2019 Draft

Marcel Proust

Premiership Player
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Smaller midfielders have their advantages too. They are generally more agile, skilful, evasive, mobile and are quicker, better below the knees, etc.

People just seem to be getting sucked into the taller midfielders on the back of the success of Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, etc. but for every Marcus Bontempelli, there’s about 20 Will Brodies. A lot of the successful midfields this century have comprised just small to medium sized midfielders.

Plus key forwards grew because they use their height more frequently and effectively than midfielders. Midfielders don’t need height. It can help but it can also hinder.
being a midget can hinder too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mitchelton-Scott
If he was Cat B we would have had the spot allocated to us, like Melbourne had their 2 spots allocated to them in the Rookie draft to pass on, but we weren't. Also being a Cat B rookie would stop him from being selected to play unless we had a long term injury. By changing him to a Cat A rookie we remove that restriction
Don't think the AFL article is accurate. DES a CatB rookie according to Draft Guru

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mitchelton-Scott
that doesnt make any sense, as if he is a CAT B then we cant play him unless there is a LTI. A CAT A can be selected any time, so to nobble ourselves with the services of a player just doesn't pass the pub test.
Makes more sense to me if he is. Gives us one more list spot and his salary outside the TPP.

Marcel Proust

Premiership Player
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Makes more sense to me if he is. Gives us one more list spot and his salary outside the TPP.
apparently DES cant play afl games as a cat b, apparently, unless an injury* (dunno if this is true)

which is the only problem with your theory :(

outlined about 5 pages back

It would be nice to get the extra player, Hilder would be ideal... many said they would be stoked with him @ 40ish

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mitchelton-Scott
apparently DES cant play afl games as a cat b, apparently, unless an injury* (dunno if this is true)

which is the only problem with your theory :(

outlined about 5 pages back

It would be nice to get the extra player, Hilder would be ideal... many said they would be stoked with him @ 40ish
Yes I knew that, but he is unlikely to be playing in the seniors at the start next season.

No club were interested in Hilder or Finlay so must be knocks on them. It would be better to wait the MSD to get a player. Bound to be a few of the overlooked guys that improve with another preseason.

Marcel Proust

Premiership Player
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes I knew that, but he is unlikely to be playing in the seniors at the start next season.

No club were interested in Hilder or Finlay so must be knocks on them. It would be better to wait the MSD to get a player. Bound to be a few of the overlooked guys that improve with another preseason.
Finlay and Hilder were very highly rated, in some circles

one of them to add to Nyuon would be an excellent result...

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Mitchelton-Scott

Not in clubland. Take Phantom Drafts with a grain of salt as the clubs have professional recruiters that are better judges.

Jonty Scharenberg was rated a first round pick in 2016 and was overlooked.

Phar Ace

Premium Platinum
Feb 9, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Bullets, Firebirds

Yep, I was a big rap of Hilder. Good size, contested mark, reads the play well, good at the Combine, his Yo yo specifically indicating great stamina. Thought he had a lot of good traits. Perhaps overall a touch slow, but a lot of boys at 195 are still. Reality is though neither Crows or Power took him so there must be something holding him back that plebs in back rows can't see.

This was written pre Rookie Draft. There is something else paywalled by Adelaide Now and the Addy
Dyson Hilder (North Adelaide/South Australia)
Position:
Key defender (195cm, 93kg)

The quintessential ready-made defender size-wise, Hilder would be an ideal rookie pick for a club needing a key backman. He’s an excellent intercept marker and strong one-on-one, but he’s arguably out of his comfort zone once the ball hits the deck.

This kid was great early in the year, but seemed he didn't grab his opportunities when things hotted up. Still the game he played against the Brisbane Academy was very good. An interview with him on Facebook was interesting, bit of a country boy who may just need a bit more time I think.

Lachlan Delahunty (GWS Giants Academy/NSW)
Position:
Key-position utility (192cm, 91kg)

Delahunty was given every chance to shine on the big stage this year, representing Australia and the Allies but failing to make an impact on most games. But his upside is huge, as he has excellent versatility and marking ability for his height. He can play in defence, but seems like he’s at his most dangerous in the forward line.

_RT_

🏆20🏆21🏆32🏆34🏆43🏆67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19
Sep 17, 2006
Southern Stand Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Furies Premiers 2010
Don't think the AFL article is accurate. DES a CatB rookie according to Draft Guru
Draftguru doesn't have access to the lists lodged with the AFL, whereas the AFL site would.

As mentioned repeatedly if we had an opening for another rookie we would have been listed in the rookie draft to allow us to the pass on the pick like we did at the end of the 2018 rookie draft when we left spots open for Weller and Stack.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
Are “big bodied mids” the most overrated player profile in the game at the moment?
Big bodied mids can be deceptive on the U18 competition. Because of their physical superiority they dominate against those who haven't grown into their bodies yet. These players get found out quickly when they have to play against men.

That is not to say a big bodied mid will be a bad player, but the recruiter will have to determine if they are playing well because of their skill or because they are more physically advanced than the other 17/18 year olds.

On the other side of the coin recruiters will have to also be careful of players who are clearly skillful, but won't end up putting on weight/muscle. And even if they do how will it affect their speed and endurance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Tokyo
AFL Club
Richmond
jordan Lewis is 186, although doesn’t change your point.
but I agree with Infamy, players are getting taller in all positions. Doesn’t mean you can’t play, Prestia’s low center of gravity is a blessing, but height and weight do confer certain physical advantages, harder to tackle, greater reach, hands up higher etc..
But a nicely rounded and complimentary midfield, with different types and strengths, works best.
Exhibit A...NOT the Dees! ;)

tunksy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Everything i have read or heard about CCJ is that he loves it at Richmond and in melbourne and apart from coming from SA there is no reason why he would be looking to go back , There is a reason why GC are looking to add more South australian boys and thats because most dont want to head back.

Would love to know where you get this info from
Sa is boring as fu**. Lamest state I've ever lived in lol

TimmytheTiger

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Can someone tell me what happened to Emma Quayle? I've been reading all the propaganda about Cal T being the draft Messiah, and it just dawned on me that I haven't seen a thing from my old mate EQ, who I always thought was in fact the smartest of the journos at draft time.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Can someone tell me what happened to Emma Quayle? I've been reading all the propaganda about Cal T being the draft Messiah, and it just dawned on me that I haven't seen a thing from my old mate EQ, who I always thought was in fact the smartest of the journos at draft time.
Now part of the GWS football department

Top Bottom