2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We've currently got kids on our list that are going to take around that amount of time before they start to have a consistent senior impact, with the way our senior players are performing. Any kid who gets drafted this year is going to have to be quite special to be able to come in and have an immediate impact.
Yes but skinny kids do sometimes stay skinny kids. For all the Nat Fyfes theres are a lot more Connor Menadue's and Corey Ellis's. No need for immediate impact but development players usually mean they never quite get there.

2020 3rd rounder could possibly become pick #68 with all the academy picks, There could be very little points value attached to that
or could end up higher given that teams will be using multiple 2nd and 3rd picks to pay for players.
Calcium Man beat me too it, its more likely to end up much lower after all the picks are used to match
That's only if we actually take the pick to the draft though, it should be around Pick 48-50, so it could also be used as a trade prior to the draft, especially for those who are needing to acquire draft points

Yes but skinny kids do sometimes stay skinny kids. For all the Nat Fyfes theres are a lot more Connor Menadue's and Corey Ellis's. No need for immediate impact but development players usually mean they never quite get there.
As I said when looking through the profiles you can find some kids that are in the low to mid 180cms high 70s-low 80kgs range but need to do a bit of work to become AFL ready.

I don't mind taking kids like that with where we're at list wise. We've got a strong senior group and a good bunch with a couple of years development already so taking another bunch of kids who might need a bit of development isn't a bad thing as it means we're not rushing them to play before they are ready

Will Day: The Tigers can afford to pick someone who needs a bit of development, and Will Day is exactly that. A great user of the ball, he’s tall but very skinny. Could be elite if he builds up his size..... remind you a bit of Connor Menadue.
Very few skinny half backs make the grade at the top level these days, the game it just too contested and one on one strength especially at half back/wing is so important. Half forwards who put their nose over it like Dan Rioli not such a problem. So no skinny half backs please. Trent Rivers if available, yes please.

It crossed my mind when I saw his profile

As I said when looking through the profiles you can find some kids that are in the low to mid 180cms high 70s-low 80kgs range but need to do a bit of work to become AFL ready.

I don't mind taking kids like that with where we're at list wise. We've got a strong senior group and a good bunch with a couple of years development already so taking another bunch of kids who might need a bit of development isn't a bad thing as it means we're not rushing them to play before they are ready
180cm and mid 70 kg's is fine, that is not overly light. That is Rioli, Stack, Bolton etc, all ground ball players who know how to use their skills even though they are light. Was referencing more the Menadue types 188cm and 69kg's when drafted, who are not ground ball players so therefore have to play taller, which is a hurdle many can't over come,or take too long doing so.

'Kossie'Pickett might be worth a look for one of our picks around that 40 mark.

I know he's small, but Caleb Daniel seems to go alright. With pretty much all of our small forwards playing higher up the ground then streaming into the forward line it might be worth having a stay at home crumber working at the feet of our tall forwards, yes, we also have Aarts on the list, but this bloke could be real good.
What's also interesting is that Marlion Pickett is his uncle, along with Byron. I guess that means that Byron and Marlion are brothers? I wasn't aware of that if indeed that's the case.

A couple of write ups, first one from AFL Draft Central.

pickett.GIF

KYSIAH PICKETT
Few draftees can challenge Kysiah Pickett for incredible AFL bloodlines. As a teenager, he moved from Western Australia to South Australia to live with his uncle Byron, who played 204 games across a career that included stops at North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne. The highlight was the 2004 Power premiership. Meanwhile, his YouTube ‘Greatest AFL bumps’ videos are still favourites among footy fans today. Another one of Kysiah’s uncles is Richmond premiership player Marlion Pickett. Not done there, he has AFL listed cousins on both sides of his family, with Lewis and Neville Jetta on one side and West Coast premiership player Liam Ryan on the other.

*Edit.....Byron and Marlion are cousins

Last edited:

I know he's small, but Caleb Daniel seems to go alright. With pretty much all of our small forwards playing higher up the ground then streaming into the forward line it might be worth having a stay at home crumber working at the feet of our tall forwards, yes, we also have Aarts on the list, but this bloke could be real good.
What's also interesting is that Marlion Pickett is his uncle, along with Byron. I guess that means that Byron and Marlion are brothers? I wasn't aware of that if indeed that's the case.

View attachment 777574

KYSIAH PICKETT
Few draftees can challenge Kysiah Pickett for incredible AFL bloodlines. As a teenager, he moved from Western Australia to South Australia to live with his uncle Byron, who played 204 games across a career that included stops at North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Melbourne. The highlight was the 2004 Power premiership. Meanwhile, his YouTube ‘Greatest AFL bumps’ videos are still favourites among footy fans today. Another one of Kysiah’s uncles is Richmond premiership player Marlion Pickett. Not done there, he has AFL listed cousins on both sides of his family, with Lewis and Neville Jetta on one side and West Coast premiership player Liam Ryan on the other.

Lloyd, Stengle, Butler etc. going out the door recently

KPickett would be a nice fit

Aarts is a bit of an unknown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So can we get Tom green from father son selection or is that not a thing in footy anymore?
His Grandad played for the Tigers (and has 4 premierships to his name)

His Dad played with the Tigers under 19's

So no FS selection, he is however, Tiger royalty, barracks for the Tigers and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers go real hard for him after his initial 2 contract is up

So can we get Tom green from father son selection or is that not a thing in footy anymore?
I wish there was a grandfather clause in there. Michael's Tom's granddad. We'd have to fake the birth certicates or something

His Grandad played for the Tigers (and has 4 premierships to his name)

His Dad played with the Tigers under 19's

So no FS selection, he is however, Tiger royalty, barracks for the Tigers and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers go real hard for him after his initial 2 contract is up
See ow Tom goes first but getting him from GWS will cost us massively in 2022. We might have academy players being available then too. & MR Jnr

180cm and mid 70 kg's is fine, that is not overly light. That is Rioli, Stack, Bolton etc, all ground ball players who know how to use their skills even though they are light. Was referencing more the Menadue types 188cm and 69kg's when drafted, who are not ground ball players so therefore have to play taller, which is a hurdle many can't over come,or take too long doing so.
Will Day is dynamite below his knees and strong in the air. Also has good moves and excellent footy brain. Plus superior disposal off both sides. Just a late developer who only took footy seriously this year and rocketed up boards. Makes Menadue look a little vanilla. Likely to go mid teens now it seems so we'd be lucky if he got to us.

View attachment 777574

KYSIAH PICKETT

Has been invited to draft night. So seems likely he will go first round. Bulldogs is the rumour.

Will Day is dynamite below his knees and strong in the air. Also has good moves and excellent footy brain. Plus superior disposal off both sides. Just a late developer who only took footy seriously this year and rocketed up boards. Makes Menadue look a little vanilla. Likely to go mid teens now it seems so we'd be lucky if he got to us.

any video vision???

Go back to page 23. There's one clip there. He's been discussed at length here.

While he looked good its dangerous to get a read on just one bit of play.

If I am left with one bit of play I would rather a contest that showcased real individual x-factor in an individual senses and not just footy smarts/team combo in terms of weightings for just one play

While he looked good its dangerous to get a read on just one bit of play.

If I am left with one bit of play I would rather a contest that showcased real individual x-factor in an individual senses and not just footy smarts/team combo in terms of weightings for just one play
If you were serious you'd go and do your homework and at the very least, read the entire thread before making long shot calls and dissing on players you haven't seen or followed. I'm sure you'd "rather" some different vision. Go and find some yourself. Last time I give you a pointer. Nobody "left" you with one bit of play, you left yourself. I simply pointed out that there have been conversations and a clip about Will Day only a few pages back which you clearly didn't bother to read before writing him off.
Professional AFL recruiters rate him mid teens to early 20s, you don't. I know who I'm putting my money on.

If you were serious you'd go and do your homework and at the very least, read the entire thread before making long shot calls and dissing on players you haven't seen or followed. I'm sure you'd "rather" some different vision. Go and find some yourself. Last time I give you a pointer. Nobody "left" you with one bit of play, you left yourself. I simply pointed out that there have been conversations and a clip about Will Day only a few pages back which you clearly didn't bother to read before writing him off.
Professional AFL recruiters rate him mid teens to early 20s, you don't. I know who I'm putting my money on.

I have not dissed on the player.

I stated he looked good. That in my mind is not dissing on the player. Your tone suggests you need to control your emotions and not look at comments too negatively!!

As a comparison for a one bit of play I prefer Buddy Franklin's goal I think for WA pre-draft as more relevant in terms of assessing one bit of play in terms of projections.

As for research, I have tried the google searches etc... and a lot of video on players is simply not available. I am not going to be foolish and bark up trees where what I am looking for is not there wasting my time and not helping others.

Usually I use the technique player name, video on the search engines and in the past that would be sufficient. Maybe add in afl and/or draft but obviously to early for that this year.

Now I will have a look at this other supposed vision.

I would rather you not get your knickers in a knot if I lack your knowledge of content on the thread and decide to not go through pages and pages of a thread in search for something that may not be there!! You stated go back to page 23!!. Further you say a few pages back in your above comment, from page 23 or this page. I will try both but I will not die chasing something up a garden path!!

By the way, how have I made a long shot call?? Hopefully from more experience you will be more circumspect because your ideology appears disconnected with the real world and what you anticipate from fellow humans as time goes on!!

Went back a couple of pages from 23 and this page so I think I will put you on the over promise under deliver camp. I am not dissing on Day, but I am dissing on you!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back