Prediction 2019 Draft - Who do you want with our first pick?

Who do you want with our first?

• Total voters
Two parts to this:

1. The poll is: Who do you want with our first pick of the 2019 draft be it a #9 or #10.
2. The second question is: Who do you think we'll get?

The poll may ultimately be meaningless given live trading, but just for the exercise.
I won't be dropping names Rowell, Anderson, Green, Henry, Jackson or Flanders, Maginness or McAsey here, only because I doubt they'll be available or accessible.

My answer hasn't changed. Not yet, anyway.

Stephens is my #1 and Ash is my next preference should he be off the board already. But if Young is still there...it'll be very tough to overlook him.

Robertson looks a serious player but not sure where he fits going forward. I won't be disappointed but I'd rather look elsewhere.

I have Kemp and Serong in my top group on talent but I have concerns over both of them. I think I'd rather steer clear, but we seem to be linked fairly strongly to both here, so what do I know? :)

If we're on the clock and we're choosing from the latter two...I'd rather trade down.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
1) I would like us to draft Deven Robertson as he is a driver with real outstanding leadership. I still think with a very young group going through together that another level headed, highly professional leader will do us the world of good.

Plus he's a gun. A somewhat scrappy gun?...Yes. But a gun. And even if he's not a gun, he'll still be a 1st 22 player and a gun leader.

2) I think we will draft Brodie Kemp. It all depends who goes where of course, but on balance of probabilities i am more confident of us reading his name out than any other name. But it could be any one of about 3-5, as everyone knows. I'd be fine with Kemp. Nervous, but excited.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Massive fan of Kemp. He's a clutch player, athletic and just oozes class. The type of player you'd regret not selecting in years to come.

If Young was still on the board, I'd be strongly considering him. Would be happy with Stephens or Ash too.

I reckon we'll end up picking someone that no one has suggested on BigFooty with pick 9. E.g. Harrison Jones or Hugo Ralphsmith.

I want Stephens for us, before even considering Young as a possibility.
If though we had the choice between the three, I'd go:

1. Stephens because he'd make for a great piece in the mix.
2. Young because I think he's the best player in the group.
3. Serong because he may fill the biggest gap.

Kemp may though be better than all but a year out of things makes for a real issue to me.
An issue that may well pay off, but not one I'd be able to do as lots of things can change in one year. That's the risk.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I have no idea. This is such an interesting/strange draft.

I really like the shape of our list, and feel that we are really only lacking small forwards, and perhaps a line-breaking defender.

As I mentioned on the other thread, I’m fascinated by Serrong. You’ve got guys like Bishop and Twomey rating him at 4, he seemingly fits our biggest need, and yet most on here prefer others.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
From what I've seen on the highlights reels, and who would potentially be available at pick 9/10 - which would likely be Stephens/Kemp/Serong - I would prefer to trade down, but only with Cats for picks 14 and 17.

No trade - Kemp at 9/10...if he didn't have the knee, he probably wouldn't be available at this pick. Huge upside.
Trade - Bergman at 14/15 and Pickett at 17/18

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
1. I want Stephens. I can see him playing in the Marc Murphy first receiver on ball role for many years to come.....but I just don’t see him getting past Freo.

2. I actually think we will trade down. But to answer your question on its merits Harks if we don’t trade down I see us taking Serong. Suspect they will talk themselves into thinking he starts off life as Tom Papley and finishes as Marc Murphy.

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Two parts to this:

1. The poll is: Who do you want with our first pick of the 2019 draft be it a #9 or #10.
2. The second question is: Who do you think we'll get?

The poll may ultimately be meaningless given live trading, but just for the exercise.
I won't be dropping names Rowell, Anderson, Green, Henry, Jackson or Flanders, Maginness or McAsey here, only because I doubt they'll be available or accessible.
Pedantic point but not sure why you see Ash and Young as potentially available but not McAsey.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
1. I want Stephens. I can see him playing in the Marc Murphy first receiver on ball role for many years to come.....but I just don’t see him getting past Freo.

2. I actually think we will trade down. But to answer your question on its merits Harks if we don’t trade down I see us taking Serong. Suspect they will talk themselves into thinking he starts off life as Tom Papley and finishes as Marc Murphy.
Not sure if we can reply on this thread, but I'd be very confident Stephens will be available at our pick....Freo will take Ash/Young and Robertson (the local boy).
Lock it in windows1 :thumbsu:;)

Pedantic point but not sure why you see Ash and Young as potentially available but not McAsey.

Not pedantic and I may be wrong, therefore the 'other' button.
Given the relative depth we have in tall defenders, I don't see us thinking that what we need is another one.

As expressed previously though, should a talent like Young be open to us, it's well worth looking into.....don;t think we'd take him if Kemp was there, but it could be close.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
So who’s likely ‘off the board’ ?

1 Suns Rowell
2 Suns Anderson
3 Dem Jackson
4 GWS Ash
5 GWS Green (match Sydney)
6 Syd Flanders
7 Ade McAsey
8 Freo Robertson
9 Freo Young / D Stephens
10 Freo Henry (match us)
11 Us. D Stephens / Young or Kemp

Sweet Seventeen

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I have settled on Ash, i really like the look of him. Stephens would be excellent as well. Kemp has a lot of upside, probably worth the risk. But of course only time will tell.

Back