2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We won't be leaving Stack, Soldo and Pickett as rookies. They'll be getting rewarded with proper contracts. Same with DES, maybe he does one more year as a rookie but we won't be maxing out his time on the cat b rookie list then the normal rookie list before upgrading him. This isn't fantasy football.

Think Soldo is already on the main list.

Why you would upgrade DES early as Next Generation Academy payments are outside the cap so there is a big benefit to keeping him there. An extra player on your list.

I think Pickett and Chol will stay on the rookie list, but Baker and Stack will be upgraded.

With Ellis, Grigg and Butler already gone off the senior list, that means we have to delist 4 more senior players to use all of picks 19, 38, 39, 41 and 56 at the draft with our current senior/rookie list split.

I've got Miller and Moore down as probable delistings, with Menadue a strong possibility too (perhaps with an offer to re-rookie). There's no one else uncontracted so if we want to use all those draft picks we're gonna have to switch from 38/6 senior list/rookie list to 39/5 (most likely) or even 38/4.

The other thing we'll probably attempt is to try and package some picks to trade up the order. For example, we could trade 38, 39 and 41 to Freo in exchange for 22 and a later pick/future pick.

I think Freo's preference will be to try and gain a future pick for 22 though.

Would like to see Miller rookied, has too many tools to let go. Never really had a crack up forward.
Reckon Menadue might find himself on the rookie list, Markov was lucky he signed up early in the season.
Callum Moore is 50/50.
Townsend will go you'd think. Aarts also. Ellis, Grigg and Butler. Weller gone.
Few nervous boys.

The other thing we'll probably attempt is to try and package some picks to trade up the order. For example, we could trade 38, 39 and 41 to Freo in exchange for 22 and a later pick/future pick.

I think Freo's preference will be to try and gain a future pick for 22 though.

just trade with someone who needs points

Posted this elsewhere, but any word on Fischer McAsey? Reckon he is the exact type of player we need to bring in and could be around our pick. Knightmare says this about him:

14. Fischer McAsey
Best position:
Key defence
Height, weight: 195cm, 86kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 5-25
Plays like: Darcy Moore
September Ranking: 11
Rationale: Winner of Vic Metro's MVP and the premier key defender in this draft. Drops as others rise.
Strengths: Intercept marking, reading of the drop of the ball, contested marking, marking on the lead, aerial marking, attack on ball aerially, closing speed, leap, aggressive spoiling, reliable kick out in front of targets to lead onto, courageous, versatility to hold down key position posts at either end.
Weaknesses: One-on-one strength, one-on-one marking.

Is rated highly and will be gone by pick #19 imo

According to the RFC website these players are on the rookie list.

Weller.....retired
Aarts.....rookied 2019
Towner...rookied 2019
Chol......re-rookied 2019
DES.......NGA 2018
Stack PSSD 2018
Baker.....rookied 2018
Pickett...MSRD 2019

We can have up to 40 on the senior list.
And with 40 we can have 7 rookies.

On the senior list we currently have 38 with..

Grigg....retired
Butts...traded
Ellis......traded

and ? over

Miller
Menadue
Moore
on the senior list

with ? over
Aarts and Towner on the rookie list.

Without de-listings and rookie upgrades we currently have 5 spots available on the senior list.
And zero spots available on the rookie list.

Our current ND draft picks are....19, 38, 39, 41 and 56.

My expectation is that these go off the senior list
Miller......delist
Moore....rookie
Menadue. rookie

Upgrade these from the rookie list
Pickett
Stack
Baker

Maybe delist Towner.

I think this gives us 5 vacant spots on the main list and 2 spots on the rookie list.

Amirite with this? Or have I ****ed it up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We currently have 35 senior listed players.

Baker Chol & Stack are being upgraded to the senior list which takes us to 38.

Menadue Miller & Moore out of contract would need all 3 to be delisted to be able to take 5 picks in the draft, which takes us to maximum 40 senior listed players.

IMO we should keep Menadue and take 19 38 39 & 41 to the draft.

Aarts DES & Pickett would be the remaining rookies.
Seems reasonable, however I know that certain influential people in the club rate Miller highly, and the reason he hasn't shown much yet is because he hasn't been able to get his body right. He came from a long way off AFL fitness standards, and in trying to catch up has had injuries. If there is faith he can get into AFL shape, I'd bet Miller gets rookied, at the very least.

Was thinking about this the other day, and realized that for the first time I recall, I'm completely at ease about it all.

Our club is clearly enough of a destination that if any noticeable holes open up in years to come, we can trade in quality to fill them, meaning we can genuinely draft the 'best available' with every pick, and the recruiting team clearly does pretty well (not all hits of course, but a pretty good strike rate), so I trust them to make those calls.

So I'll just sit back and appreciate whoever we get.

It's a good feeling.

We won't be leaving Stack, Soldo and Pickett as rookies. They'll be getting rewarded with proper contracts. Same with DES, maybe he does one more year as a rookie but we won't be maxing out his time on the cat b rookie list then the normal rookie list before upgrading him. This isn't fantasy football.
My understanding is Baker, Pickett and Stack have been contracted. What im not sure about is if that means they are now on the list proper or they have been given new rookie contracts. Iassume its the former.

D-E-S rookie contract runs out 2019 so what do we do with him? rerookie or promote to list proper, If they can id say they will rerookie him but imo hes done/shown enough to get a spot on the list proper.

Chol is rookie contracted i believe until 2021.

Do we need at least 3 delistings from the list proper just to fit in Stack, Pickett, Baker?.

Those that are gone and those that remain uncontracted
Grigg, Ellis, Butler are gone Menadue, Moore, Miller on the list proper being uncontracted i reckon all are gone.
Weller, Aarts and Townsend are the rookies whose contracts are up with Weller gone.I wonder what we will do with Aarts and Townsend.

As i have said im all over the place about this and not sure what we have to do. If we do promote the 3 rookies that means 3 nd picks are used up 74/76/94??? which would leave picks 19 38 39 41 56 in the nd and 3 or 4 rookie picks.

Last edited:
Very hard to build a case for Moore. Surely Chol, Balta CJ play before him if a replacement is needed for Jack/Tom or we go down the 3rd tall path.

Miller - will be lucky to be retained even as a rookie. Watched 8-10 VFL games and honestly saw nothing to suggest he’s capable of making the next step

Towna has slipped well down the queue and no longer an option

Aarts I’m not sure about, lacks a yard but does keep putting himself in the right spots, 50/50

We currently have 35 senior listed players.

Baker Chol & Stack are being upgraded to the senior list which takes us to 38.

Menadue Miller & Moore out of contract would need all 3 to be delisted to be able to take 5 picks in the draft, which takes us to maximum 40 senior listed players.

IMO we should keep Menadue and take 19 38 39 & 41 to the draft.

Aarts DES & Pickett would be the remaining rookies.
I think we will keep Menadue.

Townsend will be delisted.

It will be interesting to see if we can package pick 56 and 41 for a pick in the 30s

My understanding is Baker, Pickett and Stack have been contracted. What im not sure about is if that means they are now on the list proper or they have been given new rookie contracts. Iassume its the former.

D-E-S rookie contract runs out 2019 so what do we do with him? rerookie or promote to list proper, If they can id say they will rerookie him but imo hes done/shown enough to get a spot on the list proper.

Chol is rookie contracted i believe until 2021.

Do we need at least 3 delistings from the list proper just to fit in Stack, Pickett, Baker?.

Those that are gone and those that remain uncontracted
Grigg, Ellis, Butler are gone Menadue, Moore, Miller on the list proper being uncontracted i reckon all are gone.
Weller, Aarts and Townsend are the rookies whose contracts are up with Weller gone.I wonder what we will do with Aarts and Townsend.

As i have said im all over the place about this and not sure what we have to do. If we do promote the 3 rookies that means 3 nd picks are used up 74/76/94??? which would leave picks 19 38 39 41 56 in the nd and 3 or 4 rookie picks.
It's pretty ******* hard to know what the situation is until our 2nd list lodgement which is the 12/11, IIRC.

But from my understanding, it looks like we'll take 5 live picks to the ND plus a couple of rookie spots. (depending on delistings etc)

Don't know what the go is with SSP or the MSRD though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back