Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Feels like this deserves its own thread given any serious discussion would get lost in the trade thread with the shenanigans that go on in there. As it stands we will have a pick 16-18 as well as picks 34 and 37 which will be pushed further back once compensation picks are accounted for. We should also expect a late first round compensation pick for Ellis as compensation for leaving via FA and I wouldn't rule out trading next years first for an additional first rounder this season if the club expects MJ Jr to be a potential first rounder next season. Of course we could also end up trading our picks for ready made talent but I feel this is becoming less likely the closer to we get to the trade period and personally think we should be aiming to secure another big name free agent next season much like we did with Lynch.

As for the draftees likely to be available at our selections it would appear more likely that we would target midfielders. Which names like Cooper Stephens, Harry Schoenberg, Deven Robertsen and Jay Rantall being possible selection and would further improve our midfield depth. While a player like Luke Jackson could possibly drop in which case a lot of teams would be left with egg on their face much like when Grundy lasted all the way to Collingwood in 2012.

Anyhow I've only just started to focus in on this years draft and will provide more names with the more games I see but I thought I would get this thread moving especially given the lack of footy talk related to us this coming week.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Brodie Kemp would be our wish to slide but wont happen

Sam De Koning is another i wouldnt mind at that range 200cm defender

Tom Dow is another thats had a decent year and should be available at our later pick

Cooper Stephens would be my pick with #18 190cm inside mid

Early days but from what i have read and seen through some vision

#18 - Cooper Stephens
#25 - Sam De Koning (ellis compo)
#37 - Tom Dow
#39 - Jeremy Sharp

pmac21

Debutant
Jan 26, 2009
Warrnambool
AFL Club
Richmond
Jay Rantall a very good player. Played U18 basketball for australia and Geelong asked him to sit out of footy as a junior and promised to draft him as a category B rookie (like Soldo). Will go in top 30 and Geelong will take him with one of the Kelly picks.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
Josh Worrell
195cm/74kg
Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Key defender/forward

Shoulder surgery shortly after Vic Metro's under-18 championships finished ended Worrell's season prematurely. It was hoped the intercepting key defender would only miss several weeks with the injury but it instead required a reconstruction, which means he is unlikely to test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine. Worrell had already shown enough as a marking backman who can cut off opposition forward forays, plus his own form when he's closer to goal, to still be a likely first-round pick.

Will Gould
191cm/98kg
South Australia/Glenelg
Defender

Has been playing at senior level throughout this season and has continued to show what he does well: rebound off half-back, kick the ball with penetration and match up on senior types. He has as good a CV as any of the draft hopefuls with his back-to-back All Australian jumpers and being a regular senior in the SANFL. Will be fascinating to see where clubs view Gould on draft night given his maturity as a prospect already.

Sam De Koning
200cm/85kg
Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays
Defender

Clubs are very keen on De Koning, who has enjoyed a rise throughout this year as a tall defender. He won a spot in the All Australian backline for his performances for Vic Country while still being a little raw. De Koning is the younger brother of Carlton's Tom. Last weekend he hurt his ankle playing for the Dandenong Stingrays, having missed the previous Stingrays game through illness.

All three are ranked 10-20 in Twomey's August Phantom draft.

I like the sound of Brock Smith too (ranked 28)...
188cm/81kg
Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Defender

There have been plenty of forwards this year who have battled when matched up against Smith. The Gippsland Power captain is a general in the backline: he can take on a range of differently sized forwards and lock down, plus he also provides direction from defence and some rebound. Smith might not have the flashy qualities of other players but he's tough, hard and uncompromising, and he hates his opponent getting a touch.

Last edited:
Trent Rivers my early favourite for our pick. I think the club will use the extra picks we have to trade up the order on draft night to land a targeted player.

We tried with Bailey Smith last year and couldn't get it done but maybe this year will be different.

Thought a depth chart might help with draft discussion to give a bit of an idea about areas that we may need to look at. The red are who I consider our best 25

End of 2019 Depth Chart.png

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Trent Rivers my early favourite for our pick. I think the club will use the extra picks we have to trade up the order on draft night to land a targeted player.

We tried with Bailey Smith last year and couldn't get it done but maybe this year will be different.
Hard as a cats head he reminds me of Vlaustin. Would be happy if we ended up with him. HB or defensive mid role and could play straight away with his size and aggression

Thought a depth chart might help with draft discussion to give a bit of an idea about areas that we may need to look at. The red are who I consider our best 25

View attachment 743736

Going by the chart it would be nice to get a key forward/ defender

The big boys generally swing around a little for a few years before settling in a position so best available key position player at our pick would be great

Any other picks just go best available regardless of position

Going by the chart it would be nice to get a key forward/ defender

The big boys generally swing around a little for a few years before settling in a position so best available key position player at our pick would be great

Any other picks just go best available regardless of position
2 I like the sound of a McAsey and De Koning both 195+ who could play either end, for mine one of both would be handy pick ups at this stage.

I suppose how the club rate Baxter in the 2020 draft will factor into whether we reach for a tall this year too.

If he was named in the All Aus U16 team at CHB you'd assume he's a top 30 talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who's baxter?
Ethan Baxter from the Murray Bushrangers and our academy. I heard he was one of ours last year but the club have never put anything on our website. Last week though Cal Twomey confirmed it saying Baxter is highly rated and we hold the rights to him.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
2 round mock (August)

First Round

1. Gold Coast - Matthew Rowell (178cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)
2. Gold Coast - Noah Anderson (188cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)

Personally, I'd give Gold Coast the priority pick they want. It's the perfect time to do it with the almost consensus top 2 picks being best friends, and something needs to be done to make them competitive. Getting more average mature aged players won't help.

3. Melbourne - Hayden Young (188cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
4. Adelaide - Dylan Stephens (183cm, 69kg from SA)
5. GWS (matched bid) - Tom Green (188cm, 85kg from NSW/ACT)

I think GWS will be keen to trade up and get a pick in before any bid for Green comes, but it's risky. Outside of the top 2, there's not really any contested midfielders as good as him. He'd suit Sydney well, so a trade up may well just see an earlier pick get swallowed up.

6. Sydney - Brodie Kemp (192cm, 82kg from Vic Country)

Another year, and another long term injury to a big name draft prospect. The main difference between Kemp and Max King, is that King was in the #1 mix before his injury whereas Kemp was more of a speculative top 5 prospect. But I don't see him sliding regardless, it's not a draft where you overlook size and pure talent. Sydney need to take some risks, and a combination of Blakey/Kemp could payoff big time. Getting a second first round pick from Papley helps ease the risk too.

7. St Kilda - Caleb Serong (178cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
8. North Melbourne - Lachie Ash (186cm, 80kg from Vic Country)
9. Hawthorn - Fischer McAsey (195cm, 86kg from Vic Metro)

Pick #9 may well be one of the worst places to pick this year. It's looking like there's close to a top 8 unless something changes over the next month, so it's unlikely this pick will be good 'value'. I'm sure the Hawks will be keen to trade it out, but otherwise they take the best tall available.

10. Fremantle - Deven Robertson (182cm, 80kg from WA)
11. Western Bulldogs - Josh Worrell (195cm, 74kg from Vic Metro)

They'll likely be praying that McAsey is available at their pick, Worrell has the potential to be even better though. It'll just take a few years, but he would offer them a second talented and versatile tall alongside Naughton.

12. Port Adelaide - Cameron Taheny (185cm, 80kg from SA)

Hard to see Taheny going any earlier than this, and it would maybe be a bit of a surprise pick. But he's as talented as anyone in the draft, and Port can take the risk knowing they'll get a safe pick in Mead later. Rozee will move into the midfield eventually, so Taheny gives them a different look up forward.

13. Fremantle (matched bid) - Liam Henry (179cm, 67kg from WA)
14. Carlton - Sam Flanders (182cm, 81kg from Vic Country)

Are any Carlton fans expecting to go into the draft with this pick? Surely not. Whoever does pick here, Flanders would more than likely fit in. A trade out may be good news for Fremantle, but a Liam Henry bid could come a pick earlier from Port Adelaide anyway.

15. Brisbane - Will Gould (191cm, 98kg from SA)

I don't think there's a more perfect fit for Brisbane in the draft, they should be taking Gould even if they were picking in the top 5. He'd walk straight in as a replacement for Hodge, and actually make them better.

16. GWS - Luke Jackson (198cm, 94kg from WA)
17. Richmond - Elijah Taylor (185cm, 75kg from WA)
18. Hawthorn (matched bid) - Finn Maginness (187cm, 80kg from Vic Metro)

Still one of my favourite players this year, he's in the top 5 inside midfielders from this draft and I think has plenty of development to come. So even if the Hawks trade out their first selection, they'll finally get a first round pick they've avoided for so long.

19. Gold Coast - Trent Bianco (178cm, 70kg from Vic Metro)

If you take two Oakleigh kids with the first two picks, may as well back it up with a third one here. Not the biggest player, but he's smart and versatile. Has all the hallmarks of a prospect that I'll underrate, but goes on to be a solid player.

20. West Coast - Trent Rivers (188cm, 85kg from WA)
21. Geelong - Darcy Cassar (183cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)

Round 2
21. Brisbane - Cooper Stephens (188cm, 83kg from Vic Country)
22. Melbourne - Cody Weightman (177cm, 73kg from Vic Country)
23. Adelaide - Jeremy Sharp (187cm, 79kg from WA)
24. West Coast - Will Day (187cm, 70kg from SA)
25. Sydney - Harry Schoenberg (180cm, 78kg from SA)
26. North Melbourne - Dylan Williams (185cm, 79kg from Vic Metro)
27. Western Bulldogs - Sam DeKoning (200cm, 85kg from Vic Country)
28. Port Adelaide - Kysaiah Pickett (170cm, 67kg from SA)
29. Adelaide - Harrison Jones (194cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
30. Essendon - Nick Bryan (202cm, 87kg from Vic Metro)
31. Collingwood - Karl Finlay (192cm, 88kg from SA)
32. Essendon - Cooper Sharman (190cm, 82kg from Vic Metro)
33. Richmond - Dyson Hilder (196cm, 91kg from SA)
34. Port Adelaide (matched bid) - Jackson Mead (184cm, 83kg from SA)
35. Brisbane - Miles Bergman (186cm, 75kg from Vic Metro)
36. West Coast - Jay Rantall (184cm, 82kg from Vic Country)
37. Geelong - Joshua Shute (187cm, 73kg from SA)

KPD would be good, rebounding HBF would also be good as Houli is coming to the end and I'm not sure Short is the long term answer.

Happy with ruck stocks for now, and you can never have enough midfielders.

Wouldn’t Naish be the long term replacement for Houli?

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Still have plenty more to watch but this draft is reminding me a lot of 2013 which was meant to be weak and has turned out to very strong in particular for midfielders. I can see quite a few midfielders who will likely go in the 20-30 bracket end up going to be big ball winners at the next level.

Recently watched the replay of WA vs VIC Country and if this game is anything to go off then Elijah Taylor will be our first pick if still on board and not considered too much of a flight risk. Carbon copy of Shane Edwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back