Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Starting to heat up now. Bergman and Pickett both gone from the 20-40 range to being invited to the draft. Could still go outside the top 20 but it does show recruiters rate these players a lot differently to the average draft watcher and I expect come draft day their will be a few more bolters which makes the draft more open and interesting.

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
So far in the bigfooty phantom draft Pie 4 Life has Richmond and has selected the following:

Pick 21 - Richmond - Will Day
West Adelaide/South Australia | Defender
06/05/2001 | 189cm | 76kg

Day is one of those half-backs with a good size in terms of height, but has to add bulk to his frame. Really rate the kid and think he has a high upside. The reason behind the selection for the Tigers is two-fold. First-off, Day is best available in my eyes, and secondly, Day can fit that Brandon Ellis departure, with a few more tricks. He is not a day one player, but in saying that, I think he is a player who will put his best foot forward and develop quickly in the Tigers' camp. He will fill the void of a lovely kick on either side, and his athleticism is superb for a player at the end of the first round. His footy IQ is also quite high, with his strength and developing more of an inside game - he averages in the 20s for contested possession rate with his 80%-plus efficiency - as areas of improvement. Overall he's a nice packaged player and I think Richmond fans could be excited when he wins the ball.

#38 Fraser Phillips
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
15/05/2001 | 187cm | 82kg

One of my personal favourites, Phillips is highly underrated in this year's AFL Draft crop, but think if he could live up to the hype and potential, he could become one of the best players from this year. He is quite raw still, has consistency issues and needs to build his endurance, but what he offers is something really unique compared to others. Playing high or deep forward, Phillips is a player that oozes X-factor and just knows where the goals are. His goal sense is something special and can create goals or set up scoring opportunities for his teammates with his ability to create something out of nothing. Phillips has a penetrating kick that when he is up and about, is one of the few who can wheel around and slot a goal from outside 50. In terms of upside, he's in my top five and Richmond seems like a perfect fit for him, and he can also develop into a running midfielder in time, with some nice athletic traits outside of his vertical leap which could improve. He is still building into his body, but he is one that I cannot ignore at this range given what he offers compared to others.

#39 Darcy Cassar
Western Jets/Vic Metro
31/07/2001 | 184cm | 82kg

There is no secret others on here rate Cassar more than I do, but similar to Phillips, I rate what he could become. He has shown an ability to play at either end or through the midfield, with more power to his game and an ability to read the ball and pick the right option with disposal more often than not. His versatility to play forward or back, or even along the wing would be a tick, and some rated him as a top 20 prospect coming into 2019. He had a mid-season purple patch in the NAB League where he racked up 30+ disposals on multiple occasions, but did not have the Under-18 Championships he would have liked which might have knocked him back a little in the order. It was hard for him having spent the season playing at defence and having to adapt back to the forward line for the championships, but similar to Phillips has good upside. He uses the ball well and can rack up the rebounds out of defence when playing there, which I can see Richmond utilising him in that role, eventually developing into a midfielder. He could take a similar path to a Brayden Maynard in starting at half-back and pinch-hitting through the midfield, offering a stronger body than Will Day who was offered earlier. More than anything, he is best available at this pick for me, outside one of my other favourites who unfortunately I don't think the Tigers need, so did not want to select him.

#42 Karl Finlay
North Adelaide/South Australia | Tall Defender
14/07/2001 | 192cm | 88kg

I was tossing up between the South Australian defenders at this point between Finlay and Hilder, but thought Finlay would be the better fit due to being a more agile defender. He does give up a bit of height compared to Hilder at 192cm, but could provide equal offensive power as well as defensive stopping ability. His contested marking and one-on-ones is really strong, he reads the play well and positions himself strongly behind the ball. Anyone who saw him at GMHBA Stadium against Vic Country as an example saw what he could offer. He is also captain at his school for both football and as prefect, so he's got the leadership trait as well. He has a few areas to work on, such as his ground balls and decision making at times, but as a whole, for a player at this range, he fits the bill and can play tall or small given his strength in the air and intercept marking ability. I envisage that Finlay is capable of playing a couple of games if called upon in Year 1, but more likely a Year 2 prospect onwards. Having played at all three levels in the SANFL, he is capable of matching it against senior bodies, and is perfect for a Tigers team that might want reinforcements over the next couple of years who can come in and play a role rather than a speculative tall type.

#56 Darcy Chirgwin
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Inside Midfielder
25/07/2001 | 191cm | 80kg

An inside midfielder yet to fulfil his full potential, Chirgwin is that prototype inside midfielder at 191cm and 80kg. We'll start with the areas he could improve - his athleticism, in particular his speed, as well as his kicking which can be a bit iffy, mostly due to the speed which saw him clock 3.18 seconds in the 20m sprint. However, what he lacks in athleticism - and let's face it at Pick 56 every prospect is going to have a knock - he makes up for in his contested work. He missed the first part of the year due to injury but came in and had a massive impact with a couple of back-to-back best on grounds to squeeze into Vic Country's side - before an injury in the first term struck him down again. His clearance and tackling numbers are elite with more than five clearances and basically eight tackles per game to accompany his 24.7 touches in the NAB League. He's a greater than 50 per cent contested ball winner, so he is built for the inside game, and if he can build his speed and perhaps add an extra element in terms of his scoreboard impact, he could be a more damaging outside force. But given the Tigers' strength through the midfield, Chirgwin is a player who could impact in Year 2-3 and eventually take over from the famed onball brigade.

Last edited:

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
So far in the bigfooty phantom draft Pie 4 Life has Richmond and has selected the following:

Pick 21 - Richmond - Will Day
West Adelaide/South Australia | Defender
06/05/2001 | 189cm | 76kg

Day is one of those half-backs with a good size in terms of height, but has to add bulk to his frame. Really rate the kid and think he has a high upside. The reason behind the selection for the Tigers is two-fold. First-off, Day is best available in my eyes, and secondly, Day can fit that Brandon Ellis departure, with a few more tricks. He is not a day one player, but in saying that, I think he is a player who will put his best foot forward and develop quickly in the Tigers' camp. He will fill the void of a lovely kick on either side, and his athleticism is superb for a player at the end of the first round. His footy IQ is also quite high, with his strength and developing more of an inside game - he averages in the 20s for contested possession rate with his 80%-plus efficiency - as areas of improvement. Overall he's a nice packaged player and I think Richmond fans could be excited when he wins the ball.

#38 Fraser Phillips
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
15/05/2001 | 187cm | 82kg

One of my personal favourites, Phillips is highly underrated in this year's AFL Draft crop, but think if he could live up to the hype and potential, he could become one of the best players from this year. He is quite raw still, has consistency issues and needs to build his endurance, but what he offers is something really unique compared to others. Playing high or deep forward, Phillips is a player that oozes X-factor and just knows where the goals are. His goal sense is something special and can create goals or set up scoring opportunities for his teammates with his ability to create something out of nothing. Phillips has a penetrating kick that when he is up and about, is one of the few who can wheel around and slot a goal from outside 50. In terms of upside, he's in my top five and Richmond seems like a perfect fit for him, and he can also develop into a running midfielder in time, with some nice athletic traits outside of his vertical leap which could improve. He is still building into his body, but he is one that I cannot ignore at this range given what he offers compared to others.

#39 Darcy Cassar
Western Jets/Vic Metro
31/07/2001 | 184cm | 82kg

There is no secret others on here rate Cassar more than I do, but similar to Phillips, I rate what he could become. He has shown an ability to play at either end or through the midfield, with more power to his game and an ability to read the ball and pick the right option with disposal more often than not. His versatility to play forward or back, or even along the wing would be a tick, and some rated him as a top 20 prospect coming into 2019. He had a mid-season purple patch in the NAB League where he racked up 30+ disposals on multiple occasions, but did not have the Under-18 Championships he would have liked which might have knocked him back a little in the order. It was hard for him having spent the season playing at defence and having to adapt back to the forward line for the championships, but similar to Phillips has good upside. He uses the ball well and can rack up the rebounds out of defence when playing there, which I can see Richmond utilising him in that role, eventually developing into a midfielder. He could take a similar path to a Brayden Maynard in starting at half-back and pinch-hitting through the midfield, offering a stronger body than Will Day who was offered earlier. More than anything, he is best available at this pick for me, outside one of my other favourites who unfortunately I don't think the Tigers need, so did not want to select him.

#42 Karl Finlay
North Adelaide/South Australia | Tall Defender
14/07/2001 | 192cm | 88kg

I was tossing up between the South Australian defenders at this point between Finlay and Hilder, but thought Finlay would be the better fit due to being a more agile defender. He does give up a bit of height compared to Hilder at 192cm, but could provide equal offensive power as well as defensive stopping ability. His contested marking and one-on-ones is really strong, he reads the play well and positions himself strongly behind the ball. Anyone who saw him at GMHBA Stadium against Vic Country as an example saw what he could offer. He is also captain at his school for both football and as prefect, so he's got the leadership trait as well. He has a few areas to work on, such as his ground balls and decision making at times, but as a whole, for a player at this range, he fits the bill and can play tall or small given his strength in the air and intercept marking ability. I envisage that Finlay is capable of playing a couple of games if called upon in Year 1, but more likely a Year 2 prospect onwards. Having played at all three levels in the SANFL, he is capable of matching it against senior bodies, and is perfect for a Tigers team that might want reinforcements over the next couple of years who can come in and play a role rather than a speculative tall type.

#56 Darcy Chirgwin
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro | Inside Midfielder
25/07/2001 | 191cm | 80kg

An inside midfielder yet to fulfil his full potential, Chirgwin is that prototype inside midfielder at 191cm and 80kg. We'll start with the areas he could improve - his athleticism, in particular his speed, as well as his kicking which can be a bit iffy, mostly due to the speed which saw him clock 3.18 seconds in the 20m sprint. However, what he lacks in athleticism - and let's face it at Pick 56 every prospect is going to have a knock - he makes up for in his contested work. He missed the first part of the year due to injury but came in and had a massive impact with a couple of back-to-back best on grounds to squeeze into Vic Country's side - before an injury in the first term struck him down again. His clearance and tackling numbers are elite with more than five clearances and basically eight tackles per game to accompany his 24.7 touches in the NAB League. He's a greater than 50 per cent contested ball winner, so he is built for the inside game, and if he can build his speed and perhaps add an extra element in terms of his scoreboard impact, he could be a more damaging outside force. But given the Tigers' strength through the midfield, Chirgwin is a player who could impact in Year 2-3 and eventually take over from the famed onball brigade.
He's a very knowledgable fella.......rate his picks. Although I think there'll be a fair bit of pick trading which this phantom hasn't done, could be a lot of variance in the picks and players available.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Haven’t followed the draft at all but got you guys filling up the numbers in the Dogs mock draft.

Can’t say I know much of this draft outside the top 15 or so and even then I’ve only seen highlights of them. As such I was using the draft central draft guide to assist my selections.

Here’s what they said about my picks

Pick 20 - Cooper Stephens

View attachment 775540

Pick 39 - Cameron Taheny

View attachment 775542

Pick 40 - Fraser Phillips

View attachment 775543

Pick 42 - Trey Ruscoe

View attachment 775544

Pick 57 - Brock Smith

View attachment 775545

Those picks make sense for you guys?

Don’t think you’ll take five picks to the draft but couldn’t find a way to trade up in the draft.

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Haven’t followed the draft at all but got you guys filling up the numbers in the Dogs mock draft.

Those picks make sense for you guys?

Don’t think you’ll take five picks to the draft but couldn’t find a way to trade up in the draft.
That'd a great haul! Taheny at 39 is a steal! I'd prefer Hilder or Finlay but Ruscoe is a good pick.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
this Stack character sounds promising also

just trade up to get them...

our first rounder will be 18-20 next season anyway
Please excuse the intrusion

The Hawks could help the Tigers move up the draft order for their 2nd pick with a pick swap Win/Win

Richmond swap picks 38 (465) and 39 (446) = total points 911 for
Hawthorns Picks 30 (629), 54 (220) and 63 (112) = 961pts

Benefit to Richmond: Their 2nd pick moves up from 38 to 30
Benefit to Hawthorn: The Hawks will likely lose picks 30 and 42 when they match a bid on Finn McGuinness anyway meaning Picks 38 & 39 will do the job just as well. Then the Hawks 3rd pick will move up from pick 54 to 42.

Thoughts?

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond

The Hawks could help the Tigers move up the draft order for their 2nd pick with a pick swap Win/Win

Benefit to Hawthorn: The Hawks will likely lose picks 30 and 42 when they match a bid on Finn McGuinness anyway meaning Picks 38 & 39 will do the job just as well. Then the Hawks 3rd pick will move up from pick 54 to 42.

Thoughts?
Losing 39 makes no sense.

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Thoughts?
I don't mind this. Despite talk about the evenness of the draft, it is more likely that DeKoenig (or someone we rate) is available at 30 than 38.
It does depend how many picks Richmond plan on using.
If we are thinking 3 picks, this is definitely a win-win.
If we are thinking 4 picks or more, then our 4th pick is downgraded from 41 to 54, while our 2nd is upgraded from 38 to 30. Probably still worth it.

I'd like to consider trading 38 & 56 for just your 30, but that doesn't help protect your pick 42.
Probably would settle on our 38 (465) and 41 (412) = 877 points for your 30 (629). And swap your 54 with our 56. 63 not fussed, neither likely to use it, probably goes to whoever may consider using it.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers

Thoughts?
Why would Richmond want picks #54+#63 ?

Why not just do
Richmond
Out:#39+#56 = 640 points
In : #30

Hawks out
#30 = 629 points
In: #39+#56 = 640 points

Hawks points will just get consumed by the bid

Richmonds picks
#19+#30+#38+41

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Thoughts?
Wouldn't suit us because ideally we would like to keep our senior list to 38 players by drafting 3 players only. Moving our 2nd pick higher and keeping one of 38/39 or 41 would make more sense.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Why would Richmond want picks #54+#63 ?

Why not just do
Richmond
Out:#39+#56 = 640 points
In : #30

Hawks out
#30 = 629 points
In: #39+#56 = 640 points

Hawks points will just get consumed by the bid

Richmonds picks
#19+#30+#38+41

You may as well give up 38 instead of 39. Hawthorn gets about 20 more points, after the picks get eaten up from the Maginness bid the 39 will move up one anyway.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You may as well give up 38 instead of 39. Hawthorn gets about 20 more points, after the picks get eaten up from the Maginness bid the 39 will move up one anyway.
Makes no difference really and will all depend on what points are required

I would much prefer to trade #38+#41 to fremantle to their pick #22
38+41+56 is 1071 points and is enough for a bid at pick #12 their pick 22 is 845 points and the bid would need to come after 16 for the dockers to cover the points without losing their #58 pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Makes no difference really and will all depend on what points are required

I would much prefer to trade #38+#41 to fremantle to their pick #22
38+41+56 is 1071 points and is enough for a bid at pick #12 their pick 22 is 845 points and the bid would need to come after 16 for the dockers to cover the points without losing their #58 pick
I agree.
Freo's pick 22 is the one to aim for.
Otherwise
Port's 29 or Hawthorn's 30 are also picks we could obtain as they will lose them in bid-matching anyway.

However:
Adelaide - 37, 45, 49
Brisbane - 34, 48, 52, 55
can offer similar or better points than we can.
Guess we'll just wait and see.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't mind this. Despite talk about the evenness of the draft, it is more likely that DeKoenig (or someone we rate) is available at 30 than 38.
It does depend how many picks Richmond plan on using.
If we are thinking 3 picks, this is definitely a win-win.
If we are thinking 4 picks or more, then our 4th pick is downgraded from 41 to 54, while our 2nd is upgraded from 38 to 30. Probably still worth it.

I'd like to consider trading 38 & 56 for just your 30, but that doesn't help protect your pick 42.
Probably would settle on our 38 (465) and 41 (412) = 877 points for your 30 (629). And swap your 54 with our 56. 63 not fussed, neither likely to use it, probably goes to whoever may consider using it.
You hit the nail on the head smurfin. Also, your last trade would probably still work.

Most draft Guru's have a bid on McGinness at pick 15 (1112pts). With the f/s 20% discount this comes to 890pts. Picks 38(465) & 39(446) = 911pts can cover that leaving the Hawks next pick at 42. If we took picks 38 and 41 (total 877pts) the Hawks pick 42 would be moved backwards, which reduces the value of the swap for the Hawks.

Clearly this swap only works if Richmond are keen on a player who may not make it to pick 38 but is likely to be available at 30 (e.g. possibly Sam De Koning). Or if the tigers then use pick 30 to move further up the draft order.

Live Trading: another way to go is to wait until draft night to see where the bid comes on McGinness. If he slips to pick 16 or further, picks 38 and 41 would work well.

Thanks guys for considering the idea. I appreciate your comments.

Last edited:

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Rubbish.

Clubs can now trade their picks AFTER a bid is made. I don't like this decision.

It could be good for us though, given that we are likely looking to trade up our picks.
Should a bid come in, we may be able to use our 38,39 & 41 to give a team more points and take their pick that they would have needed to use to match

Roksman

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
It could be good for us though, given that we are likely looking to trade up our picks.
Should a bid come in, we may be able to use our 38,39 & 41 to give a team more points and take their pick that they would have needed to use to match
It could be good but could be bad, who knows?

I just get a bad feeling that clubs who needed to trade out, can now much easier source the "best deal" now rather than "a deal". That's the whole point of live trading, you don't know if the bid is coming and you must be calculated and take risks. The whole thing seems very scripted now and all clubs will just wait for a bid and get a good deal... Seems like the element of risk has been removed which is idiotic by the AFL (again).

Last edited:

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Wouldn't suit us because ideally we would like to keep our senior list to 38 players by drafting 3 players only. Moving our 2nd pick higher and keeping one of 38/39 or 41 would make more sense.
This what u think we'll do or is it more than a hunch? ;)
if so could we be looking to package the 3 2nd/3rd rd picks to upgrade them for 2 better picks?

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
It could be good but could be bad, who knows?

I just get a bad feeling that clubs who needed to trade out, can now much easier source the "best deal" now rather than "a deal". That's the whole point of live trading, you don't know if the bid is coming and you must be calculated and take risks. The whole thing seems very scripted now and all clubs will just wait for a bid and get a good deal... Seems like the element of risk has been removed which is idiotic by the AFL (again).
One gets the feeling the Clubs had been told to make no pick swaps during trade & save them for the draft when they can get more exposure for the draft then...

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This what u think we'll do or is it more than a hunch? ;)
if so could we be looking to package the 3 2nd/3rd rd picks to upgrade them for 2 better picks?
Logical thought process, as the extra 2 spots will make list management far easier at the end next year.

It is hard to predict how players perform in the next 12 months but would expect that not many of the older guys will retire until 2021 at the earliest. That will mean that we will have trade / delist fringe players and trade contracted players to make list places. I would also expect that Pickett and DES will also get elevated at the end of next season.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
A quick long kicking wing/defender is probably what we need most. Then a mid and a tall back/forward. Was hoping we kept Moore as he looked like a good replacement for Jack down the track. But had a lot of injuries the last two years

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
A quick long kicking wing/defender is probably what we need most. Then a mid and a tall back/forward. Was hoping we kept Moore as he looked like a good replacement for Jack down the track. But had a lot of injuries the last two years
Moore could not hit the side of a barn with a banjo, his kicking is not in the same postcode as Jack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back