2019 Draft

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
No DES is a CatB rookie, but the club choosing not to fill the vacant spot in the Rookie Draft or SSP
that doesnt make any sense, as if he is a CAT B then we cant play him unless there is a LTI. A CAT A can be selected any time, so to nobble ourselves with the services of a player just doesn't pass the pub test.

ill wait for proof that des is category A before i kill my future Stack/Pickett dream of one more player this season
The club had to submit it's list on November 12th to the AFL which then finalises the drafts as well as TPP projections and retained rookies. We had just the 5 senior list spots available, which is why we never had a rookie pick in the draft to pass on, had we had the spot available we would have been listed in the rookie draft, even if we had no intention of taking the pick and saving it, we still have to be allocated the pick.

So as I have said repeatedly, the only spots we have left for 2020 are cat B rookie spots, which are available to either international recruits i.e. Irish players, NSW scholarship players or non Australian Rules athletes i.e. those who have not been registered with an Australian Rules club over the last 3 years.

By doing this it allows us to select any of our rookies at any time, meaning that DES could play from round 1 if his form warranted, otherwise we would need to wait until there was a LTI or mid season retirement to open up a spot for him to be eligible for selection.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
There are many other attributes that I would prefer over “height” in midfield.

Richmond have convinced me that clearances are overrated. We were 18th in the competition from scoring from stoppages. We won two flags without having a “big bodied mid”. Plus clearances are usually just hack kicks forward.

How many of the best midfielders in the history of the game are over 190cm?
666 was suppose to be our downfall they said.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
There are many other attributes that I would prefer over “height” in midfield.

Richmond have convinced me that clearances are overrated. We were 18th in the competition from scoring from stoppages. We won two flags without having a “big bodied mid”. Plus clearances are usually just hack kicks forward.

How many of the best midfielders in the history of the game are over 190cm?
Just off the top of my head 189+ currently playing

Fyfe , Bont , Cripps , Kennedy , Yeo , Dangerfield , Pendlebury , Macrae , Dunkley ,

Sash Cat

Debutant
Nov 27, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Just off the top of my head 189+ currently playing

Fyfe , Bont , Cripps , Kennedy , Yeo , Dangerfield , Pendlebury , Macrae , Dunkley ,
I’m aware there are good midfielders over 189cm but the obsession with height is bewildering considering the best of the best midfielders are all under 189cm. They are also spoken about as if they are a necessity.

The great midfields in the modern era (yes, I’ve included Richmond):

Geelong: Ablett (182cm), Selwood (182cm), Bartel (187cm)

Hawthorn: Mitchell (180cm), Hodge (185cm), Lewis (178cm)

West Coast: Judd (189cm), Kerr (178cm), Cousins (178cm)

Brisbane: Black (185cm), Akermanis (177cm), Voss (183cm)

Richmond: Cotchin (185cm), Martin (187cm), Prestia (175cm)

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m aware there are good midfielders over 189cm but the obsession with height is bewildering considering the best of the best midfielders are all under 189cm. They are also spoken about as if they are a necessity.

I do agree with you to a point, some people put far too much emphasis on height, especially when there's only a couple of cm in it.
That being said, evolution is always increasing the heights of AFL players, remember Dusty is the same height as CHF Royce Hart and taller than the ruckman Jack Dyer.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

jordan Lewis is 186, although doesn’t change your point.

but I agree with Infamy, players are getting taller in all positions. Doesn’t mean you can’t play, Prestia’s low center of gravity is a blessing, but height and weight do confer certain physical advantages, harder to tackle, greater reach, hands up higher etc..

But a nicely rounded and complimentary midfield, with different types and strengths, works best.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

dusty is huge - 6'2 / 6'3 and a wall - CHF type 10-20-30 years ago, bont is a gun, fyfe is a monster, danger aint small, cripps is keeping carlton from folding

the best ones seem to be big...

fingers crossed on RCD

Judd and Bartel has some size

Sash Cat

Debutant
Nov 27, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
jordan Lewis is 186, although doesn’t change your point.

but I agree with Infamy, players are getting taller in all positions. Doesn’t mean you can’t play, Prestia’s low center of gravity is a blessing, but height and weight do confer certain physical advantages, harder to tackle, greater reach, hands up higher etc..

But a nicely rounded and complimentary midfield, with different types and strengths, works best.
Smaller midfielders have their advantages too. They are generally more agile, skilful, evasive, mobile and are quicker, better below the knees, etc.

People just seem to be getting sucked into the taller midfielders on the back of the success of Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, etc. but for every Marcus Bontempelli, there’s about 20 Will Brodies. A lot of the successful midfields this century have comprised just small to medium sized midfielders.

Plus key forwards grew because they use their height more frequently and effectively than midfielders. Midfielders don’t need height. It can help but it can also hinder.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Smaller midfielders have their advantages too. They are generally more agile, skilful, evasive, mobile and are quicker, better below the knees, etc.

People just seem to be getting sucked into the taller midfielders on the back of the success of Cripps, Bont, Fyfe, etc. but for every Marcus Bontempelli, there’s about 20 Will Brodies. A lot of the successful midfields this century have comprised just small to medium sized midfielders.

Plus key forwards grew because they use their height more frequently and effectively than midfielders. Midfielders don’t need height. It can help but it can also hinder.

being a midget can hinder too

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
If he was Cat B we would have had the spot allocated to us, like Melbourne had their 2 spots allocated to them in the Rookie draft to pass on, but we weren't. Also being a Cat B rookie would stop him from being selected to play unless we had a long term injury. By changing him to a Cat A rookie we remove that restriction
Don't think the AFL article is accurate. DES a CatB rookie according to Draft Guru

GoTigers2015

Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
that doesnt make any sense, as if he is a CAT B then we cant play him unless there is a LTI. A CAT A can be selected any time, so to nobble ourselves with the services of a player just doesn't pass the pub test.
Makes more sense to me if he is. Gives us one more list spot and his salary outside the TPP.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Makes more sense to me if he is. Gives us one more list spot and his salary outside the TPP.

apparently DES cant play afl games as a cat b, apparently, unless an injury* (dunno if this is true)

which is the only problem with your theory :(

outlined about 5 pages back

It would be nice to get the extra player, Hilder would be ideal... many said they would be stoked with him @ 40ish

GoTigers2015

Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
apparently DES cant play afl games as a cat b, apparently, unless an injury* (dunno if this is true)

which is the only problem with your theory :(

outlined about 5 pages back

It would be nice to get the extra player, Hilder would be ideal... many said they would be stoked with him @ 40ish
Yes I knew that, but he is unlikely to be playing in the seniors at the start next season.

No club were interested in Hilder or Finlay so must be knocks on them. It would be better to wait the MSD to get a player. Bound to be a few of the overlooked guys that improve with another preseason.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes I knew that, but he is unlikely to be playing in the seniors at the start next season.

No club were interested in Hilder or Finlay so must be knocks on them. It would be better to wait the MSD to get a player. Bound to be a few of the overlooked guys that improve with another preseason.

Finlay and Hilder were very highly rated, in some circles

one of them to add to Nyuon would be an excellent result...

GoTigers2015

Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Not in clubland. Take Phantom Drafts with a grain of salt as the clubs have professional recruiters that are better judges.

Jonty Scharenberg was rated a first round pick in 2016 and was overlooked.

Yep, I was a big rap of Hilder. Good size, contested mark, reads the play well, good at the Combine, his Yo yo specifically indicating great stamina. Thought he had a lot of good traits. Perhaps overall a touch slow, but a lot of boys at 195 are still. Reality is though neither Crows or Power took him so there must be something holding him back that plebs in back rows can't see.

This was written pre Rookie Draft. There is something else paywalled by Adelaide Now and the Addy
Dyson Hilder (North Adelaide/South Australia)
Position:
Key defender (195cm, 93kg)

The quintessential ready-made defender size-wise, Hilder would be an ideal rookie pick for a club needing a key backman. He’s an excellent intercept marker and strong one-on-one, but he’s arguably out of his comfort zone once the ball hits the deck.

This kid was great early in the year, but seemed he didn't grab his opportunities when things hotted up. Still the game he played against the Brisbane Academy was very good. An interview with him on Facebook was interesting, bit of a country boy who may just need a bit more time I think.

Lachlan Delahunty (GWS Giants Academy/NSW)
Position:
Key-position utility (192cm, 91kg)

Delahunty was given every chance to shine on the big stage this year, representing Australia and the Allies but failing to make an impact on most games. But his upside is huge, as he has excellent versatility and marking ability for his height. He can play in defence, but seems like he’s at his most dangerous in the forward line.

Back