Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Much as I like Ash, I question whether Hamill or Sholl can fill the rebounding defender role moving forward?

Just think with M. Crouch and Sloane lacking explosive speed, a Flanders type may be the better long term option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You realise there's several mids that will more than likely be available at our 2nd and 3rd picks that have the required speed and acceleration you're seeking...i.e. the very underrated in my view Thomson Dow who has flown largely under the radar up to now along with SA youngster Harrison Magor just to name two off the top of my head. This is a very good draft for midfield prospects.

Dow in particular has had a few niggles throughout the season so only played limited games for the Pioneers and school footy for Geelong Grammar where he's a boarder, Swan Hill his home town.

Last edited:

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
Much as I like Ash, I question whether Hamill or Sholl can fill the rebounding defender role moving forward?

Just think with M. Crouch and Sloane lacking explosive speed, a Flanders type may be the better long term option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really like Ash, we need players with lateral movement plus takers the game on . We lack run more than any other team especially from defence . I would be drafting Hutchison from the SANFL side also.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Has anyone been able to explain Gould's poor testing at the combine? He looks pretty bloody athletic to me.
He's 6" 1' and 95kgs.

He's never going to be an elite athlete unless he changes his body makeup.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
My favourites (only watched the champs and some players I didn't pick up on)

Pick 4:

Ash

Serong
Flanders
Young

Pick 20s (if still there)

Day
Schoenberg
Bianco
O'Neil
Sharp

Later picks:

Comben
Finlay
Hilder

I like the sound of Rivers but didn't see him much to say a lot.

Rantall looks and sounds like he's got a lot of upside, but has questionable kicking skills. That turns me off a little.

Really hope Day lasts until our 23!

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Really like Ash, we need players with lateral movement plus takers the game on . We lack run more than any other team especially from defence . I would be drafting Hutchison from the SANFL side also.

Having just watched a few videos of Ash, I’m now off the Flanders bandwagon and onto his. There were a couple of elite kicks which I’m not sure many current AFL players would have the confidence to attempt, he hit the target with ease. Looks like he could switch into the midfield as well.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

CroCop

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Downloaded tha NAB League app today and had a look at highlights from all the top prospects and the one I want at pick 4 is Hayden Young . I get he’s a half back but will become a midfielder as he moves like that western bulldogs Bontompelli plus has his height and is a lefty . Want him the most but Melbourne will pick him . Damn.

But really want this guy Tom Hutchesson with one of our picks . Look at that movement in centre square . TimKellyesque.

Last edited:

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Really like Hayden Young from his highlights. Only question mark is at AFL level, will he be able to handle his defensive duties - he's not quite big and strong enough to be a 3rd tall but is he quick enough for the speedy smalls at AFL level? His kicking (accuracy + penetration), intercept work, vision is ELITE. He would take our backline to another level IMO. Reminds me of a combination of birchall and hodge.

Think Serong is special too. Just has that bit of creativity and x factor about him. On the smaller side but has strong hips and that nuggety low centre of gravity. Great football IQ and can assess a tight situation quicker than most. Good decision maker, spots up targets and doesn't blast the ball long under pressure. Robbie gray is a good comparison.

Like the look of Ash too- very Heath Shaw like with his good ball use and run and carry. Think we have a few of his type on our list though which is why i'd be less keen but wouldn't be dissapointed.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mutineer
Have you seen
Jack Riccardi play, and Miles Bergman
Yes and yes.
Riccardi showed a bit at TAC level for the Calder Cannons both in his top age and over age years moving between Half forward and half back mainly....this year he's moved onto the VFL as a 20 year old and had a very good season playing CHF for Mark Williams/Nick Daffy's Werribee....surprisingly he was passed over in the mid season draft but reckon he will probably go close to being the first mature ager drafted in this year's draft. Another St. Bernard's College footy product like his close mate Lachlan Sholl so might be a chance for us.

According to AFL Draft Central's Ed Pascoe he tells me we've shown strong interest in high leaping athletic forward Calder Cannon Jeremy O'Sullivan also a St. Bernard's College lad and historically we've drafted us some Calder Cannons.

Currently I doubt we have a pick in Miles Bergman's range, I expect him to be a real bolter up the draft board come draft night, hugely gifted athlete, with speed, agility, very penetrating kick and an amazing leap for someone his size [188cm], a real metres gained player just needs to add consistency and more production to his game to be an out and out star IMO. I'm tipping he goes somewhere mid - late 1st round. Initially I think he plays wing/half forward at AFL level. Miles also won the Neale Daniher Medal for B.O.G. for St.Bede's College in this year's Herald Sun Shield Grand Final and played well for the Sandy Dragons in the finals of the NAB League proving he stands up in the big games.
1571532302636.png

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Bergman is interesting. I never really noticed him in the (few) games I watched, and his stats aren't amazing.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
This is a great list posted by Davo-27 in his thread on the Phantom Draft sub-board.

Reposted here for our reference.

i did a little thought experiment on where i group the playing talent from the combines that i liked into groups, so heres my list:

Group 1 - 1st round (1-14)= Green, Gould, D.Stephens, Ash, Flanders, Kemp, Serong, Young, Anderson, McAsey, Rowell, Henry, L.Jackson, Robertson.

Group 2 - 2nd round (15-35)= O'Neill, Day, Mead, Pickett, Schoenberg, Shute, Taheny, Chirgwin, B.Smith, C.Stephens, Weightman, Bergman, Bianco, Maginness, D.Williams, J.Mahony, Worrell, Georgiades, Rivers, Ruscoe, Sharp.

Group 3 - 3rd + 4th rounds (36-68)= Rosas Jnr, Budarick, Cumberland, Gore, Parks, Finlay, Hilder, Park, Magor, Partington, R.Baldi, Cahill, Clark, Comben, De Koning, Dow, Perez, Rantall, Bryan, Byrnes, Cassar, Jones, Mott, Sharman, Carafa, D'Intinosante, Mellis, Pretty, Stapleton, Garcia, Pasini, Taylor, Prior.

Group 4 - Late/Rookies/Not Drafted (69+)= Delahunty, Martyn, Peatling, K.Coleman, Conroy, Kelly, Morris, McEntee, F.Phillips, Rowles, L.Williams, Connolly, Pepper, Sparkes, Gundry, Butler, Honey, Jeka, Philp, Sturgess, Davies, Dean, Gollant, Hanrahan, McCormack, Rossiter, Andrews, Watts, J.Jackson, Johnson, O'Connor, Warner, Bennell, Thorne.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bergman is interesting. I never really noticed him in the (few) games I watched, and his stats aren't amazing.
He's a player that doesn't need to get a lot of it to inflict some real serious damage on the opposition.....don't you be worrying too much about the stats, get hold of some footage, a good game to get hold of would be the wildcard round of the NAB League Sandy Dragons vs Geelong Falcons.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
He's a player that doesn't need to get a lot of it to inflict some real serious damage on the opposition.....don't you be worrying too much about the stats, get hold of some footage, a good game to get hold of would be the wildcard round of the NAB League Sandy Dragons vs Geelong Falcons.
Yeah, I never really watched any of the NAB league games, just the state and rep games. Didn't really notice him there, but not sure that means much.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
aaaa
Before the ACL absolutely but I'm wary now as will most recruiters, I just don't think we can take the required risk with such an early draft pick given we're rejuvenating the list, maybe if we had another reasonably high 1st round pick as well we'd do it i.e Milera and Doedee but not where we sit at this point.
Curious on your view, if we manage to get GWS pick 6, would Kemp be the answer, or do they see Borlase playing the same role down the track . and pick a Serong, Ash,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back