Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather than doing a pick 4 for pick 6 (+ extras) trade, would we be better off doing another "we won't bid on your academy player" trade with GWS?

We keep pick 4, trade pick 37 to them for pick 40 plus a 2020 second?

That way our first pick doesn't fall behind Sydney, they get a few extra points, they don't have to match a bid from us, and we get future second for basically nothing.

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rather than doing a pick 4 for pick 6 (+ extras) trade, would we be better off doing another "we won't bid on your academy player" trade with GWS?

We keep pick 4, trade pick 37 to them for pick 40 plus a 2020 second?

That way our first pick doesn't fall behind Sydney, they get a few extra points, they don't have to match a bid from us, and we get future second for basically nothing.
No cos swans will bid of him if we dont

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
I've got Flanders at 4 on my power rankings atm so if we take him I'd be one very happy chappy. But if we somehow got Tom Green then you could call me Archimedes....

Flanders might not look as polished or deft as some but he's a hard-nosed footballer, real tough edges, has mongrel and competes all day. Love footballers like that and they excel when the heat is on and he does that in spades. He reminds me of a goalkicking Joel Selwood but a level below Selwood as he's one of the greats.

Serong is a bull, I remember watching him in the Under 18 SA VC game at Adelaide Oval and he stood out as an underager in a loss against a star studded SA side. He's strong and hard, but perhaps not blessed with the greatest pace but great overhead and a solid kick. Bit of an Ollie Wines type but shorter and more forward dominant.

Pretty much.
If 3 4 or 5 didn't bid on green... then gws would take another player at 6... and match a bid for green with all there other picks and future first.

Green in no way shape or form will get passed Sydney not bidding for him.

Melb yes, Crows possibly. Swans definitely not.

I've got Flanders at 4 on my power rankings atm so if we take him I'd be one very happy chappy. But if we somehow got Tom Green then you could call me Archimedes....

Flanders might not look as polished or deft as some but he's a hard-nosed footballer, real tough edges, has mongrel and competes all day. Love footballers like that and they excel when the heat is on and he does that in spades. He reminds me of a goalkicking Joel Selwood but a level below Selwood as he's one of the greats.

Serong is a bull, I remember watching him in the Under 18 SA VC game at Adelaide Oval and he stood out as an underager in a loss against a star studded SA side. He's strong and hard, but perhaps not blessed with the greatest pace but great overhead and a solid kick. Bit of an Ollie Wines type but shorter and more forward dominant.

How would Flanders go in the same midfield unit as the Crouch brothers? Would he cop the Poholke treatment and be stuck on a HFF? Also, what's his defensive running like?

How would Flanders go in the same midfield unit as the Crouch brothers? Would he cop the Poholke treatment and be stuck on a HFF? Also, what's his defensive running like?

I dont think Flanders would get many minutes in the midfield, I can see him being used up forward initially. Which is why I think Melbourne may go after him.

Thus we go for the best available when we pick

While I do get shitty for us not taking SA kids, I am acutely aware the Club knows far far far more than what I do and their selections of proven to be on the money over the years.

If I was there, I would have taken Ebert over Danger and Burton over Doedee. :drunk: So Glory be, to me.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
While I do get shitty for us not taking SA kids, I am acutely aware the Club knows far far far more than what I do and their selections of proven to be on the money over the years.

If I was there, I would have taken Ebert over Danger and Burton over Doedee. :drunk: So Glory be, to me.
I'm always a bit weary of the man child's upside

E.g. Kieran Collins

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
With scenario A, I'd do it if we could move 11 to Geelong for 14 this year.

I don't want to hold two first rounds next year as Gold Coast will just come calling for them.

14, 15, 20, 23 - and 28 and 45 traded to Freo for 22 and 37 and 49 traded to Hawthorn for 30?

Six picks between 14 and 30 is interesting, as that really seems like a sweet spot in the draft too.
that would be an EXCELLENT result,

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt
that would be an EXCELLENT result,
Each to their own.

Give me elite top end picks any day.

We've had so many draftees taken around that 12-20 mark.

As long as week can keep a pick in the top 10, I would consider trading 4. Gets us one of the Second Tier this year or Stephens.

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Each to their own.

Give me elite top end picks any day.

We've had so many draftees taken around that 12-20 mark.

As long as week can keep a pick in the top 10, I would consider trading 4. Gets us one of the Second Tier this year or Stephens.

I'd argue our picks from 10-30 have been pretty good the last decade to be fair. OK some have left, but there isn't many misses in there.

McHenry - Pick 16
Fogarty - Pick 12
Gallucci - Pick 15 (jury is out on this one - I admit)
Milera - Pick 11
Doedee - Pick 17
Lever - Pick 14
MCrouch - Pick 23
Smith - Pick 14
Talia - Pick 13
Gunston - Pick 29
P.Davis - Pick 10
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Otten - Pick 27

Apologies if I've missed anyone,

I'd argue our picks from 10-30 have been pretty good the last decade to be fair. OK some have left, but there isn't many misses in there.

McHenry - Pick 16
Fogarty - Pick 12
Milera - Pick 11
Doedee - Pick 17
Lever - Pick 14
MCrouch - Pick 23
Smith - Pick 14
Talia - Pick 13
Gunston - Pick 29
P.Davis - Pick 10
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Otten - Pick 27

A player leaving really isnt under our control, good post to highlight the strength of our recruiting from Pick 10 to Pick 30.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, here's a bit of an off topic one. What is the "Intangible Asset" that everyone most covet's in their draftee's.

Some common ones to get you started;

Hunger for the contest, Plays with some Mongrel, Reads the ball in flight, The bit of X factor, Hates to lose, Is an old school footballer, Courage, Silky, Shows some dash, etc etc.

For me, there are lots of attributes I want to see in young players, but I love seeing the kids that genuinely 'hate to lose'. You can't teach competitiveness!

Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Mavs, Sturt

McHenry - Pick 16
Fogarty - Pick 12
Milera - Pick 11
Doedee - Pick 17
Lever - Pick 14
MCrouch - Pick 23
Smith - Pick 14
Talia - Pick 13
Gunston - Pick 29
P.Davis - Pick 10
Dangerfield - Pick 10
Otten - Pick 27

Oh don't get me wrong, we have done pretty well in that slot... absolutely agree. However, that's also because we haven't had top end picks.

Which of the above are Elite? Dangerfield? Maybe Talia in his prime.

There are some who might be (or become) A-graders, but I'd like to try get a Josh Kelly, a Whitfield, a Dusty with pick 4... We have two other picks in the 20s to use in our "sweet spot".

spexau

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh don't get me wrong, we have done pretty well in that slot... absolutely agree. However, that's also because we haven't had top end picks.

Which of the above are Elite? Dangerfield? Maybe Talia in his prime.

There are some who might be (or become) A-graders, but I'd like to try get a Josh Kelly, a Whitfield, a Dusty with pick 4... We have two other picks in the 20s to use in our "sweet spot".
Prior to his ACL Doods was tracking as an elite backman.

I feel like we still need another project KPF because I am not sure about Himmelberg. I think it would be a good idea to recruit another project KPF just in case Himmelberg switches to a new role or develop well enough as a forward.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats what 2020 Luko is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back