Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
i wonder if there will be a chance to split 4 on draft day. cos 4 is probably too high and our next pick may see him gone.

all depends really. pick 4 really opens up plenty of possibilities.
You're working on the assumption Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvie and his team are of the same opinion as some on this board regarding Gould's talent and skill set, I wouldn't take it for granted they share that opinion.

I'm sure he's in consideration but personally I don't think it would be with a pick inside the top 12 or so and I'm sure Gould wouldn't be the sole consideration if we were to trade down. I think with our current range of picks there's going to be players available at every one of those picks to fill our most pressing needs. I think we'll go best available with pick 4 and then list needs with the rest, likely a couple of mids, a KPD prospect and a Hamish 'special' a project player with big upside.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
You're working on the assumption Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvie and his team are of the same opinion as some on this board regarding Gould's talent and skill set, I wouldn't take it for granted they share that opinion.

I'm sure he's in consideration but personally I don't think it would be with a pick inside the top 12 or so and I'm sure Gould wouldn't be the sole consideration if we were to trade down. I think with our current range of picks there's going to be players available at every one of those picks to fill our most pressing needs. I think we'll go best available with pick 4 and then list needs with the rest, likely a couple of mids, a KPD prospect and a Hamish 'special' a project player with big upside.
yeah im just speculating cos outside of the sanfl kids i dont have a clue this year about who the best options are. i do think we pick wheoever the best available at 4 is, but for mine gould is the best sa talent. but he's not pick 4 good.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
How many spots do we need to fill on the list, will we need to split or combine a pick in a live trade?
Standard club list has 38 to 40 senior players, number of rookies plus senior players cannot be more than 44, and can have up to 3 Cat.B rookies as well so total list size could be up to 47.

After trade period, our senior list has 32 so could draft up to 8 players in the main draft (would mean we can add any rookies).

SENIOR (32): Atkins .. Brown .. CrouchB .. CrouchM .. Davis .. Doedee .. Fogarty .. Frampton .. Gallucci .. Gibbs .. Hamill .. Hartigan .. Himmelberg .. Jones .. Kelly .. Knight .. Laird .. Lynch .. Mackay .. McAdam .. McHenry .. McPherson .. Milera .. O'Brien .. Poholke .. Seedsman .. Sholl .. Sloane .. Smith .. Stengle .. Talia .. Walker

ROOKIES (4): Wilson .. Butts .. Murphy .. Strachan

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
So best case scenario for me assuming that we keep and use all the picks we currently have would be: -

4: Flanders - I like the sound of someone who can play mid/forward, plus I think we’re covered for medium defenders who may become midfielders in the future.

23: Will Day - Mutineer has sold me on his potential and upside.

28: Jay Rantall - Also like that he seems adapt at rotating between the midfield and the forward line and seems like someone who is improving rapidly and will continue to do so.

37: Cam Taheny - Is sliding massively on most phantom drafts. Has question marks over work rate and consistency, but is surely worth a punt on talent alone here.

45: Dyson Hilder - Looks to be underrated still after a strong U’18 championship series. Good size already and looks like he could partner Talia in 2 years time and then replace him in 3-4 years.

49: Harrison Magor - Tested really well at the state combine after a strong season in the under 18’s, just a gut feel based on his highlights but I think he’ll be someone who we’d regret not picking in 3-4 years time.

Don't mind it. I think I'd rather Mitch O'Neill or Schoenberg at 28, but wouldn't hate Rantall.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Port might be lining Gould up at pick 18. If, somehow we keep a top 6 pick and can take that kid that is / will become a top mid in our eyes and manufacture a mid range 1st, I am guessing McAsey at that pick might be one they would be keen on as a good 1st round key position player

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
How many spots do we need to fill on the list, will we need to split or combine a pick in a live trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have 32 on the list at present. That includes Knight. We have 6 picks currently. More likely to use 4 of them and upgrade butts and Murphy. Giving us a senior list once again of 38. We will have Strachan and Wilson left as rookies so 4 rookie picks giving us our quota if 38+6

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
I watched a few highlights clips. Comments on the first few players who seem to be in the mix for our first pick. Sam Flanders or Lachie Ash for me.

Sam Flanders - 182cm/81kg midfielder/forward - won contests and found space when leading up ahead of the ball. I thought his kicking and vision was alright. I liked him.

Lachie Ash - 186cm/80kg running defender. Great agility speed and power to get clear of congestion and uses the ball really well. GWS's Zac Williams would be playing midfield at a different club and Ash could develop into that too. Have Flanders slightly ahead as a natural contest-winner with a top 5 pick but would be quite happy with Ash too.

Hayden Young - 188cm/82kg running defender - classic 'sweeping' half back who covers distance quickly rather than blasting out of congestion. Booming measured left foot kick. Type of skillset most damaging when used as a wingman I think. Prefer Ash as he seemed more comfortable when starting in congestion but Young was good too.

Caleb Serong - 179cm/82kg forward/midfielder - neat player. Doesn't have the physical presence to be an inside mid, I didn't think his ball use was anything special. Looks to move and use the ball intelligently without any particular elite trait other than perhaps work ethic and footy IQ. For me no interest with our top 5 pick.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS

After Signorello and Butts I am starting to think Hamish is reading your posts to decide on his 'Hamish special'. Maybe we should rename it to 'Mutineer special'.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon he plays quite a lot like a bigger version of Daniel Rich personally...maybe a bit better at the contested stuff.

I'm not convinced he goes quite that high or that Port will be all over him at 12.
Okay can see a bit of that with Rich although Gould is a much more capable defender IMO ... definite 65-70 metre player though , tucks , runs and delivers .

Port will be all over him at 18 is what it should have read , 12 might be a little early ... could well be in between those 2 picks .

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
We have 32 on the list at present. That includes Knight. We have 6 picks currently. More likely to use 4 of them and upgrade butts and Murphy. Giving us a senior list once again of 38. We will have Strachan and Wilson left as rookies so 4 rookie picks giving us our quota if 38+6
Assuming we are allowed to keep Butts and Murphy as rookies:

If we upgrade them to the senior list, we take 4 main draft picks and 4 rookie picks, and end up at 38 + 6
If we don't upgrade them to the senior list, we take 6 main draft picks and 2 rookie picks, and end up at 38 + 6

So why not take the 6 main draft picks? We have 2 of the picks much earlier and end up in the same place.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
After Signorello and Butts I am starting to think Hamish is reading your posts to decide on his 'Hamish special'. Maybe we should rename it to 'Mutineer special'.
I have a gut feel his Hamish smoky "special" will be a Calder Cannon this year with a later pick ...one of Jeremy O'Sullivan [193cm athletic high leaping Forward], Brodie Newman [193cm Defender], or maybe a real left field one Sam Ramsay [180cm hard working mid]. Historically we seem to be keen on Calder Cannons....Lachie Sholl last draft again.

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
I watched a few highlights clips. Comments on the first few players who seem to be in the mix for our first pick. Sam Flanders or Lachie Ash for me.

Sam Flanders - 182cm/81kg midfielder/forward - won contests and found space when leading up ahead of the ball. I thought his kicking and vision was alright. I liked him.

Lachie Ash - 186cm/80kg running defender. Great agility speed and power to get clear of congestion and uses the ball really well. GWS's Zac Williams would be playing midfield at a different club and Ash could develop into that too. Have Flanders slightly ahead as a natural contest-winner with a top 5 pick but would be quite happy with Ash too.

Hayden Young - 188cm/82kg running defender - classic 'sweeping' half back who covers distance quickly rather than blasting out of congestion. Booming measured left foot kick. Type of skillset most damaging when used as a wingman I think. Prefer Ash as he seemed more comfortable when starting in congestion but Young was good too.

Caleb Serong - 179cm/82kg forward/midfielder - neat player. Doesn't have the physical presence to be an inside mid, I didn't think his ball use was anything special. Looks to move and use the ball intelligently without any particular elite trait other than perhaps work ethic and footy IQ. For me no interest with our top 5 pick.
We need some height and speed and elite kicking. Attack starts from defence and he can move into the midfield eventually. Ash for me.
Flanders bangs it in the boot too much for my liking rather than using speed , power and agility to break free. Kick looks to floaty to me also, reminds me of Galluci in his style somewhat. We have to many players under 183. The others are too short and don’t have the speed we need

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I'll eat my hat if Kemp falls that far....he's a far better prospect than Lever ever was with versatility, speed and athleticism Jakey Boi could only dream about.
Get him at 4 ??

Cockwomble

All Australian
May 3, 2016
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Whyalla under 9's
We need some height and speed and elite kicking. Attack starts from defence and he can move into the midfield eventually. Ash for me.
Flanders bangs it in the boot too much for my liking rather than using speed , power and agility to break free. Kick looks to floaty to me also, reminds me of Galluci in his style somewhat. We have to many players under 183. The others are too short and don’t have the speed we need
We need players that can take a Darling type grab.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Get him at 4 ??
Before the ACL absolutely but I'm wary now as will most recruiters, I just don't think we can take the required risk with such an early draft pick given we're rejuvenating the list, maybe if we had another reasonably high 1st round pick as well we'd do it i.e Milera and Doedee but not where we sit at this point.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Much as I like Ash, I question whether Hamill or Sholl can fill the rebounding defender role moving forward?

Just think with M. Crouch and Sloane lacking explosive speed, a Flanders type may be the better long term option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

cammo6556

Cancelled
10k Posts Baghdad Bombers - Sweet F.A. BeanCoiNFT Investor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Oct 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Has anyone been able to explain Gould's poor testing at the combine? He looks pretty bloody athletic to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back