts. Which is insane for an undrafted player.

They need a refresh as much as we do, they can't afford to give all those picks away....

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Haven't been following the draft as much as I have in previous years, haven't had the time for it, but gee, there seems to be some mids (after going over some taped games) that stand out as potential bargains in the 2nd to early 3rd round. Talking about the likes of Stephens, Chirgwin, Dow, Byrnes, Philp and your boy Rantall Bicks

I'm really hoping we can get that Bulldogs pick, too. McAsey would be a great get as a future KPD, but I'm really, really warming to Miles Bergman with an early to mid teens pick. I know he's a low accumulator, but gee he has some gamebreaking traits. Gains a lot of meterage, good overhead and athletically as well as an attacking player on the ball and on the tackle. Can really see him developing into something special

In regards to pick 4 (or maybe pick 6 if we trade down), would be happy with any of Flanders/Serong/Ash/Kemp/Young

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Haven't been following the draft as much as I have in previous years, haven't had the time for it, but gee, there seems to be some mids (after going over some taped games) that stand out as potential bargains in the 2nd to early 3rd round. Talking about the likes of Stephens, Chirgwin, Dow, Byrnes, Philp and your boy Rantall Bicks

I'm really hoping we can get that Bulldogs pick, too. McAsey would be a great get as a future KPD, but I'm really, really warming to Miles Bergman with an early to mid teens pick. I know he's a low accumulator, but gee he has some gamebreaking traits. Gains a lot of meterage, good overhead and athletically as well as an attacking player on the ball and on the tackle. Can really see him developing into something special

In regards to pick 4 (or maybe pick 6 if we trade down), would be happy with any of Flanders/Serong/Ash/Kemp/Young
Thompson Dow is a beauty, has that acceleration from the contest we badly need in our midfield....better kick than brother Paddy by a fair margin on what I've seen.....and from up Mildura way so not much likelihood to want to head back to the "big smoke". Had a few niggles this season and hasn't played a lot so might have slipped down the boards a bit. Riley Baldi is another that probably goes in the back half of the draft but rarely if ever plays a poor game and outshone his bigger name teammates Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders quite often. Great accumulator and a goal kicking midfielder.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

I just realised you were referring to Cooper not Dylan, as you know I've been on the Cooper Stephens train for 2 years. Reckon he was lock for the back half of the 1st round before fracturing his Fibula in the 2nd round of the NAB League this season...think he still goes mid - late 2nd round.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Thompson Dow is a beauty, has that acceleration from the contest we badly need in our midfield....better kick than brother Paddy by a fair margin on what I've seen.....and from up Mildura way so not much likelihood to want to head back to the "big smoke". Had a few niggles this season and hasn't played a lot so might have slipped down the boards a bit. Riley Baldi is another that probably goes in the back half of the draft but rarely if ever plays a poor game and outshone his bigger name teammates Caleb Serong and Sam Flanders quite often. Great accumulator and a goal kicking midfielder.
Yep Baldi’s another, smaller type but effective, more than held his own in the Champs too which is always a positive

And yes was referring to Cooper, could be a bargain in a similar way Worpel is turning out to be. Shame he wasn’t able to show some exposed form but I don’t think it hurts his draft stock massively, as you’ve said. Dylan of course likely to go mid 1st round, although I’m not as big on him as some here seem to be (i.e. wouldn’t put him in the Kemp/Serong/Young/Flanders/Ash class)

Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now we turn our attention to the draft.

So we’ve lost

Douglas
Otten
Keath
Jenkins
Greenwood
Jacobs
Betts
Ellis-Yolman (rookie listed)
Hunter (rookie listed)

Gained:
Billy Frampton

We went into 2019 one list spot short. Taking into consideration these changes there will be 7 list spots, and two rookie spots.

Assuming we upgrade Butts and Murphy from the rookie list, that means we will have 5 senior list spots and four rookie spots.

Which means we go into the draft with five live picks: 4, 23, 28, 37, 45. We will then have pick 49 (CEY compo) as a surplus to needs.

This means we simply must try to bundle up some picks and move up the draft order.

So we’ve lost

Douglas
Otten
Keath
Jenkins
Greenwood
Jacobs
Betts
Hunter (rookie listed)

Gained:
Billy Frampton

We went into 2019 one list spot short. Taking into consideration these changes there will be 7 list spots, and two rookie spots.

Assuming we upgrade Butts and Murphy from the rookie list, that means we will have 5 senior list spots and four rookie spots.

Which means we go into the draft with five live picks: 4, 23, 28, 37, 45. We will then have pick 49 (CEY compo) as a surplus to needs.

This means we simply must try to bundle up some picks and move up the draft order.

I don't think we'll upgrade Butts and take all six picks to the draft

Oct 1, 2011
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Celtics, Team Vodafone

So we’ve lost

Douglas
Otten
Keath
Jenkins
Greenwood
Jacobs
Betts
Hunter (rookie listed)

Gained:
Billy Frampton

37 + 45 + 49 --(Fremantle)-> 22 + 58 gives Fremantle an extra 102 points for Henry Academy bid and gives us an extra pick inside 30

6 of the GF team gone right there.

Ash/Kemp/Serong/Flanders with pick 4 please.

Need to draft two KPD's.

A few more SA kids would be good (Gould, Day, Schute, Schoenberg, Finlay, etc).

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

So we’ve lost

Douglas
Otten
Keath
Jenkins
Greenwood
Jacobs
Betts
Hunter (rookie listed)

Gained:
Billy Frampton

You realise there will be plenty of interaction between clubs now and up to and including draft night around their current picks....don't be banking on us using the picks as they stand tonight.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

So we’ve lost

Douglas
Otten
Keath
Jenkins
Greenwood
Jacobs
Betts
Hunter (rookie listed)

Gained:
Billy Frampton

Things will change but I think we would use pick 49, I think that would be too high to drop out. I think we will keep Butts as a Rookie and just upgrade Murphy.

That leaves six Senior spots and three Rookie? I think we will take one mature age player.

You realise there will be plenty of interaction between clubs now and up to and including draft night around their current picks....don't be banking on us using the picks as they stand tonight.
Yeah absolutely. I don’t think our draft hand is finalised yet. I’d love to see us approach the clubs in need of points and bundle a few up.

That would make more sense I guess. :)

Six picks in a draft though. We would want to hope they’re not all stuck in the SANFL.
Sorry got the equation wrong. We also had Frampton in.

So that's zero upgrades and all six at the draft. But a bit of flexibility in case we want to merge picks.

There's no advantage to upgrading players any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back