2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not 100% sure on this but was reading the rules around rookies and my understanding is that payments made to players on the rookie list aren't included in the TPP. So if we've got cap issues for next year, then keeping them on the rookie list would make sense. With the changes in the rules around playing rookies in the AFL side not requiring them being elevated to do so there is no real need to promote them if we don't have to.
I presume there is some catch to prevent Clubs putting their high payment players on their rookie list and contracting rookies at rookie value prices. How good would it be if we could rookie Dusty, Lynch, Cotch, Jack R and Sheds, pay them their current salaries all of which would be outside the total player payment cap. That would really give opposition Clubs something to complain about.

I'm not 100% that Turner will transition to AFL wing, seems a tad slow for that. To me he looks more and big bodied mid who can find the ball. 26 possessions and 10 clearances from the midfield against Geelong VFL is good going. Reminds me of Gary Ayres, could even play half back like Ayres. English is a maybe.
Sharp looks pretty slick and a good wing half back.
Turner isn’t slow , kinda player that is too clever to be caught , reminds me a bit of cambo on the wing , rattling up possies being in right spots . Great signs to have the impact he did at vfl first year being youngest player drafted

Turner isn’t slow , kinda player that is too clever to be caught , reminds me a bit of cambo on the wing , rattling up possies being in right spots . Great signs to have the impact he did at vfl first year being youngest player drafted
Never said he was slow, but as you say like Campbell reasonable pace but possession acccumulator. But he will be a lot bigger than Campbell and I think he will be more of a Grigg type midfielder who will do his best work in the middle of the ground. Will compliment RCD and Ross really well.
I like pacy wingmen who break the lines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A long-term replacement for Jack? Could be available at pick 38
View attachment 774657
Big wraps on this kid from over here in WA. Missed the whole season with a torn thigh. Rumour is Collingwood considering. Replacement for Jack isn't going to come from a pick in the 30s or 40s I wouldn't have thought tho. Top class KPF's go early as a rule.

Last edited:
been some talk here that both wce and freo are into him.He certainly isnt under the radar over here and id say lots of clubs have their eye on him. top 20 pick i reckon which currently rules the eagles out.
Freo could get him with pick 22 and Geelong also linked to him with at pick 36.

Need for speed: Dees lock in meeting with banned ex-Pie

I love Melbourne. Yes they need speed. And they traded for … not speed. And now they are looking at dodgy guys from other clubs.

Why don't you just pick and develop, or trade for solid players with speed? It's actually not that hard.

Still watching them win the ball and then find it very difficult to move it forward is worth a laugh. And of course, the problem they have defensively chasing fast player sis also a laugh. So good times I guess.

Eagle Kysaiah Pickett’s star continues to rise with Will Gould joining Brenton Phillips in declaring he is SA’s most talented player

“The stuff I’ve seen him do week-in, week-out at school footy is incredible,’’ says Will Gould of fellow SA draft hopeful Kysaiah Pickett - the player he would pick if he was a recruiter.

TOP SA draft hope Will Gould has joined the Kysaiah Pickett fan club, declaring he is not only one of the most talented players in the State but in Australia.

A week after SANFL talent manager Brenton Phillips labelled Pickett – the nephew of dual AFL premiership player Bryon Pickett – as the most gifted Croweater in this year's draft pool, Gould said he would be the first player he would select this year from SA outside of likely top-10 pick Dylan Stephens.

Speaking on The Lowdown AFL Draft Podcast with Stephens and asked who he would draft outside of the star pair if he was an AFL recruiter, Gould didn’t hesitate in nominating his SA under-18 and former Prince Alfred College teammate Pickett.

“I seem to always pump his tyres up a little bit but if I was to pick anyone it would be Kozzy Pickett, definitely,’’ Gould said of the Port Lincoln product.

“I was lucky enough to be in the boarding house with him at PAC, he was the year below me but I managed to pull a few strings and get him up into our wing.

“Obviously it was a big change for him, coming into a school like PAC, and to help him out through that was amazing.

“And then to go out on a Saturday and watch him take screamers on everyone and kick goals from everywhere each week was something I will never forget.’’

Phillips claimed the Woodville-West Torrens small forward/midfielder was the most talented and exciting player among the SA crop, despite having just a modest AFL under-18 championships and SANFL campaign.

1572957029655.png

“He’s just an excitement machine and can really turn a game upside down very quickly,’’ Phillips said.

Gould said he stood in amazement when watching Pickett strut his stuff at PAC.

“The stuff I’ve seen him do week-in, week-out at school footy is incredible,’’ Gould said.

“At training we used to try to palm people off to him and then felt sorry for a few boys he got hold of.

“He’s awesome, a really good kid.’’

Stephens also described Pickett as “one of the most talented kids not only from SA but in all of the draft’’.

“Some of the things he can do, nobody else can,’’ he said.

But Stephens said if he was to have one pick from SA it would be Eagle Harry Schoenberg, just ahead of his Redlegs teammate, forward Cam Taheny.

“After seeing what Harry did this year in not getting selected for the SA Hub at the start of the year, to take that criticism on board, work his butt off and then be our MVP at the national championships, that shows to me that he is willing to do whatever it takes to be an AFL player,’’ Stephens said.

“What he did at the stoppages, when on the move and the fly at the championships and being our leading ballwinner, our best player by a country mile, that was a real eye-opener to me and made me realise how good he is.’’

Stephens said Taheny’s talent was, like Pickett’s “through the roof’’.

“Some of the things Cameron can do, no-one else can, he just has to string it all together and become more consistent,’’ he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back