2019 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

We will at least publicly say we are keeping Baker, Stack & Chol on the rookie list until after the draft so that we can have 5 picks on the draft board- 18, 38,39, 41 & 56. If we announce we are upgrading one/multiple of those players early we aren't able to trade away the later picks. I can see up packaging up some of 38, 39, 41 & 56 into either a higher pick this year or picks for 2020, then only actually drafting 2-3 players and upgrading the rookies then.
We can still have 4-5 picks on the draft board as we only have 33 senior listed and can have up to 40 senior listed players. So it doesn't make a difference if we announced we were upgrading Baker & Stack as Chol was already announced as remaining on the rookie list as we only need to use our last 2 picks in the draft to do so and it happens immediately once the list lodged with the AFL.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Best thing with those picks is that we get to 'cherry pick' the best 3 players at that range with no interference.

We don't have 40!
1572593280575.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ivansarmy

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Pretty sure Baker and Stack will be upgraded after the draft. Just keeping them there at the moment to give us the option of using our later picks to either move up the order this year or trade them for picks next year for points. E.g we won’t use our picks in the 70s but another club that has no picks like West Coast might want one so we trade it for a future fourth giving us some points for next year if we take an academy or father son.

Pretty sure Baker and Stack will be upgraded after the draft. Just keeping them there at the moment to give us the option of using our later picks to either move up the order this year or trade them for picks next year for points. E.g we won’t use our picks in the 70s but another club that has no picks like West Coast might want one so we trade it for a future fourth giving us some points for next year if we take an academy or father son.
I'm not 100% sure on this but was reading the rules around rookies and my understanding is that payments made to players on the rookie list aren't included in the TPP. So if we've got cap issues for next year, then keeping them on the rookie list would make sense. With the changes in the rules around playing rookies in the AFL side not requiring them being elevated to do so there is no real need to promote them if we don't have to.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Trade #38,#39 & #41 (1323 points) to freo for their picks #22 & #58 (1015 points)
We take #22 #56 #58 & #75 in the draft.
#19 - Josh Worrell (KPD&KPF)/Cooper Stephens(Mid)
#22 - Jeremy Sharp(Def)/Sam De Koning(KPD)/Miles Bergman(Wing)/Trent Bianco(Def)/Trent Rivers(Mid/Def)
#56 - Hugo Ralphsmith (Wing/HF)
#58 - Thomson Dow (Mid/Fwd
#75 - Charlie Coomben (KPF/Ruck)
Dees apparently very keen too bid on Henry with pick 8.
Will force Freo to use pick 10.
We should offer Freo.Pick 19 & future 1st
for Picks 10 & future 3rd.

10/38/39/41/56

ivansarmy

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not 100% sure on this but was reading the rules around rookies and my understanding is that payments made to players on the rookie list aren't included in the TPP. So if we've got cap issues for next year, then keeping them on the rookie list would make sense. With the changes in the rules around playing rookies in the AFL side not requiring them being elevated to do so there is no real need to promote them if we don't have to.

Good points I wasn’t aware of this. I was just thinking if we use all our list spots we might rather Stack and Baker on the main list as they already have 2 year contracts. Then we might take a few kids as rookies and we are only committed for the 1 year. Guess it depends on whether we have the maximum number of players on our main list. Spose it’s a good chance we will go 38 instead of 40 again

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
If we are keeping them all on the rookie list then I can still only see us taking 3 or 4 picks in this draft at the most.
Otherwise we'll have put ourselves in a really tricky position with a bunch of new players on 2 year deals from this draft and no spaces to promote Baker, Stack, Pickett or Chol at the end of 2020.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Its nice watching teams try to be us.
Great ain't it.
They think you can buy into it by buying into via a book,Poaching off field staff or players.
May they continue to fail. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back