2019 Draft

Grin

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 8, 2006
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
my only issue was every year one result was always predictable - the pies were always the one team who killed the draft. His stuff is pretty good, as long as you ignore his collingwood blinkers
Although I'm pretty sure in 2017 and 2018 he said Richmond won the draft.
I did prefer Weaver's though. Wonder what happened to him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barnzy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
There are many other attributes that I would prefer over “height” in midfield.

Richmond have convinced me that clearances are overrated. We were 18th in the competition from scoring from stoppages. We won two flags without having a “big bodied mid”. Plus clearances are usually just hack kicks forward.

How many of the best midfielders in the history of the game are over 190cm?
Clearances are only overrated if you have a backline as good as ours that chops off everything and repels it for scores.

There is no doubt our midfield needs to improve and evolve. The backline can't cover the mids getting killed in that area forever.

The coaches see that and our lack of depth hence why they drafted pretty much all midfielders.

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
Aug 19, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Clearances are only overrated if you have a backline as good as ours that chops off everything and repels it for scores.

There is no doubt our midfield needs to improve and evolve. The backline can't cover the mids getting killed in that area forever.

The coaches see that and our lack of depth hence why they drafted pretty much all midfielders.
The immediate first clearance is overrated. That's because it's almost always under pressure and so is not clean. The next possession in the line is the one that usually counts - 2-5 meters from the contest. Watch the game, we usually have fewer players in the contest than the oppo, but more players around the contest. More often they win, and we end up with the ball. Our guy/s in the contest try to win the ball, but often put in the hand to stop a clean clearance. We are basically scientific in clearances. We focus on what makes them dangerous and try to enhance our ability to break clear and stop the opposition. Where it all falls apart is when the oppo starts getting clean ball and then our structure instead of stopping them creates holes for them to run into.

I reckon this is why we have gone for some genuine powerful inside monsters (Graham, Ross, RCD + more). We know that to play our style we have to have individuals that can take on 3 others and break even or stop the clean break. That requires power and impact. All these guys are also useful on the outside. They've seen where we get smashed and are building the next generation that takes that weakness away.

tiger_tough

All Australian
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Spoke to a mate who is a full time recruiter for another AFL team and got his opinion. He said he's 'not too big' on Dow and Martyn. Didn't mind both Cumberland and RalphSmith who are good athletes and pretty exciting types. Liked the Biggy pick late and was surprised Saints didn't match.

Hardly inspiring feedback but I guess it's a subjective industry.

Marcel Proust

Premiership Player
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Spoke to a mate who is a full time recruiter for another AFL team and got his opinion. He said he's 'not too big' on Dow and Martyn. Didn't mind both Cumberland and RalphSmith who are good athletes and pretty exciting types. Liked the Biggy pick late and was surprised Saints didn't match.

what a flog

cairo tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2003
back home and living the tiger dream
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers

thats what these campaginers said about stack. fools plenty of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tiger_Of_Old

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Ask your Mate why did he pinch Stocker & Philip?

_RT_

🏆20🏆21🏆32🏆34🏆43🏆67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19
Sep 17, 2006
Southern Stand Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Furies Premiers 2010

Nearly every opposition side is still trying to work out our game plan, so not sure they are going to do much better trying to work out our recruiting strategy

Dr Tigris

Premium Platinum
Aug 19, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon we have a different strategy, especially now. We are picking for top end in 3-5 years. Not best next year. Much harder, but also possibly much more lucrative.

I like KM and the other draft watchers, but they do tend to highly value immediate impact. Very few kids make a good immediate impact. In 5 years you know. I reckon we've really taken that longer term view in our drafting this year. I guess we know that they aren't playing AFL in 2020 almost for certain. So pick for top end talent, but not ready yet.

Hopefully we'll end with a team in 2024 that's got depth class and youth.

tiger_tough

All Australian
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Interestingly it seems Cal Twomey has changed his tune about Carlton pinching Philp from us. It was actually Port that initiated the swap, not the messiah SOS. Never change, Carlton fans.

Carlton was kept busy, moving up the board from pick No.22 to 20 after Port Adelaide initiated a pick swap to gather more draft points for father-son prospect Jackson Mead. The Blues used it on midfielder Sam Philp, who Sydney and North had interest in in the 20s.
Thomson Dow was next, as Richmond grabbed the speedy midfielder at No.21 to close out the first round. The Tigers liked his pace and his quick hands reminded them of dual premiership star Shane Edwards, who spent draft night in the Richmond recruiting box after working with their scouting team at different stages during the year.

The Tigers got excited as Kemp started to drift down the order, but Carlton extinguished that hope.

_RT_

🏆20🏆21🏆32🏆34🏆43🏆67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19
Sep 17, 2006
Southern Stand Punt Road End
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Furies Premiers 2010
Interestingly it seems Cal Twomey has changed his tune about Carlton pinching Philp from us. It was actually Port that initiated the swap, not the messiah SOS. Never change, Carlton fans.

Carlton was kept busy, moving up the board from pick No.22 to 20 after Port Adelaide initiated a pick swap to gather more draft points for father-son prospect Jackson Mead. The Blues used it on midfielder Sam Philp, who Sydney and North had interest in in the 20s.
Thomson Dow was next, as Richmond grabbed the speedy midfielder at No.21 to close out the first round. The Tigers liked his pace and his quick hands reminded them of dual premiership star Shane Edwards, who spent draft night in the Richmond recruiting box after working with their scouting team at different stages during the year.

The Tigers got excited as Kemp started to drift down the order, but Carlton extinguished that hope.

Questioned Cal about that on Twitter, silence was deafening

Top Bottom