Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows need to stop stuffing around and looking smart on draft day and use their top five pick for the first time in a long time. We need top end talent. Only trade you would do is 4 for two inside top 15 but that ain’t available
First time in a long time? First time ever

Since i dont think its been mentioned, would anyone do our pick four for GC round 1 pick next yr plus pick 15 this yr? They get the top 10 pick they want this year and pay 15 as the premium for it ( or more if they finish bottom 3 next yr.)

Prolly a bit of risky deal for them, they mite try to convince us for 4 with 11 next yr, 15 this year and maybe their second rounder next yr.

I wish Hamish was actually doing the trades, he is much smarter then Reid and knows roughly what each pick in the draft would get him.

For Geelong I’d ask for their first 3 picks this year and second next year. If they are so desperate for pick 4. I read in an article that for us and Melbourne to trade it would be big overs, Geelong can come to the party or stay where they are

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you think Reid will be out there doing a bunch of pick trades that Ogilvie wouldn't want done?

I wish Hamish was actually doing the trades, he is much smarter then Reid and knows roughly what each pick in the draft would get him.

For Geelong I’d ask for their first 3 picks this year and second next year. If they are so desperate for pick 4. I read in an article that for us and Melbourne to trade it would be big overs, Geelong can come to the party or stay where they are

So you want two firsts and two seconds for pick 4?

Or a first and two seconds, so that Geelong can move up ten places in the draft?

Wonder if there’s a way we can grab another pick in the 20’s? Would love to grab a KPP and two dangerous mids in the 20-30 range. Something like a De Koning/C Stephens/O’Neill combo

Would probably have to give up our 2020 2nd to do so

I hope we tread very wisely here regarding our 1st rounder 2020.

Carlton felt the media and fan blowtorch for half a season for potentially giving us Pick 1.

We are in a rebuild phase, the Crows finishing bottom 4 and ending up with a Pick from 1-4 needs to be considered as a realistic situation.
I hope (and know we will) don't worry about what anyone else thinks and do the best thing for the club with our pucks.

If we use pick 4 or split it who cares, Haggis has enough runs on the board to trust it

Mutineer, thoughts on Brock Smith?

Do you think he's there wuth our 40s picks? Similar player to Jake Kelly?

We're pretty loaded up on HBF's. I reckon the only way we pick up more is if Hamish thinks that they can transition into midfielders, like Sloane and Dangerfield who played HBF in U18's.

Believe it or not the club do a lot of work on this, and these guys speak to each other. There's a ton of analysis on what each pick can potentially get.

Unlike us on Bigfooty who just look at pick numbers.

You can get set with me on both Himmelberg and Gallucci getting delisted at year's end, they certainly need to lift their games but they're not in that pile just yet. Poholke is the only one playing for his future this coming season IMO, hopefully he is given a consistent chance to show his wares at the top level under the new coach in what shapes as a development year for the team as a whole.
Poholke’s SANFL games were much better than that of Gallucci’s this year. The Gooch was lucky he kept getting chances after not doing much in his AFL games this year and when he went back to the SANFL he stunk it up big time . Doing one nice thing a game doesn’t make a player . He lacks intensity in my eyes and he may have guns but he is tiny.

Its going to be interesting what they do.

The issue GWS have at present is that after pick 6, the picks they have only match an early 20's bid. Their goal is no doubt to have a pick before a bid comes in on Green, why else move up to 6 from the picks they had? They actually lost about 300 points by trading 12 + 18 for 6 + 59. I would imagine there's now a fair bit of pressure on them to make a trade with us or Melbourne and I imagine both clubs are quite aware of this, neither is going to move up cheaply.

Even if we do agree to give them 4, there's not a lot else they can offer on top of pick 6 and their 1st next year which is likely late 1st round. They can't offer us a player now, they could have done that during trade period and enticed us to given them 23 &/or 28 back to use on the Green bid.

The trouble they then have is that the Swans are likely bidding at 5, if we don't bid at 4. GWS' current later picks equate to a pick ~20-22 mark, this means to match a pick 5 bid they're going into massive deficit for next year, likely to wipe out their 2nd and probably their 3rd round picks in the 2020 draft given they won't have their 1st.

If we were to accept a shuffle back with GWS, do we accept 6 + 2020 1st and then swap our picks 45 + 49 for pick 40+80? Helps their points situation, as things currently stand, by 205 points. Doesn't solve the issue, but probably saves their 3rd rounder.

From our perspective, it all comes down to Ogilvy. What is the drop off between 4 and 6 (Excluding Green from the available pool)? An extra 1st improves our hand significantly next year. Is there benefit upgrading 45 to 40, even though 49 suffers significantly? Or is the extra first next year worth it anyway?

Personally it would not surprise me at all if we ended up agreeing to such a deal.

Adel: Pick 6 + Pick 40 + GWS 2020 1st rounder
GWS: Pick 4 + Pick 45 + Pick 49
Take out our pick 45 from the deal and you’d have to consider it.

Gives us 6, 23, 28, 37, 40, 45.

we could then potentially use 40 & 45 to move up again.

Crows need to stop stuffing around and looking smart on draft day and use their top five pick for the first time in a long time. We need top end talent. Only trade you would do is 4 for two inside top 15 but that ain’t available

If:
- Melbourne do not bid on Green or take the player Geelong want at 3
- Geelong are indeed keen on a particular player
- GWS want Green at all costs, want maximum points to achieve this and don’t get a better points offer

Then:
Adelaide - gain 6, 14 & 24, lose 4, 23 & 49
Geelong - gain 4 & 49, lose 14, 17 & 24
GWS - gain 17 & 23, lose 6

Pick 23 will be used in the Green bid, so the shift from 23 to 24 has no impact on us and gives GWS a few more points.

We may need to give 37 or 45 to Geelong instead of 49.

I would jump at 6 & 14 for 4 and one of our later picks. Gives us 2 x top 15 picks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A deal with GWS will only happen if they can get 4 plus Green. If I've worked it out right they need about 466 more points to match Sydney at 5.

4 + 37
6 + 2020 1st

Seems win/win. Could give them another 3rd if necessary. We win on points but they get two top 6 players. Wouldnt be surprised if there is arrangement to do so if Melbourne don't bid on him - and they don't have late picks to give GWS to help them get points for Green.

A deal with GWS will only happen if they can get 4 plus Green. If I've worked it out right they need about 466 more points to match Sydney at 5.

4 + 37
6 + 2020 1st

Seems win/win. Could give them another 3rd if necessary. We win on points but they get two top 6 players. Wouldnt be surprised if there is arrangement to do so if Melbourne don't bid on him - and they don't have late picks to give GWS to help them get points for Green.
How can it be win/win? We’ve helped another AFL team secure 2 elite talents whilst we get a late first that will be pushed back to a pick in the 20s? And you want to give them 37 and possibly another 3rd rounder on top of that?

If Reid did that he should be sacked

How can it be win/win? We’ve helped another AFL team secure 2 elite talents whilst we get a late first that will be pushed back to a pick in the 20s? And you want to give them 37 and possibly another 3rd rounder on top of that?

If Reid did that he should be sacked

Correct, effectively picks 4 & 5 for 6 & a late first. I don’t think so.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If:
- GWS want Green at all costs, want maximum points to achieve this and don’t get a better points offer

Then:

Pick 23 will be used in the Green bid, so the shift from 23 to 24 has no impact on us and gives GWS a few more points.

I would jump at 6 & 14 for 4 and one of our later picks. Gives us 2 x top 15 picks.

I love this.

It's a better version of my Geelong pick swap idea. The only thing though, can 3 way trades be done?

I'm convinced we will be doing some pick trading on draft night.

If:

Then:

They do want green and have the points to match just want to pick another player before a bid comes for green.

I say stuff them force them to use pick 6 by not trading and bidding on green unless they can obtain another top 15 pick for somewhere else

Correct, effectively picks 4 & 5 for 6 & a late first. I don’t think so.
That 5 is pretty much GWS' own draft stock though - it's for Green and does it matter where it lands?

Ok, it helps GWS get another top-5 player this year but it does let us get another first rounder next year for a 2 pick downgrade this year. GWS are paying for that 4 with a first rounder from next year.

Don't really like helping GWS keeping their juggernaut going but lots of other Vic clubs have been benefiting by doing this that we're mugging ourselves if we don't as well.

4 + 37
6 + 2020 1st

Agree there are win/win scenarios that could play out on draft night. I laugh at those on here who get all shirty because we will have struck a win/win deal. They only want a win/lose deal - which is effectively a no deal.

the other idea floating around in my head is that we might be in the same position as GWS next year with Edwards. He’s a potential top 10 pick. Why not swap our 2020 first for pick 6 with GWS. We give them 37, 45 and 49 this year so they have the points needed to match a Green bid but get their top 10 pick next year. They give us their 2020 2nd, 3rd and 4th so we have the points we need next year but we walk away with two top 10 picks this year. Gives us picks 4, 6, 23 and 28 this year but no 2020 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back